How to reinstall Windows XP without reformatting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhi_shake

Broken In
I would like to reinstall windows Xp (an original version). Thing is i'm not formatting my drive. I've got 4 partitions C,D,E,G (F is cd drive :D). G contains the OS. Since I've a lot of data and cannot take backup of them (anyway it'll take ages).

So how do I go about it?

PS :- I once overwrited on the existing OS which was in C. That is why it became G in the new OS. What happened was the pirated key got installed in the new os even though i had put a NEW Original key!!

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
U have two options:

1. Repair the existing Windows (if u need). Just press R when it asks for repairing during installation.

2. Install it on different partition (other than ur existing windows) which have required space. Just select the partition where u want to install new windows, during installation & select the option Leave the current file system intact

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
u can reinstall XP without formating.During installation u get a option to format the partition.There select "no change"

But can I know what is reason behind reinstalltion.I will suggest u to reinstall xp by formating ur partion.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
abhi_shake said:
well the reason is beacuse of this---->>
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46092
read ur problem..............so u want to reinstall xp to add new hard disk.
Try reinstallation without formating for the first time..and if the problem continues,I will suggest you to reinstall xp by formating the partition.

OP
abhi_shake

abhi_shake

Broken In
ok so if i want to format my partition-->> can i format ONLY the partition and not the whole hard drive?? I've got my OS in the G drive. the option that comes during reinstallation its only for ONE PARTITION... right?? not the whole hard drive??. Cause i'll not take any backup. and there'll be no data loss in the other drives right??

but all programs that have been installed will have to be reinstalled OR made shortcuts to be shown in Start Menu.......??
Will all drivers also have to be reinstalled??

coz then i'll have to search for my cd's :D a difficult task

Plz confirm this.

thanx for the help!!

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
abhi_shake said:
can i format ONLY the partition and not the whole hard drive??
yes,,U can.If u are going to reinstall XP in C:/ drive..than u need to formate only c;? drive.No need to formate other drives.

Will all drivers also have to be reinstalled??
yes you need to reinstall all the drivers...and also all the required softwares.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
I have a dell laptop with a single partition (only C drive)

CD ROM drive is barely working (has some loose connection problem). I can barely manage the laptop to boot thro' CD ROM with some efforts but installing XP from the CD will be asking too much!!

In the Boot Setup there is an option for 'boot from usb" device. Is it possible for me to use this option? If yes, should I copy whole XP CD to the usb device? I have external 300 GB HD with a case and 2 partitions.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
a_medico said:
I have a dell laptop with a single partition (only C drive)

CD ROM drive is barely working (has some loose connection problem). I can barely manage the laptop to boot thro' CD ROM with some efforts but installing XP from the CD will be asking too much!!

In the Boot Setup there is an option for 'boot from usb" device. Is it possible for me to use this option? If yes, should I copy whole XP CD to the usb device? I have external 300 GB HD with a case and 2 partitions.

well I dont think u can boot through USB.Update ur BIOS from ur laptop manufactures website.This may solve ur problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom