Is it alright to convert HDD from NTFS to FAT32?

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
Hi guys I have a sony LED tv and love watching movies on it, but when I connect my seagate HDD it is not able to recognize it, probably because it is NTFS, so I want to convert it to FAT32, please can you tell me is it safe to convert my HDD to FAT32?
Will my tv read it?
Will it function the way it functions now?
Can I convert it without having to lose my data or formatting it?

Please guide me on this and how to convert?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
there is a technical limitation on FAT32 that a file cannot be more than 4GB, so if you have a 10 gig 1080p file then you wont be able to store it in FAT32 drive . And IIRC you cannot convert NTFS to FAT32 without formating.

OP
sam9953

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
there is a technical limitation on FAT32 that a file cannot be more than 4GB. and IIRC you cannot convert NTFS to FAT32 without formating.

Huh? Really then incase I convert the HDD, okay even after format then what will happen when I transfer FIFA 13 setup file of 6.5 GB? Will it not accept it?

gameranand

Living to Play
Huh? Really then incase I convert the HDD, okay even after format then what will happen when I transfer FIFA 13 setup file of 6.5 GB? Will it not accept it?

First try a pendrive with NTFS & Fat32 format and see which one TV reads properly and then risk your data on HDD. :)

OP
sam9953

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
First try a pendrive with NTFS & Fat32 format and see which one TV reads properly and then risk your data on HDD. :)

I believe all pen drives are by default with FAT32, right? and my TV reads all my pen drives wonderfully.

gameranand

Living to Play
I believe all pen drives are by default with FAT32, right? and my TV reads all my pen drives wonderfully.

Then watch movie from pendrive. :) I mean why do you want to connect the HDD to TV. First of all if its a external portable HDD (2.5") then there is no guarantee that it will get the required power from TV and if you have 3.5" external HDD then it should work.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!

No. It won't. And specifically, for that 4GB file size limitation, NTFS came into picture.

OP
sam9953

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
Then watch movie from pendrive. :) I mean why do you want to connect the HDD to TV. First of all if its a external portable HDD (2.5") then there is no guarantee that it will get the required power from TV and if you have 3.5" external HDD then it should work.

Power is.not the problem, no external power is needed for.my.hdd, plus how do i convert?

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
Power is.not the problem, no external power is needed for.my.hdd, plus how do i convert?

You did not get what gameranand said, your hdd does not require power because PCs provide the required amount of power to the external by USB, in your case TV is not able to provide the required power.
If your hd requires external power then it might work.

BTW, When you will try to copy a file larger than 4 GB, you will get an error like cannot copy. And while converting all your data will be lost, so you need to backup it different place.

And did you partitioned your hdd?

gameranand

Living to Play

Well thats the problem. Your HDD gets the power from the USB port so its not sure if your TV would provide that power to HDD or not. As for changing you just have to format it using FAT32 file-system available in Format options. :)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Its always recommended to backup data first before doing partition conversion (coz u never know when crysis will happen)
also,NTFS is far better than Fat32 (like an upgrade).

Which Sony Model u own?
read the manual if its written that HDD are supported (2.5") then only go ahead with conversion process.

OP
sam9953

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
Oh okay nw i get what you are trying to say, and no i have not partitioned my hdd, that's because i dont know about it. Can you please tell me more about it

OP
sam9953

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
I need this first :cool:

Mate I am using a Sony Ex420, 32 inch. I am about to do the conversion after taking a backup, incase I don't like it and it does not work then I will change back to NTFS,
But guys I don't know about this hdd partitioning. Please tell me.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
But guys I don't know about this hdd partitioning. Please tell me.

I suppose this TV supports HDD playback.
and u don't have to worry about HDD partition..its splitting of HDD drives (e.g: C,D,E etc)

make a backup of the external HDD

Right click My Computer - > Manage - > Select Disk Management under Storage.

Here you can remove the NTFS partition and recreate it using FAT32.

OP
sam9953

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
I suppose this TV supports HDD playback.
and u don't have to worry about HDD partition..its splitting of HDD drives (e.g: C,D,E etc)

make a backup of the external HDD

Right click My Computer - > Manage - > Select Disk Management under Storage.

Here you can remove the NTFS partition and recreate it using FAT32.

When I click "format" I get an option to convert to "exFAT" is that the option to select? Will that make my HDD , FAT32?

And ya whitestar you are right, my TV does not support both.

saswat23

Human Spambot
First convert your pendrive in NTFS format and see if your TV is able to read it. If it reads, only then format. Else dont get into all these hassale.

OP
sam9953

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
First convert your pendrive in NTFS format and see if your TV is able to read it. If it reads, only then format. Else dont get into all these hassale.

It does, can you please answer my question.