Is HP DV5-1015tx or Dell XPS M1530 Better Choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unni

In the zone
I was planning to buy Dell XPS M1530 and I have been waiting for about 3 months so that they will start giving nVidia 9600M GT and Centrino 2 (and hopefully Ubuntu too). I was running out of patience, still I decided to wait. 2 days ago, I saw an ad of an HP dv5 laptop and decided to check out. Yesterday, I went to an HP store (in Bengaluru) and its specs have put me in a confusing loop over whether I should buy XPS or dv5. The specs (according to the laptop shop) are as below:

Model Name: HP Pavillion DV5-1015TX
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 (2.0 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 1066 MHz FSB, Enhanced StepSpeed Technology)
Chipset: Intel PM45 Express Chipset
Memory: 3 GB PC2-6400 DDR2 (800 MHz)
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB dedicated graphics, upto 1791 MB TAG memory
HDD: 250 GB Serial ATA, 150 MB/sec @ 5400 rpm - HP ProtectSmart HDD Protection
Optical Drive: 8x SuperMulti LightScribe Double Layer (8.5 GB) DVD +RW/ +R Writer
Display: 15.4" Widescreen (WSXGA) with Flush Glass Screen
OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Premium Home Edition SP1 (32 bit)
Bluetooth: Integrated Buletooth 2.0 HP module
Wireless LAN: Intel WiFi Link 5100 Wireless AGN
Speakers: Altec Lansing Stereo Speakers
Digital Media Reader: 5 in 1 (Secure Digital, SDIO, Multi-media card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro and xD picture card
Modem: Integrated 56K Modem
TV Tuner: Hybrid TV Tuner Card (Inbuilt)
Special Features: Expansion Port 3, 2 stereo headphone jacks/line out, Digital Dual Array Microphones, 3 USB 2.0 ports, 1 IEEE 1394a port (4 pins), 1 S-video TV-Out, 1 RJ-11, 1 RJ-45, 1 DC power in, 1 VGA out, Kensington lock slot, HP Quickplay, HP Mobile ExpressCard Remote Control, Integrated VGA Webcam, Interactive backlit media controls, Next Gen Express Card/54 slot, Fingerprint reader, 3D DriveGuard HDD Protection
Software: MS OneNote, Cyberlink DVD Suite, Quickplay for Windows ver 3.7, Cyberlink Youcam, Muvee AutoProducer Basic Edition, HP Games, HP Photosmart Essential, Digital Persona Finger Print Reader
Carry case
Free Wi-Music Receiver, Optical mouse, pendrive, etc.
Warranty: 1 year limited global warranty

Price: Rs. 62990/- excluding tax (66k aprox. including tax)

My main concerns are as follows:
1. I cannot find this model listed in HP's India site. Also, a Google search gives only HP's Russian site giving this model. The guy at the HP shop told that this model came only 20 days ago. Will I be taking a risk if I purchase this?
2. Is the processor powerful enough for HD video encoding? I will be pruchasing a HD handycam sometime in the future and I want the lappy to be powerful enough to handle it. (Not sure whether this dv5 model has HDMI output.)
3. Just because it has Centrino 2, will the lappy allow me to switch between onboard and discrete graphics?
4. Is the display resolution a good choice for watching movies and playing games?
5. Does the 9600M GT have DDR2 or DDR3 memory?
6. And most importanly, how does this compare with XPS M1530?

Please give your thoughts on this. I am unable to take a decision on whether I should wait for some more time for the XPS or whether I should buy this.

Last edited:

acewin

Point Blanc
well me too, as I was awed when I saw this in ezone, bangalore.
You can say its big buy against Dell XPS. and the config it has got I can say you can go for it.
Also the proccy is 7350 and not 7530

HP products in market and site as usual are different huh,
as for the DDR2 or DDR3 I think it is DDR2

BTW the config is real just search with 1015tx specification.
I was led into Hongkong site, LOL. and then forum.notebookreview, where I found many of guys have this there.

Last edited:

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
You can go for HP one as it look like a real competitor for Dell XPS... :D
9600M GT... its DDR3 so dont worry abt that;)

AshwinDR

Broken In
Hi Dude,
I also stay in bengaluru and am searching for a laptop with kind of 256MB graphics card and good peocessor and RAM as i need the same for using Animation softwares such as MAYA and so on.

But i checked out the compaq's recent model which is the same as HP in all the options but graphics card being 256MB dedicated and surpricingly price 49,990 + taxes and i know a place in bangalore where you can get the same for around 50k with taxes and credit card too. So i feel this is an absolutely steal but would like to have responses from others as far as performance of compaq laptops are concerned and about the graphics card 9200M GS.

One more point there is an offer for students too for which u can get any one of the below gift options too.

Gift Options available for you with all CQ Compaq Presario Notebook or HP Pavilion Notebook PCs
a) Backpack + Creative MP3 player with inbuilt speakers (Student to pay handling charges of Rs. 999)
b) Backpack + Wifi music receiver (Student to pay handling charges of payment Rs.999)
c) Backpack + Wifi headphone (Student to pay handling charges of payment Rs.1299)

Here is the config details
Processor type
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor P7350
• 2.0 GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 1066 MHz FSB
Operating system installed
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic
Standard memory
3072 MB
Memory type
DDR2 800 MHz
Memory layout
(1 x 2048 MB + 1 x 1024 MB)
Maximum memory
Supports up to 8GB DDR2 memory
Internal drivesInternal hard disk drive
250 GB
Hard disk controller
SATA Hard Disk Drive
Hard disk drive speed
5400 rpm
Optical drive type
SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
System featuresMemory card device
5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
Modem
High speed 56K modem
Network interface
Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Wireless technologies
802.11b/g WLAN
Wireless capability
Bluetooth® wireless networking
External I/O ports
3 USB 2.0 (3rd shared with eSATA port), 1 HDMI, eSATA Combo, 1 VGA, 1 RJ-11, 1 RJ-45, Expansion Port 3, 1 headphone-out, 1 mic-in, Consumer IR, AC adapter, Integrated Fingerprint reader
Expansion slots
1 ExpressCard/54 Slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)
Display size
14.1" Diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display
Display resolution
1280 x 800
Video adapter
NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS
Video RAM
256 MB dedicated memory
Speakers and microphone
Altec Lansing® speakers
Keyboard
101 key compatible keyboard
Pointing device
Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical Scroll Up/Down pad
Power supply type
90 W AC Power Adapter
Dimensions / weight / warrantyWeight
From 2.40 kg
Dimensions (W x D x H)
33.4 cm (L) x 23.7 cm (W) x 3.3 cm (min H) / 4.0 cm (max H)
Warranty statement
1 year, parts and labour

Regards
Ashwin

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
@ashwin...

yea..compaqs and hp with same config do come in 2 diff price.....though the same company...

the reason is build qlty..u have to use them both together to identify it...HP's provide a very high component qlty and design(not just cosmetic...the cooling too) than compaqs....period....

so its better to buy the HP if u can...

OP
unni

unni

In the zone
Thanks for your replies. Please give me a reply for the following:

2. Is the processor powerful enough for HD video encoding? I will be pruchasing a HD handycam sometime in the future and I want the lappy to be powerful enough to handle it. (Not sure whether this dv5 model has HDMI output.)

3. Just because it has Centrino 2, will the lappy allow me to switch between onboard and discrete graphics?

4. Is the display resolution a good choice for watching movies and playing games?

AshwinDR

Broken In
The Model Name is Compaq CQ45-137TX Laptop and the laptop's price is 49,990 + taxes(4%).

I will check out the build quality from ezone and post my views on the same.

Regards
Ashwin

The dv5 model has one hdmi port in it.

You can see its complete configuration in the below mentioned link.

*www.cyberpark4u.com/laptops/hp-pavilion/Pavilion dv51015TX.html

Regards
Ashwin

And the link for the compaq laptop is as below
*www.cyberpark4u.com/laptops/compaq-presario/Presario CQ45-137TX.html

Check out the review for the HP one, it quite nice too

*www.notebookcheck.net/Short-Review-HP-Pavilion-dv5-1032eg-Entertainment-Notebook.10729.0.html

Last edited:
OP
unni

unni

In the zone
The dv5 model has one hdmi port in it.

You can see its complete configuration in the below mentioned link.

*www.cyberpark4u.com/laptops/hp-pavilion/Pavilion dv51015TX.html

Check out the review for the HP one, it quite nice too

*www.notebookcheck.net/Short-Review-HP-Pavilion-dv5-1032eg-Entertainment-Notebook.10729.0.html
Thanks man. The configuration link and the review are great. I think I am closer to making my decision (in favour of XPS) because of the following points from the review:
1. The built-in nVidia GeForce 9600M GT with 400 MHz 'fast' GDDR2 is about as powerful as its predecessor, the 8600M GT with GDDR3.
2. The 3DMark 06 benchmark result is, e.g., more or less identical to the one of the older Dell XPS M1530.
3.The average brightness of 158 cd/m² of this reflecting display is only sufficient for indoor operation. The resolution of 1280x800 pixel is also not outstanding high.

AshwinDR

Broken In
Hey Unni,

If you are buying xps 1530, let me know the best price and where you are getting from. I will also update the price if i find any good bargains. But i have heard tata CHROMA in Eva Mall gives u a good deal for Dell laptops.

Regards
Ashwin

OP
unni

unni

In the zone
I will be buying XPS only after they start giving Centrino 2 and 9600GT. Anyway, I will be paying a visit to some shops in Bengaluru tomorrow (Saturday). I will give you a price list on Monday.

The key difference between Dell XPS and HP is that the former offers you a very strong and powerful CPU and a Decent GPU, while the later offers you a decent CPU and a powerful GPU.

Your choice should depend upon the WORK you plan to do with the laptop.

If light gaming is enough, and your primary concern is fast HD video encoding, NEITHER would be a good choice and I would instead advice you to go for a Dell Studio 15, which can playback HD content effortlessly and handle older games easily and newer ones at lower resolutions and settings.

If you want a desktop replacement with 17" screen which can play all games at decent settings and has a powerful CPU, look no further than the Studio 17.

But if your main aim is GAMING, then this HP laptop is the perfect choice.

If you don't want 17" studio, and want 15" but still want to have a good GPU and a nice CPU, get an XPS 1530, but be warned that the 8600m GT in the XPS is FLAWED and has a very short expected lifespan due to a bug in the manufacturing process.

OP
unni

unni

In the zone
I paid a visit to some of the shops in Bengaluru (Croma near Forum, Laptop World in Shivaji Nagar, ComputerWareHouse in MG Road, Computer Planet in MG Road and Croma in MG Road). I was able to find XPS M1530 only in Brigade Road Croma. There, the price is exactly same as what is mentioned in the Dell site. In fact, from what I understand from the words of the sales person, purchasing from Croma and purchasing directly from Dell's site are same. Even if you are purchasing from Croma, what they will do is place your order in Dell's website (just like what we can do ourselves). After selecting the configuration, they will place your order and the system will be delivered to your address after 10-15 days. Regarding the payment, if you are paying using credit card, Dell guy will call you one phone after placing the order for the card number. The only advantage, I see, in purchasing from Croma is that you can get 2 years extended warranty by paying some extra. Also, they do not charge any service charges for using credit cards.

Coming to my lappy choice:
I thought what would happen if I just pay a visit to some of the shops on Saturday. I will just check out how XPS M1530 and HP dv5-1015tx looks in real. So, I did. After going through some of the shops (which I mentioned earlier), I reached Croma. There, I saw XPS M1530 for the first name with my naked eyes. I saw HP one also. I have to say, I fell in love with HP one at first sight itself. In my opinion, the HP one looks better than XPS. Some portions of my brain took over the portion which was telling me not to buy any laptop till XPS with Centrino 2 and 9600GT is out. Within 45 minutes, I walked out of the store with the HP dv5-1015tx.
Price: Rs. 64999/- (including taxes)
I paid some Rs. 3500 extra for extended 2 year warranty (provided by Croma, not HP).

Once again, thank you all for your replies.

sumit8695

Live life the techie way
Hi Unni,

Please let me know whether the free wifi music device, mouse & pen drive are to be obtained through web redemption. Or, are those items provided at the time of purchase itself ?

HP india website mentions only the wifi music device as part of its promotional offer for pavilion notebooks, which is to be processed through web redemption.

Thanks,
Sumit

Last edited:
OP
unni

unni

In the zone
Thanks very much guys.
Please let me know whether the free wifi music device, mouse & pen drive are to be obtained through web redemption. Or, are those items provided at the time of purchase itself ?
They didn't provide at the time of purchase. They told me to register in *hp.com/in/promotions. I will get only the wi-music device.

From HP's site:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]REDEMPTION PROCESS [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] 2 Simple steps to avail of this offer[/FONT] Step 1 Please fill-in Online Claim Form, which is available at the end of this page after you click on "Register Me" button.
On submitting the form a redemption code will be generated and it will be emailed to you. This is an auto-generated email, so please ensure you provide your correct email address.
The redemption code is important and should be mentioned in all the communication with the HP Redemption Cell. Step 2 Please send the following documents to the required address (Given below). All these documents are required in order to avail the Offer. Incomplete claim is subject to rejection. 1 [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Copy of Purchase invoice. Please mention your redemption code on the invoice copy[/FONT] 2 Original Bar Coded product serial number. This is pasted on the cardboard packaging of your Compaq Presario product. 3 Please make a Demand Draft of Rs. 500 (per product purchased) drawn in favour of 'Solutions Integrated Marketing Services Pvt Ltd' payable at New Delhi towards handling and processing charges.
You can also send us a Cheque for Rs.500, payable at par, in favour of Solutions Integrated Marketing Services Pvt Ltd'. However, the gift will be shipped only after the payment has been realised. Outstation Cheques will not be accepted.
Last date for receiving documents is 20 September 2008.
REDEMPTION CELL ADDRESS HP Redemption Cell
First Floor, A – 2, Okhla Industrial Area, Phase – I
New Delhi – 110020

Phone - 011-41306700 (14 lines)
Fax - 011-41306731

Note: If you have bought more than one product, you have to provide purchase invoices for all of the products purchased.
Please note that the offer is valid on purchase made from 01 July 2008 - 31 August 2008. Online Redemption open till 10 September 2008 . Last date for receiving documents at HP Redemption Cell is 20 Septemeber 2008 (from the same link).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom