abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Ok guys, I need to connect my old IDE HDD (80 GB) to my new motherboard, Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H. The motherboard has only one IDE slot and I already connected the DVD-writer to it. I used the supplied SATA cable to connect the new 500GB SATA HDD. This motherboard has 8 SATA ports.

How do I connect the old HDD? Do I need a IDE to SATA converter so that I can use the extra IDE cable I have and connect the one end of the SATA cable to it and the other end to the SATA port on the motherboard?

Please also advise regarding price and availability of the same.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
OThe motherboard has only one IDE slot and I already connected the DVD-writer to it.

Some IDE Cable has 3 connectors...so that u can connect the 2 IDE Devices using single Cable.check for the same.

If you don't plan on using your old HD for long, I suggest you remove your DVD-writer and connect your HD to it. When you're done, replace it with the DVD drive.

Too cumbersome task to do that...not recommended...

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
But u have to set the jumpers of the drives in master slave mode if u r connecting it to a single IDE cable

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
DVD drive usually sits on the top and IDE cables supplied with mobos has 3 connectors.

Set the DVD Drive as Slave ( use the jumpers on the back of DVD drive to do so ) and connect the blac connector of the IDE cable to the DVD drive.

IDE HDD jumper usually comes with either cable select mode or Master mode jumper setting - if it's in cable select or CLS mode ( look at the back/rear of the HDD to confirm ) then just connect the grey connector of the IDE cable to the HDD.

Now connect the Blue connector of the IDE cable to the mobo. This config should work just fine ;-)

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
DVD drive usually sits on the top and IDE cables supplied with mobos has 3 connectors.

Set the DVD Drive as Slave ( use the jumpers on the back of DVD drive to do so ) and connect the blac connector of the IDE cable to the DVD drive.

IDE HDD jumper usually comes with either cable select mode or Master mode jumper setting - if it's in cable select or CLS mode ( look at the back/rear of the HDD to confirm ) then just connect the grey connector of the IDE cable to the HDD.

Now connect the Blue connector of the IDE cable to the mobo. This config should work just fine ;-)

Thanks. I will try that. :)

Top Bottom