Intel Core i5 Lynnfield 2.66 GHz Tested

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohancool

Broken In
Intel's quad-core Core i5 2.66 GHz processor based on the Lynnfield core, was tested on an Intel reference-design P55 motherboard (DIBX_CRB) by forum members of XFastest. The processor accompanies 2.80 GHz and 2.93 GHz variants higher up in the series, and is expected to be priced at $196

The test bed was put through 3DMark Vantage (Performance and eXtreme settings), Cinebench R10, Queen, Photoworxx and AES tests of Everest. The GPU is of little relevance, as the CPU test 1 is what is to be looked at. At Queen, the setup with 4 cores and HyperThreading enabled, edged a dual-Xeon L5320 (8 cores) setup. It proved to be roughly 25% faster than Core 2 Extreme QX9650 at Photoworxx, and scored marginally higher than it AES.

Source + Benchmark Pics :-
*www.techpowerup.com/95162/Intel_Core_i5_Lynnfield_2.66_GHz_Tested.html

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
hmm. not sure how valid that is but it certainly doesn't look that great.

BTW, it's faster than QX6700 and not QX9650. Also, it can't be compared to Xeon's which are meant for servers and not for multimedia.

QX6700 is okay kind of processor and these benchmarks means that Intel is going to have hard time competing with Phenom II X4's.

one thing that I did not like is very high multiplier of 20x for a 2.66GHz processor. That is gonna hurt for overclocking :(

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
^^ LOL

High multiplier is actually gonna help!!!!

But the thing I found strange was HYPER THREADING on this procc, as u all mite remember, HT support wasn't to be there on the cheapest Core i5 procc.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Fudzilla says it's faster than a Phenom II X4 955 B.E., but the platform i.e. P55 + DDR3 might still cost more than old and cheap AM2+ mobos and DDR2 ram.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
but the OP says, it has HT...
and btw, X4 955 is said to be competing with i7 920 and almost as fast. Then how come i5 faster than that?
Ans here comes another socket for Intel.. what are they thinking? IS it a trick to leave i7 on premium [expensive chipset] ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom