how to use FTP in FEDORA CORE 4????

Status
Not open for further replies.

sav_more

Journeyman
my college uses fedora core 4. i want to use FTP to transfer a few files to my friends on the same network.how do i use this.
cud anyone tell me the commands.
thanks

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Many methods exist.
Open up terminal, by whatever name it is called - Konsole, gnome-terminal, xterm, eterm, and type
Code:
ftp
open <url>
and then use whatever commands are needed. In case you are lost for commands, type help.
You can also use a graphical ftp client like Filezilla or FireFTP, which is an extension for Firefox.
In that case your friend will need to run a FTP client like Filezilla, proFTPd, slimFTPd or something.
Else, I guess you can enable filesharing on a single folder and put required files in that folder and make necessary transfers. But, in this case, if your friend is running windows, you will need Samba. to the best of my knowledge.
There maybe other methods too, someone else can help you with them.
Also, if you can get more specific about the details of which OS you and your friend are running, is FC 4 used on server or on your computer,since you are saying 'My college uses FC4'.

OP
sav_more

sav_more

Journeyman
i want to send some programs to a guy sitting on a terminal next to me.this is in the college.
how do i know his url or ip addr.
we are on the same network. all r using fc4.

eg:
i use the command : ftp extc ....(extc is the servers name)
then i get the ftp prompt..
FTP>

when i type status it says not connected.why is this.my prof uses something simmilar and sends files even from my terminal.i cant ask him as we are supposed to type programs and not ftp them.he even clears the commands. so i cant even know what commands he uses.
i know it has to do something with the send command...
but how do i use this.info please....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom