installing linux!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
ayush_chh

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz
Uh , this is why some people suggessted Ubuntu ;)
Anyways this might help you chose a distro ..

thanks a lot for the link................

they suggest me to use
Freespire,OpenSuSE,Kubuntu,Ubuntu,Mandriva

Fedora(Not suitable) - May require Linux knowledge

BUT i have already installed it and will try my hand on this for sometime.......:)

U shudn't use root account! Create a normal user, system => administration => users n groups! Kool hun?

For boot to Xp first, open "/boot/grub/grub.conf" and change the value "default=0" to "default=1" !

To get well versed with fedora (nvidia,mp3 installation etc) checkout the guides...
*www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f8.html
*fedoraguide.info/index.php/Main_Page

thanks for the links....were really help full.

Last edited:
OP
ayush_chh

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz
what is yum ?

i have been trying to install Linux apps but don't know how to do that.

i have googled a lot but in vain.....i don;'t have any media player installed not even Nvidia graphix ........pls help me.....:(

Note:- i don't have Net access on the Linux system

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Yum is an automatic updater and package installer/remover for rpm systems. It automatically computes dependencies and figures out what things should occur to install packages. It makes it easier to maintain groups of machines without having to manually update each one using rpm.

If you don't have net access better use distro like Linux mint, because its very difficult for newbies to setup fedora without internet.

So Get linux mint

mediator

Technomancer
what is yum ?

i have been trying to install Linux apps but don't know how to do that.

i have googled a lot but in vain.....i don;'t have any media player installed not even Nvidia graphix ........pls help me.....:(

Note:- i don't have Net access on the Linux system
Didn't u read the links u quoted?
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=759232&postcount=63

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Yum is an automatic updater and package installer/remover for rpm systems. It automatically computes dependencies and figures out what things should occur to install packages. It makes it easier to maintain groups of machines without having to manually update each one using rpm.

If you don't have net access better use distro like Linux mint, because its very difficult for newbies to setup fedora without internet.

So Get linux mint
yum = Yellow dog Updater modified.

formerly, when yum was not designed, YUP used to be the program to update s/w. YUP did not have the feature to install s/w I suppose.

More info about yum - *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_dog_Updater,_Modified

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
hey wats upt with "apt url" ??
Downloading stuff from browser itself is kewl :)

mediator

Technomancer
Oh that ways. U need to open terminal. Its like command prompt in windows.
GOTO : applications =>system tools => terminal.
Type "su" (to work as root/administrator) and type in ur root password.

Now u can follow the links.

OP
ayush_chh

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz
Oh that ways. U need to open terminal. Its like command prompt in windows.
GOTO : applications =>system tools => terminal.
Type "su" (to work as root/administrator) and type in ur root password.

Now u can follow the links.

ok, i tried this too but still the commands are not working......i think i have this problem bcoz i m not connected to Internet. I see many links in those commands.....is that creating problem...:-|

mediator

Technomancer
Oh yea! U need to be connected to the internet. Just connect to the internet and follow the links casually. U'll understand everything urself.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
One of the biggest advantage of using yum over apt is that, yum downloads the repomd.xml every time and checks whether the repository has new additions or not. If it has, yum downloads other files name like primary.xml.gz (or primary.sqlite.bz2), etc.

Unlike apt, if we don't update its lists, we will never get new added s/w to the repos.

A nice configuration tip to yum is -
Code:
metadata_expire=604800
keepcache=1

This will set yum to re-download metadata files (primary, filelists, other) (.xml.gz or .sqlite.bz2) after a week UNLESS the repomd.xml file contains a modification notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.