IDE to sata converter

cyberteen

Broken In
Hi all,

I have two IDE hdd but I am now planning to move to a 1155 socket mobo.

Most of these intel h61/h67 chipsets don't offer even one IDE port or they offer one at very costly mobo.

I know about the pci cards for interconverting And those which directly connect to hdds. But are they reliable? I live in chennai so I can possibly buy one at ritchie street. Do you think I should go for one, or simply switch to a mobo whic has an IDE port.

My budget is very tight and I don't want to buy an sata hdd

techiemaharaj

--> Techie - Maharaj
As far as I know very few LATEST mobos have IDE support...all of them have SATA..the only option is to get those converters..and yes they work well...I have used a 40 GB IDE with the converter and an external HDD casing..and haven't faced a problem...

techiemaharaj

--> Techie - Maharaj
I just went to the shop and told the guy that I'vd an IDE HDD, give me a casing and converter...so just got it....the one which I had supported only 1 as it was external casing....I dont know if it can support two or no.

OP
C

cyberteen

Broken In
Do up you have any idea how to make the system boot from the IDE drives connected to the card. One drive has windows px and 7 installed. So I want set that as a master drive and second one as slave drive

techiemaharaj

--> Techie - Maharaj
I dont have a clue...may be some os boot managing software like Vistaboot pro may do something....u may connect all drives normally and then use this software to choose the os u want to boot..

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ cyberteen - extrenal IDE casings use USB interface to connect with the mobo - so if you want to boot from IDE HDD you need to use mobos USB HDD boot option or else if you want to boot from the IDE hDD ( keep it inside of the pc case ) you better serach for a pci/pci-e IDE card.

Top Bottom