In the zone
how to write 4.7 gb data on a dvd :?: :?: :?:
i have a sony dru 720A writter and the dvd mentions 4.7 gb 4X
while writting it shows 4482 mb capacity
tried overburning it sets the parameter to max 4600 mb

guys plz help

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
DVD's don't have a capacity of 4.7 GB. Although 4.7 GB is printed on every DVD, the usable space is only 4483 MB (4.37 GB).

quad master

In the zone
You would never be able to write a full 4.7GB

Also for a DVD +R DL when they arrive here you will not be able to write a
full 8.5GB but something close to 7.9GB

Have a read through this -

Why do I only get about 4.38GB on a DVD disc instead of the 4.7GB advertised by the vendor?

DVD media has the same capacity conversion confusion suffered by users trying to find out the correct capacity of their hard drives. Vendors compute storage size in a decimal value, while computers compute storage in a binary value. One megabyte (MB) of hard drive storage is computed by the vendor as 1 x 106, or 1,000,000. Computers are binary systems, seeing a megabyte as 1 x 220, or 1,048,576 bytes.

In a CD or DVD, a percentage of the disc is taken up by overhead, i;e. link blocks, track information, reserved areas for video title, etc., and takes up some of the user data area , but may not be part of the output data stream. In the case of a DVD, this is approximately 1 MB.

So a DVD disc advertised by the vendor as 4.7GB (decimal) is displayed by computer applications as approximately 4.38GB: (4,700,000,000 ÷ 1,048,576) - 1MB = 4.38GB.

-Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom