HP looking to avoid dependence on Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

4T7

Journeyman
Is HP developing its own operating system to avoid Windows? According to a recent BusinessWeek article they’re at least looking into it. The company has supposedly assembled a group of engineers to quietly work on several different ways to avoid a dependence on Microsoft, such as developing software that will essentially bypass certain elements of Vista or even building a competing OS altogether.

The operating system would reportedly be Linux-based, but be simpler and easier to use than most Linux distributions available today. HP isn't confirming the report, but it certainly wouldn’t be the first time a Microsoft partner steps up support for Windows alternatives, as many netbook vendors are now offering Linux as the default OS – albeit they are far less popular that Windows-based options.

All said, I doubt Windows’ dominance is in any actual danger of disappearing. But with Vista still drawing a lot of criticism and the recent explosion of the netbook market, odds have never looked better for Linux (and Apple for that matter) to erode Microsoft’s dominance of the desktop market.

Source

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Just give me a option to buy a laptop with no OS loaded. Thats more than enough for me. But on the other hand its better for them to concentrate on giving out proper drivers for Linux rather than building a operating system themself.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Woooo, hope it kicks Vista's butt

BTW- I hate Vista, cause it suks

P.S.- Don't mean to hurt other's opinions, just my personal experience and opinion

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
hmm...One other Distro in crowd of hundreds of others?

does that really make a difference, instead they should have adopted a popular distro and made a customized version of it. same way dell did with Ubuntu.

never the less, Linux is now been seen a Viable alternative to Windows by PC manufactures.
Now at least people would know there are some other alternatives present.
Thats the Big win for consumers, as soon we would have power of choice:D

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ Dude. Was just kidding. HP-UX is the scariest operating system.

It's better to watch "RGV Ki Aag" than working on hp-ux :)

Lolz... HP-UX is a PURE server grade OS, like Solaris. Its definitely not for use by the average computer user. :lol:

And HP already has great linux support. All this "one more OS" thing is crap. They would just take an existing easy to use distro, customize it, make it HP-ish, add drivers for HP hardware in it, create a repository for it on their servers exclusive for their customers, and then apply HP artwork and branding. The software would also be customised depending on what the computer is sold for. It would still BE linux. Not a completely different OS.

But having said that, its not an easy task. You need to do a lot of thinking if you want to get the best bundle of software, so that the product does not appear bloated. And creating a nice theme and UI which attracts everyone is another huge task.

I suppose it would take a few months atleast, for the product to be finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom