iPhone is largest product launch in history

Status
Not open for further replies.

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
AT&T boss gets excited about the iPhone

The iPhone will be the largest launch in the history of consumer electronics, according to AT&T's CEO Stan Sigman.

Sigman was speaking at the commencement ceremony at his former college, West Texas A&M University.

He discussed the 37 years since he graduated from the University, saying: "I never dreamed I'd be speaking to you now. I also never dreamed I would be part of the largest commercial product launch in the history of electronics."

He then revealed that the first iPhone had already reached Texas – Sigman had handed one across to the Dr O'Brien, president of the university, which he held aloft to cheers and applause.

You can see it all on video just here.

Source

Last edited:

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
ehh, largest?? like the biggest phone? or the widest market to which it is released

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Newton, they don't even make it anymore. That thing sucked. It is regarded as one of the biggest failures in computing industry. $700 for pathetic handwriting recognition :D

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I know it was in 1993, thats why I said. Newton sucked big time...while nepcker is again trying to gain some attention saying "Apple came with PDA first"

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
gx_saurav said:
nepcker is again trying to gain some attention saying "Apple came with PDA first"

:))

And coming back to the topic, iPhone is also the most over-hyped product launch in history

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
I know it was in 1993, thats why I said. Newton sucked big time...while nepcker is again trying to gain some attention saying "Apple came with PDA first"
Oh, but Apple did. I don't know why you have to butt yourself into every thread with your malformed opinions, but Apple was the company to invent the first PDA. And it did not suck either. A testament to the fact is that there are hundreds of fifteen year old Newtons still working today and people are using them. These people are trying to somehow port the Newton operating system to the more sophisticated hardware of Palm devices today.

Yes, it had poor handwriting recognition. Guess what, Windows 1.0 had poor everything. Photoshop's first version came on a floppy. People used punched cards to store data before floppies. Things have to start somewhere and the Newton was a marvelous device for a first generation product. Apple wasn't into the wrong market or had a non-worthy product, they were just ahead of their time. Even the concept of computers was only just beginning to gain acceptance at that time and Apple launched an expensive device that sounded too good to be true. Plus, it had poor handwriting recognition. Palm capitalised on Apple's failure and came to the market much later with a cheaper product that did not have handwriting recognition at all. So, the device had no flaws, but it was missing the one feature that was the reason for flaws in the Newton. Later, of course, they improved upon handwriting recognition as technology evolved and came out with better PDAs and captured the market due to lack of competition and good products.

Learn your history lessons before you start commenting on public forums. Or better still, don't comment at all.

News Flash: Apple iPhone receives FCC approval

By AppleInsider Staff
Published: 01:45 PM EST

Apple Inc. on Thursday received the official go-ahead on its first ever mobile handset, as regulators for the Federal Communications Commission gave the iPod maker the green light to commence sales of the device in the United States.

According to FCC documents obtained by AppleInsider, the "GSM Cellular Telephone with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi" carries model number A1203 and FCC ID: BCGA1203.

In an SAR Test Report conducted on February 6th, 2007, FCC Test Lab Manager Lothar Schmidt wrote the following:

"The Apple Inc. A1203 GSM Cellular Telephone with Bluetooth and Wifi, FCC ID: BCGA1203, is in compliance with the limits for general population uncontrolled exposure specified in FCC 2.1093. The device was tested according to the measurement standards and procedures specified in FCC OET Bulletin 65, Supplement C (Edition 01-01) and IEEE p1528/D1.2, April 21, 2003."

Read more...

Not that there was any doubt about it. They basically clear everything that is shoved under their nose, but anyway, it's all ready to be shipped now. :D

Last edited:
OP
nepcker

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
while nepcker is again trying to gain some attention saying "Apple came with PDA first"
You mean to say that I constantly keep saying that Apple was the first to come up with a PDA. Well, Apple has come up with the first PDA.

Anyway, can you show me any other of my posts mentioning about Newton being the first PDA?

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Though there is no GSM locked handset in India, I think the iPhone will be the first one. There is no other way they can provide visual voicemail to iPhone customers. If they give it unlocked, Indian iPhone users will be deprived of the awesome feature.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
If the choice in the USA is any indication, then they should choose Reliance because it has the largest number of subscribers among the private carriers. But I don't think they will choose Reliance because Reliance's network does not even support EDGE yet. Hope they go with Airtel (if it is a locked phone).

goobimama said:
If it's anything above 35k screw it, I'm getting myself an HDTV....
You're willing to spend thirty five thousand on it! :eek:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
reliance??? only its cdma network has a large user base. its gsm network is next to zero, very marginal. afaik, iphone is gsm only (or do they haf any plans for a cdma model?).

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
No, they don't. Well, Reliance is pretty famous in Bengal so I thought it has a very large market share. Which is the company with the largest share?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom