Is my rig's power consumption normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I badger about this sometimes, but well as my gaming rig is my working rig and my downloading rig I would like it to be as power efficient as it can get without giving up on performance.

Recently I upgraded the GPU and I don't know why but I thought that the power draw would be less, I mean it is less than before but very minimum.

This is an approx figure of the power draw, tell me what do you think of this,

Runtime- 422 minutes

Power draw- 1.40 kWh

That was with the exact same spec, but with the old GPU, the 580

And now with 970 I get,

Runtime- 428 minutes

Power draw- 1.20 kWh

The usage for both the above is pretty same. Totally work based. Just one app running and Chrome with two tabs max, that's it. So I am sure that the CPU and GPU load both are at very low.

So were my expectations wrong, when I thought that the 970 would suck less power quite significantly than the 580? Or is it my CPU? The only extra thing which you can't see in my signature is the UPS obviously (other than the Hyper 212 with two fans, and one or two extra case fans), which sucks a very minimum of 10-12 watts and the RAMs are OCed to 1600 if that matters. Honestly I don't want a power hungry PC, not any more, because this same system is on for at least 16 hours a day, every day of a year. One friend said that his 4770k system takes a total of 80 watts per hour when in Idle (I think he has a 760 or something), well mine is taking 165 watts, I am not entirely sure if CPU is the thing here. I have ordered a X5675 anyway, don't know whether it will make things better or not. The thing is I only care about Idle consumption, because out of those 16 hours 10-12 hours are idle usage, I absolutely don't give a damn about load consumption.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Aditya Tolikar

Ultimate... forming later
Try underclocking instead of overclocking. If you are able to do this without restarting your comp(i.e. change profile by software), then it can be a viable option. Just uC at idle times and OC while working. You'll see that underclocking the gpu is easier than the cpu. Get the power consumption close to the range in which your PSU gives optimal efficiency for the uC profile and you may get a few kWh off the meter.

BTW your signature is not visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom