HP Pavilion 15/G6 - powered by AMD Trinity/Kabini/Richland

aakash.mukherjee

Right off the assembly line
Re: My review of HP G6-2005AX laptop having AMD A8-4500M Trinity processor..

Hey akash cud u pls let me know how much the total graphics(7670m+7640m)
add up to? 1gb or 1.5 gb...pls discuss

Regards
Aakash

Last edited by a moderator:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Hey akash cud u pls let me know how much the total graphics(7670m+7640m)
add up to? 1gb or 1.5 gb...pls discuss
I'll start off with how Crossfire works in desktops.

I have HD 6950 2GB. If I will buy another HD 6950 2GB and Crossfire them, I'll still have 2GB memory. Memory does NOT double or add up.

I have HD 6950 2GB. If I will buy a HD 6950 1GB and Crossfire it with the 2GB HD 6950 I have, I will have 1GB memory.

If HD 7640G is set to have 512MB shared memory from BIOS and HD 7670M 1GB is Crossfired with it, the combination will have 512MB memory.

If HD 7640G is set to have 1GB shared memory from BIOS and HD 7670M 1GB is Crossfired with it, the combination will have 1GB memory.

Now you should NOT care about graphics memory in current day laptops with 1366x768 resolution.... 512MB is MORE THAN ENOUGH.

Graphics memory will matter if you are playing on 1920x1080. 512 MB is more than enough.

Laptop GPUs like GT 540M/GT 630M, HD 6770M and GT 640M are not even fast enough to make use of 512 MB VRAM. Nor is the reoslution 1366x768 high enough where high VRAM makes a difference.

rish89

Broken In

great review......i was almost certain to buy this lappy, but now seeing the heating issues i'm having 2nd thoughts (my friend recently burnt his compaq motherboard due to overheating)....could you guys suggest me a good cool lappy to play games like fifa 12..........my budget is 38-40k....i'm from delhi too.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

great review......i was almost certain to buy this lappy, but now seeing the heating issues i'm having 2nd thoughts (my friend recently burnt his compaq motherboard due to overheating)....could you guys suggest me a good cool lappy to play games like fifa 12..........my budget is 38-40k....i'm from delhi too.

when desktop processors temperature touches 75. we say it is overheating. Under load 60 is usually normal in India where the room temperature is 30-35. But in case of laptop the overheating temp is 90+. Some laptops (like last gen Apple Macbook i think) will run at 100degree without any sign of slowing down or shutdown. As told by GG the load temp is 68 when the room temperature is 45. Yes a Intel laptop without any GPU will definitely run cooler but add a GPU and the laptop will touch new height.

If you can spend 40k, better wait for Asus to refresh their K53SM. Currently with SB & a 38k pricetag makes it look terribly overpriced when it a barebone laptop with slower GPU & a 2nd gen i5. no OS, no chiclet keyboard, no bag, etc.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

There is no heating or overheating issue in this laptop.

Rjrocks

Hi Guys,
Windows rating for my laptop was 5.7
i run the assessment program again, and found out that it dropped to 5.6
is this ok. if not what should i do?

rish89

Broken In

when desktop processors temperature touches 75. we say it is overheating. Under load 60 is usually normal in India where the room temperature is 30-35. But in case of laptop the overheating temp is 90+. Some laptops (like last gen Apple Macbook i think) will run at 100degree without any sign of slowing down or shutdown. As told by GG the load temp is 68 when the room temperature is 45. Yes a Intel laptop without any GPU will definitely run cooler but add a GPU and the laptop will touch new height.

If you can spend 40k, better wait for Asus to refresh their K53SM. Currently with SB & a 38k pricetag makes it look terribly overpriced when it a barebone laptop with slower GPU & a 2nd gen i5. no OS, no chiclet keyboard, no bag, etc.

Thanks for the explanation.....i have to buy my lappy before 5th of july, so instead of buying a 40k lappy i will buy this HP lappy and go for the 3 year warranty :wink:

There is no heating or overheating issue in this laptop.

Thnks to clear my doubt, i will soon be buying this lappy....

akbsol

Broken In

Thanks for the explanation.....i have to buy my lappy before 5th of july, so instead of buying a 40k lappy i will buy this HP lappy and go for the 3 year warranty :wink:

The extra warranty offer (of rs. 1133) on this particular model is for 1 yr only so the total is 2 years not three.

rish89

Broken In

The extra warranty offer (of rs. 1133) on this particular model is for 1 yr only so the total is 2 years not three.

ok i'll settle for 2 years.....can you confirm that this lappy won't overheat after 3-4 hrs of gaming (Fifa 12)......it would be very helpful if you suggest a 1TB hard disk for this lappy, thnks

akbsol

Broken In

ok i'll settle for 2 years.....can you confirm that this lappy won't overheat after 3-4 hrs of gaming (Fifa 12)......it would be very helpful if you suggest a 1TB hard disk for this lappy, thnks

Fifa 12 aint much of a graphic intensive game. it should perform well even on the apu itself. Its only those games/apps which push the dgpu to its limits make this laptop gush out heat waves from its vents (though the laptop itself stays cool). For confirming anything you will have to find someone who is eager to play or have played fifa12 for 3-4 hours on this laptop. :mrgreen:

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Hi Guys,
Windows rating for my laptop was 5.7
i run the assessment program again, and found out that it dropped to 5.6
is this ok. if not what should i do?

WEI changes with season, topology, nature of people using the laptop, in the dimension you are using and lastly if you love Linux you'll get higher score :mrgreen:

vds5344

Broken In

Now you should NOT care about graphics memory in current day laptops with 1366x768 resolution.... 512MB is MORE THAN ENOUGH.

Graphics memory will matter if you are playing on 1920x1080. 512 MB is more than enough.

Laptop GPUs like GT 540M/GT 630M, HD 6770M and GT 640M are not even fast enough to make use of 512 MB VRAM. Nor is the reoslution 1366x768 high enough where high VRAM makes a difference.

so not fast enough??? how do you know about speed?? i want to play games released in 2 years in future at lowest possible resolution and configuration
help required for such configuration of laptop

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

so not fast enough??? how do you know about speed?? i want to play games released in 2 years in future at lowest possible resolution and configuration
help required for such configuration of laptop
Check out review of HD 5670 desktop graphic card. Both 512 MB and 1 GB. Both perform equal. There is no performance difference because HD 5670 is simply NOT fast enough to make use of that higher memory in 1GB model.

Laptop HD 6770M performs equal to HD 5670 desktop. HD 7640G + HD 7670M crossfire will perform around HD 5670 desktop or HD 6770M laptop.

You need high video memory (more than 512 MB) if you are playing at 1080p. Don't fall for marketing and idiots how say - "i got 2Gb Gfx card...it rocks!!11"

For 1366x768, 512 MB is fine.

This laptop will run games fine for the next 2 years. Completely fine at low/mid settings. :)

Otherwise you always have the option of spending 55-60K on a laptop with HD 7730M/GT 650M. ;)

far

Keep Going!

Check out review of HD 5670 desktop graphic card. Both 512 MB and 1 GB. Both perform equal. There is no performance difference because HD 5670 is simply NOT fast enough to make use of that higher memory in 1GB model.

Laptop HD 6770M performs equal to HD 5670 desktop. HD 7640G + HD 7670M crossfire will perform around HD 5670 desktop or HD 6770M laptop.

You need high video memory (more than 512 MB) if you are playing at 1080p. Don't fall for marketing and idiots how say - "i got 2Gb Gfx card...it rocks!!11"

For 1366x768, 512 MB is fine.

Great Info... Thanks

aakash.mukherjee

When you plug out the laptop from AC power and it runs on battery, many things automatically switch to power saving mode in the current power profile. CPU gets throttled to generate less heat for saving battery, wifi starts running in low performance mode. system starts preferring APU instead of GPU for all of the display etc etc and the end result is 4-10C drop in temperature.

Its a normal thing...

I understand @akash & @ico...
bt akash since u already have researched through the hp pavilion g62005ax;
cud u pls clear a doubt?

jst lk ico talked about crossfiring...
I NEED TO KNOW WHETHER THE 7670M IS 1GB OR 512MB AS AN INDIVIDUAL CARD IN THIS LAPTOP(FORGET ABOUT THE INTEGRATED 7640G)
pls discuss...thnx

regards
aakash

vds5344

Broken In

i knew it a bit but what's criteria for speed of mobile graphic cards? Thanks everybody for your help. I'm a noob :D

it's 1gb Bro but as said by ico it's not about memory size more than 512mb. Here speed matters more specially at low resolution

akbsol

Broken In

I understand @akash & @ico...
bt akash since u already have researched through the hp pavilion g62005ax;
cud u pls clear a doubt?

jst lk ico talked about crossfiring...
I NEED TO KNOW WHETHER THE 7670M IS 1GB OR 512MB AS AN INDIVIDUAL CARD IN THIS LAPTOP(FORGET ABOUT THE INTEGRATED 7640G)
pls discuss...thnx

regards
aakash

The system information program of windows (msinfo32.exe) displays it as 1Gb so should be 1Gb only.

*i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p546/g62005ax/sysinfo.gif

i knew it a bit but what's criteria for speed of mobile graphic cards? Thanks everybody for your help. I'm a noob :D

it's 1gb Bro but as said by ico it's not about memory size more than 512mb. Here speed matters more specially at low resolution

Ico has pretty much summed it up. Don't go by memory as a lower spec GPU cannot utilize the ram anyways.

Nvidia 540M with 512mb > Nvidia 525M with 1gb > Nvidia 520mx with 2gb (although 520mx supports max 1gb only, just giving an example)

Its the core speed of GPU, number of shaders etc which matter not the amount of memory it comes with.

vds5344

Broken In

so how's your gpu? and forum was down?

Top Bottom