Internet speed going down bcoz of Torrents.

6Diablo9

How to change user title?
In my office we have a 2mbps broadband Internet line. The Internet comes to our system via a Router. I'm the only person who requires Internet at my place. I'm a Graphic Designer so I've to upload lot of files over net, so I thought I'd use Internet (Downloading) discreetly. So I installed a torrent client on my PC. But the problem is whenever I turn on the torrent the whole network PCs Internet goes slow. I donno what is happening. The max speed I can get out of my internet is 190kBps. But if I turn on torrent client even with 30kBps the whole networks speed goes so down that even a webpage does not open. Plz help me.

I'm not much of a network person plz use easy language for me to understand.

doomgiver

Warframe
check with your network admin.

ask him if torrent downloads are being throttled.

also, download some brush back off piratebay, just to appear legit, and show him the speeds.

OP
6Diablo9

6Diablo9

^^ I do not think that torrents are really throttled. Problem is at the instant I start BitTorrent, the whole Internet on our network goes slow. Even if speeds I'm getting on torrent are extremely low.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^ I do not think that torrents are really throttled. Problem is at the instant I start BitTorrent, the whole Internet on our network goes slow. Even if speeds I'm getting on torrent are extremely low.

Then the throughput of your line actually is not 2 Mbps. Even slow torrents are throttling the whole LAN, means your speed is substantially lower than 2 Mbps. Seems like you are on some 512kbps connection.

casual_gamer

In the zone
i have a single pc and same problem here. i have bsnl 2mbps, websites don't open or they open very slow even if i set download speed in torrents to less than 100KBps, my original download speed is 200KBps. so even if torrents use less bandwidth the remaining 100KBps bandwidth is not distributed to other applications.

arnab.d287

Still A Student!!!
TOrrent clients actually use up a lot of bandwidth while downloading.. You can limit it by going to the preference option and make the maximum download rate to 30kbps or anything that may speed up your browsing speed.. These goes for windows only. Dunno about linux

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Limit the download and upload speed through the utorrent client, also encrypt the traffic from the options so ISP cant identify what type of traffic it is , hence wont be able to throttle.

OP
6Diablo9

6Diablo9

I'd've put up the results network monitoring but we have problems in LAN today so I'll put it up tomorrow. The problem starts as soon as I turn ON the torrent client, the speed I'm getting doesn't really matter be it 30 or 100. And I'm sure that nor ISP nor the Admin is throttling my speed. And even if they're doing it, that shouldn't really affect the whole networks internet speed.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Also sometimes though we could be downloading @ 10 kbps on torrent but the upload speed could be unlimited effectively chocking your bandwidth...Set the upload speed to predetermined cap.

R2K

In the Zone
Reduce the upload Speed and the 'number of connections per torrent' to a lower amount. You can find the options for these in the preferences menu if you are using utorrent.

Top Bottom