H

harsh bajpai

here's my config

intel P4 HT 3.0GHz (LGA 775)
intel 915GAV
2*256 hynix 512MB DDR RAM
1 DVD RW drive
1 internal TV tuner card
80GB SATA hard drive (seagate of course)
winfast 7800GTX extreme

currently have a 400W iBall SMPS. Please tell me if that would be enough if not, please suggest an efficient SMPS.(my budget is max. Rs.2500)

theraven

Technomancer
u have a good enough smps
400w is better than most have
but if ur getting a new one , try gettin ur hands on a 400w powersafe for 1450 ! or even a higher rated one (450W/500W)
its much better quality than iBall
but the fact being u just udn need to waste money on it right now

OP
H

harsh bajpai

@theraven
no i'm not getting a new one, but my friends were telling me that I will definately have to get a better SMPS before i install my graphics card. but i calculated my powerconsumption at www.custompc.com and it was around 290watts in all and however crappy the iBall psu might be, i think it can handle 300watts,assuming that the wattage estimates at custompc.com are correct. I was thinking of saving some money..
any way thanx.. any more suggestions are welcome.

mangemayur

Journeyman
For P IV prescott 3.0GHz 350Watts is enough, i m usign the same, if yr SMPS is delivering the proper voltages, no need to change it

OP
H

harsh bajpai

@mangemayur
Which Graphics card do you use?
and no i don't want to spend on something i don't need.

mangemayur

Journeyman
ASUS Mine is 6600 GT / TD 128
But that will not make much difference to power supply, as the most power hungry thing we have is the prescott > 100 W

geekysage

Journeyman
@OP: I haven't personally used iBall but have heard a lot of bad things about their PSUs. You'd be better off buying a new 400W+ good SMPS (antec, or whatever is available in India) so that you don't end up seeing smoke coming out of your cabinet when you decide to install a new hard disk, which looks inevitable with your current 80GB setup.

theraven

Technomancer
nah the PSU's arent THAT bad that it'll smoke
the problem is the quality of components used and the ampere ratings and the actual readings

i say stick with it now cuz its jsut a waste
ofcourse if ur paranoid a good SMPS is always a good investment for ur pc components

OP
H

harsh bajpai

@geekysage
i'll take my chances with my psu (fingers crossed) because if anything happens each and everything in my system is well under warranty.As my system is only about 5 months old.

Ringwraith

Journeyman
having already spent that much on ur computer....its really strange that u dont want to spend a couple of thousands on ur PSU
I would suggest you buy a reputed PSU with a 12V rating of atleast 19A... on hindsight, wat is the max current rating on ur iBall?

OP
H

harsh bajpai

OK I'm convinced , i should buy an smps. afterall the majority suggests that i need one. thanx to all.. 8)

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Try out coolmaster powersupplies i just put up a asus sli primium system with this smps its good and looks very ruged. Its also cheeper than antec.

Vaibhav Bishnoi

Broken In
Hi,
Wanted to know which smps would be the cheapest and best for HD 4850 AND HD 4850 SONIC EDITION.
Please also tell which brand and how much it will cost...
Thnx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom