Internet Explorer Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmanya

Journeyman
Hey, despite being proved that firefox and opera are better, my father refuses to use any browser other than the standard internet explorer that comes with xp.
Now-a-days when he closes internet explorer close to 48 windows of IE seem to open. I checked with norton and i don't seem to have a virus. Why exactly does this happen? And i think i might have to uninstall IE and install 2007 or something. My question is how exactly do i uninstall IE? it doesn't show up in my Add-remove programs list, and if i remember correctly there's a registry hack involved. Can someone tell me what i have to do?
Any help would be appreciated.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
You cannot un-install IE, you can upgrade it.

Follow this link, choose your OS & download: *www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
Now-a-days when he closes internet explorer close to 48 windows of IE seem to open.

Looks like your PC is infected with a Adware which causes Pop-Up windows in IE... (IE is prone to Adwares and Spywares)...

Since you can't tell your dad to change browser...I suggest you install Some adware and Spyware Cleaners...
Use these :
1.) Adware
2.) SpyBot Search And Detroy

Unistalling IE:

IE can removed.
Go to add romove programs. The 3rd Option in side list is "Add Remove Windows Components".. Through it you can remove IE. Its not recommended though as other programs depend on it.

anandk

Distinguished Member
IE is integrated into the OS. Cant be removed. If you have upgraded from IE6 to IE7, only then you may see and option to remove IE (ie IE7). Looks like an adware infection to me. The fault is not of IE if you suddenly have multiple IE's opening up on their own. Scan in safe mode with a good anti virus and anti spyware. Wouldnt be surprised if your Norton has missed infections. Try Avast/AVG/Kaspersky/Nod32 and AdAware/Spybot/a-squared instead. Get your HJT log analysed at www.hijackthis.de to be sure.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Just a trick, get some IE skin for firefox and see if you can made your dad use it :D

OP
K

karmanya

Journeyman
@rohan, have you heard of the saying "a little bit of knowledge..."? Its the same way with my dad, he knows just enough to be able to distinguish firefox from IE, but enough to recognise that windows products may not necessarily be better as compared to certain free ones. He doesn't even let me run linux live cd's, forget about dual booting.
Ill try to scan the system, thanks for your help guys

Amir.php

Flying Visitor
You cannot un-install IE, you can upgrade it.

Follow this link, choose your OS & download: *www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx

We can Uninstall ie if your os is XP.
Control Panel> Add Remove Programs> In the Left "Add/Remove windows component"> Uncheck internet explorer from the component List.

g_goyal2000

Youngling
We can Uninstall ie if your os is XP.
Control Panel> Add Remove Programs> In the Left "Add/Remove windows component"> Uncheck internet explorer from the component List.
It doesn't uninstall it. It just removes it's shortcut from Desktop, Start Menu, Quick Launch toolbar.
Confirm u'r facts before u post a reply/solution.

Amir.php

Flying Visitor
Sorry iMav and g_goyal2000 really i was wrong here.
Mai samjha
Control Panel> Add Remove Programs> In the Left "Add/Remove windows component"> Uncheck
it will uninstall internet explrer. But really ie is now available in ProgramFiles folder.
Actually ie is an essential part of windows. we can not Uninstall it.
Thanks for clear my doubts here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom