Installing ubuntu in college computers: How do I connect to the Network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I have installed ubuntu 7.04 in one of the computer in my dept computer room. Through the windows computer, I found the gateway address and connected it to the main modem/ router. This connection requires only the gateway address.

When I try to ping the gateway address, it is successful. In "Network" I can see many computers, even of other dept. But I can't connect to the internet through firefox.

What is the problem and how do I correct this? If I am successful in this all the computers in my computer room will be converted to linux as thry are having a problem with viruses and stuff and most of the computers are mostly down because of that.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Maybe you use a proxy for internet connection? Check proxy settings on the windows PCs and enter the same on Ubuntu Firefox.

try to copy all the windows network settings including proxy to the ubuntu install, and it should work just fine.

have you tried ubuntu gutsy gibbon? Better install a newer distro while you are at it...

PS: Linux in collages... the only reason students don't like them much is because you can't easily hide Mortal Kombat 4 in an iconless and nameless folder hidden from view of the attendent. Xubuntu is the best for Indian schools and collages as they often have old computers with less processor power and ram.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
It just has a router. There is no server system. My guess is that there is just one server system for many department. I could access many of the computers in the network except the ones which were password protected.

I copied the Gateway address of the router from the windows PC with "ipconfig" command. What else I do need to copy from there and copy to what?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You'd need an IP, if you assign a random IP it just might conflict with some other IP in the network so won't work.
And you'll surely need DNS servers else how would DNS be resolved.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Here is what I got from ipconfig /all

Windows IP configuration
Host Name............:panjab-c25162b3
Primary Dns Suffix...:
Node Type............:Unknown
IP Routing Enabled...:No
WINS Proxy Enabled...:No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix .:
Description...........:ADMtek AN983 based ethernet adapter
Physical Address......:00-50-BF-A5-CD-11
DHCP Enabled..........:NO
IP Address............:192.168.16.98
Subnet Mask...........:255.255.255.0
Default Gateway.......:192.168.16.1

Now how do I enter relevant information in DNS tab.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I installed and if I'm correct I have DHCP enabled and it can access the internet fine. I did the same thing with my computer when I took it to the internet cafe and I could see and browse with no problem.

praka123

left this forum longback
@baccilus:try enabling dhcp as gksudo network-admin>properties>enable dhcp.
that will solve the problem i suppose.
else in ur /etc/network/interfaces values as below:
*www.cyberciti.biz/faq/setting-up-an-network-interfaces-file/

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
With DHCP enabled I can't even ping the gateway address like I can with the static addresses. One of my friends had the same problem-he could connect to the local network but not the internet.

I think I need to learn a lot more of linux to try this networking stuff. Panga ley liya college mein.

vaithy

In the zone
Hello,
My problem may be similiar to the above mentioned thread,so pl. guide me. I am under the LAN set up of my office (more than 500 clients across cities) and my computer has been allotted a static IP addresses. All are running under primarily Windows 2000 server and clients,some of them XP. Mine is XP, but installed mandriva-2007 as dual booting. I configured Samba as well and in the networking setup I give the static IP allotted to me , (exactly as windows network configuration. Now I can see some computers in the LAN I am not able to browse my interanet site where our web portal situated. In windows to access our portal we have to type the portal IP address such as 10.xx.xx.xx/ in the browser, but in linux it is showing that the server not found.
One of my friend told, that the IP allotted to me may be authorised as windows client, but if I am to access the web portal in unix client , then I have to approach the system administrator, to identify my static IP as windows client as well as unix client.. is it true??
If it is possible , then I will approach the necessary authority in my section..what are the other modification in my system?

thank you,

Vaithy

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Try these steps Im no Ubuntu whiz but sometimes it might help :D

You said you could access the computers on the networks so why not trying the following ,Can you ping www.yahoo.com from a terminal ? This is just to make sure that you are not experiencing an IPv6 problem in Firefox or something of the same. You can disable it by going to about:config in Firefox I believe. Or even trying something like tracert 69.147.114.210 .

I'm sorry I just noticed that you have 7.04 so I doubt that you would have an issue with firefox :(.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom