I have two Windows XP in 2 drives, plz help me get rid of one

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys,

I had a copy of XP on C drive. Due to a virus i wasnt able to access it. So i installed another copy of XP on D drive. I ended up having to pick from 2 options all the time when i start my computer. How do i get rid of that?

and one more thing is when i tried formatting C drive after XP installation on D drive i wasnt able to do it..! I keep getting an error saying "Windows was unable to complete the format"

any help?

thanks in advance!

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
1. You can remove entries from Boot loader or completely disable the boot loader from "boot.ini" file, which can be found in root of C:\ drive. You can also access it from "System properties" or "msconfig". Just set "Timeout" to 0 and it'll not show boot loader.

2. You can't format C:\ drive while running Windows coz it contains files required by boot loader. Just delete following folders to get the space:

Documents & Settings
Program Files
Windows

OP
jack_the_ripper

jack_the_ripper

Dragon!
thanks vishal,

i have disabled one of the OS by deleting it in the boot file. But it still takes time i.e., around 30 secs till the "Loading Windows" screen appears! I have set the timeout to 0 secs, but its not much of a help though!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Vishal Gupta said:
1. You can remove entries from Boot loader or completely disable the boot loader from "boot.ini" file, which can be found in root of C:\ drive. You can also access it from "System properties" or "msconfig". Just set "Timeout" to 0 and it'll not show boot loader.

2. You can't format C:\ drive while running Windows coz it contains files required by boot loader. Just delete following folders to get the space:

Documents & Settings
Program Files
Windows
yeah if u format c:, u wont be able to install windows:D

OP
jack_the_ripper

jack_the_ripper

Dragon!
and when i try to manually delete the folders that u mentioned, im unable to delete them. Im getting an error saying "Cannot delete FLASH9C.OCX". When i googled about it, it says its a malware... How do i go about deleting it?

anand1

In the zone
Just login to ur windows in D drive and format the C drive by using Disk Management Utility in Windows and see if u get any success. And as u have said that u already configured the BOOT.ini files then it's okey.

OP
jack_the_ripper

jack_the_ripper

Dragon!
Though i have disabled the 2nd copy, its still taking a lot of time (i.e., from the starting screen where it shows the motherboard name and all to the "loading windows" screen).Its taking around 30-40 secs! just shows a blank screen in that time...

wat do i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.