how to remove linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy_sumi

Broken In
I have installed Mandriva on a partition. And now lilo is the default bootloader. I also have xp installed. If I now remove mandriva, will i still be able to boot into xp without any changes???

Does anybody knows how do I workarond this???

Sykora

I see right through you.
Put your XP CD in and boot into recovery console. Then run the fixmbr command. Windows will do its steamrolling and then you'll be able to boot into windows. You can do this at any time and it will work, regardless of whether linux is there or not. If linux _is_ there though, you won't be able to boot into it unless you use linux-rescue.

kikass

Broken In
yeah once you run fixmbr from the recovery console the xp bootloader will be restored... you will then boot directly into windows! no options...

now to permanently remove linux from your harddisk.. goto control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management... go into disk management.. locate the partition on which you installed linux and simply delete the partition (generally listed as "unknown type" and without a label or drive letter)... you can then create a new partition from the newly freed space and format it ! == linux gone !

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I think Lilo will allow booting into windows even if you formatted the partition off. Grub retuns an error instead. Atleast this's what happened to me when I was using Mandrake 10.

Third Eye

gooby pls
If you have windows xp cd then boot it and go to hdd partition management and delete the partition in which linux installed and reboot by pressing F3.

knight17

In the zone
Sykora said:
Then run the fixmbr command.
Are you sure.
I am not sure about this..I used fixboot command for getting rid of Ubuntu.
after this I just formatted the drive

Sykora

I see right through you.
fixboot will write a new boot sector to the selected windows partition. It helps if you want to configure something like grub or lilo. If you just want to make sure that windows boots, fixmbr is the perfect bludgeon. Everything else will be screwed, but windows will work :)

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
I used the "Fixmbr" command to fix the MBR. I had Mandriva 2006. I then formatted the drive containing Mandriva 2006 by using live cd of Puppy!. When I restarted my system(xp pro sp2) everything was fine and the new drive was also there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom