Intel Sandy Bridge E and LGA2011 Discussion

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
MSI's Upcoming X79 Motherboard Teased
EVGA X79 Classified E779 Motherboard Pictured At GeForce LAN 6 - The EVGA X79 Clasified Motherboard - Legit Reviews
Gigabyte Also Demos G1.Assassin 2 X79 Motherboard at IDF 2011 - Softpedia

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Wow jas these really look nice. X79 is going to be one heck of an enthusiast platform. A true replacement of the legendary X58.

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
seriously i dont understand why would anyone buy a locked processor at the same price of 2600k.

3000 series is looking gloomy right now and the fact the included wc might leak.

i think 2600k is the way to go right now , ill intently wait for haswell for a respectable intell upgrade or just go the BD way for just bragging 4.2 ghz turbo :D

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
That will be another first in tech world: Locked Enthusiast CPU! :D

Seriously though, this is what happens, when there's no competition.

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
seriously i dont understand why would anyone buy a locked processor at the same price of 2600k.

3000 series is looking gloomy right now and the fact the included wc might leak.

i think 2600k is the way to go right now , ill intently wait for haswell for a respectable intell upgrade or just go the BD way for just bragging 4.2 ghz turbo :D

Buddy i7 920 was also locked. Did it not sell well? Not all nehalem cpu's were unlocked. My i5 750 is also locked.

But all can be overclocked because the bclk is not locked. Its a tedious method but gives results neverthless. Similarly all non BE amd cpu's are also locked. But all can be overclocked.

i7 3820 @ $294 might be a serious threat for 2600k. Has hyperthreading , QPI , quad channel memory and a large cache including core level improvements. These are enough to propel it past 2600k. Their 6 core cpu's are highly priced and in a class of their own. Not for common men like most of us.

Bulldozer is finished.:evil: Although personally i never wanted this to happen.

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
If the prices are cheap, I may upgrade my system to SB-E series. Otherwise not really worth it, all I really do is game.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check this

Intel's Ivy Bridge Processors to Reduce Power Consumption to 77W - X-bit labs

this is really great - but the low power consuming SB-E cpus will come with some great performance and of-course with a steep price tag as x79 mobos won't be cheap and same goes for the cpu ;-)

Hmm, i've out of this h/w scene for a long time and I know little now.
So my n00b question is that where Ivy Bridge another name for SB-E ?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, they are separate processors going in separate socket. There may be a Ivy Bridge-E some time later.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Ivybridge simply is a die shrink of sandybridge with improved cache and better integrated gpu.

Sandybridge-E are top of the line enthusiast grade lineup with core level improvements and better peripheral interconnects.

Sandy-E for socket 2011 will also get 22nm treatment similar to ivybridge next year. Currently, it uses 32nm fabrication.

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
Man people here have a i7 2600k and still ready for upgrade for ivy bridge..... And I am without a PC.......... Computing is for lakhpatis....

mrcool63

Journeyman
great news.. just got an email from noctua saying they will be providing free 2011 mounting upgrade kits. you just have to give them proof of purchase of noctua heatsink and a 2011 mobo or cpu..

i got the nm-90 upgrade kit this way only..:)

also bclk overclocking in sb-e seems limited, not as much as sandy but still quite complicated going by the anandtech article summary..

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ noctua is continuing a great trend so that the buyers of of them don't feel the product they have just bought is just outdated with a new cpu socket release - every other cpu cooler manufacturers should do the same for SB-E cpus ;-)

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Intel Sandy Bridge-E Core i7-3930K & i7-3960X Get Listed | Maximum-Tech
MSI X79A-GD65 8D Motherboard Pictured by VR-Zone.com

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Related product FX8150, really? :lol:

*www.maximum-tech.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/intel-core-i7-3930k-listed.png

Top Bottom