HP Pavilion dv9000t laptop design flaw - help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

koshyjohn

Developer
(Refer: *www.notebookhingecrack.com/2007/12/01/hp-dv9000-dv6000-notebook-hinge-crack-results/ )

I purchased a dv9295ea from Dubai in April 2007. I brought it back to India and have been happily using it since then.

Around 5 months back, the laptop started having overheating issues and would shutdown within a minute of running in “high performance mode” in Vista (the battery was also not charging and the battery ‘lightning’ LED used to blink. So the only usable solution was to run the machine in the “Power Saver” mode. Both problems was subsequently fixed by the F.29 BIOS update that HP released in November (2007).

The display casing cracked at the left hinge a month or two after the overheating issues surfaced. It happened a little by little until I couldn’t close the screen at all (the left screen lock would not align with the slot). I have figured out a way to close the screen just in case I have to transport it:
- holding the inner and outer edges of the display bezel near the security hole tightly, move the screen towards the close position.
- as it becomes nearly closed, apply enough pressure on the left outer edge of the display casing to prevent it from opening up as you close your screen.

My biggest problem is this: My laptop’s warranty is not covered for hardware in India in spite of the series being sold here. I can take it abroad for repairs but I can’t stay there for long and I know HP can take their own sweet time in shipping the parts.

I seriously doubt I’ll be able to take the laptop abroad before April 2008… Sigh…

At least if I got the parts, I might be able to replace it myself (something I won’t risk within the warranty period though) since I’ve got the dv9000t series service manual with me in PDF format.

I’ve got 2 questions:
1. How exactly would you argue the HP personell into admitting its a design flaw (considering the rest of the laptop is in pristine condition with not even a scratch on even the imprint finish)?
2. Is there a definitive way to get HP to acknowledge that the laptop was damaged within the warranty period if I’m unable to submit it at some foreign location of their choice before the warranty period expiry (there are plenty of service centers for HP in India)?

(the above is the same as what I've posted at the site)

QUESTION: How would I go about getting HP India to fix this problem for me given that it is a design flaw? I'm in such a fix and this machine's cost more than a lakh...

Config: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00 Ghz (4MB L2 cache), 2GB DDR2 RAM, 240 GB HDD (120GBx2 drives), 17" screen (1440x900), Nvidia GeForce Go 7600 (512MB dedicated), Windows Vista Home Premium, HD DVD-ROM/DVD-RW, Media remote control, etc.

GunshotSilence

Journeyman
as u have already mentioned the link to the notebookhinge crack website

i wud like to mention that i faced the same problem last saturday.

purchased dv9222tx in april 2007. still in warranty

service centre refuses to acknowldge as defect and say its abusive handling and has been dropped. they quoted 20000Rs. or abt 800$ to replace.

how can a 17″ 3.5 kg laptop survive a drop with just hinge crack as damage and rest all fine??

logged complaint on hp india site.

plan to report in media and take hp to consumer court.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
damn, i just bought a dv9704tx few weeks ago.

i hope this crack is not a big deal :( , tho its in other place, but still near hinge:p
*img259.imageshack.us/img259/4944/dsc06347pa1.th.jpg

btw heat could be the reason.

my laptop heats up so quick, especially under the touch pad, where gfx. card is installed (i think).

*img381.imageshack.us/img381/7354/dsc06348qx2.th.jpg

why do they put the things prone to heat-up quickly in such place .
if i keep the laptop on my lap for more than 15mins, my laps are heated-up.

will contact HP for this, i have a HP desktop, very pleased with it, thats why i went for HP laptop, otherwise DELL XPS was my choice.

Last edited:

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
damn, i just bought a dv9704tx few weeks ago.

i hope this crack is not a big deal :( , tho its in other place, but still near hinge:p
*img259.imageshack.us/img259/4944/dsc06347pa1.th.jpg

btw heat could be the reason.

my laptop heats up so quick, especially under the mouse pad, where gfx. card is installed (i think).

*img381.imageshack.us/img381/7354/dsc06348qx2.th.jpg

why do they put the things prone to heat-up quickly in such place .
if i keep the laptop on my lap for more than 15mins, my laps are heated-up.

will contact HP for this, i have a HP desktop, very pleased with it, thats why i went for HP laptop, otherwise DELL XPS was my choice.

post about this issue here: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82664

OP
koshyjohn

koshyjohn

Developer
I am the original poster. I didn't bother to update here as no one seemed to be bothered back then.

My laptop was fixed under warranty (for free, obviously) in India:
- The entire display assembly was replaced with one having a sturdier design so that the problem does not occur again.
- My motherboard was replaced to check the thermal shutdown problem.
- Internal cables were replaced as some were found to be faulty.

I handed it in on Feb 19, 2008 and got it back only on Mar 17, 2008. There was a minor problem of overheating which I detected the day I got it back itself (the laptop would refuse to restart if very hot - it would just cut off at the instant of fan power up during the restart cycle).

I handed it in a week later again and they diagnosed it as a problem with the new motherboard and are replacing it for the second time. I should get it back by the end of the week.

All my laptop parts are shipped from abroad as that particular configuration is still not sold in India. Considering that, you should be getting better support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom