How to move "Program Files" folder to another drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
boot from a live Linux CD and i think u can do that stuff..........jus try it...im not sure.......anyway why do u move it?

OP
zegulas

zegulas

Traceur
C drive is full cant remove anything!
So decided to move "Program Files". Have already moved "My Documents".

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
look for online windows registry h@cks.....u can change "Program files" to any drive than the root drive, then windows will by default show the changed new location when installing new softwares....hmm, am not remembering now how it was done :(

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
why do u move.......
is the OS installed in C:

if yes...don;t do...ur programs won;t work after moving

*Try uninstalling the programs from Control Panel=>Add Remove.......
*Try decreasing space for system restore
*Empty ur Recyclebin

Dont ever play with ProgramFiles,Windows folders......

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
already installed pgms wont work after moving ur Program files to another drive, since they will not be no longer maped to register values.......the change of "Program files" folder must be done right after the installation of the OS.

@gopi_vbboy

some people like to keep their installed softwares in a dedicated drive on the harddisk....they may be interested in these registry editing man...trying to play around my Windows is fun, just like my linux box... ;)

skippednote

M3TAL H3AD M3
You need to uninstall softwares from C drive then install them to the other drive.
You can also edit their path in registry editor.

manistar

Broken In
i used system mechanic and changed my program folder path to one other than Windows drive, but tat ll apply only for softwares tat u r goin to install in future..
also there is option thr to relocate installed softwares.. but not sure abt how it works....

devilinearth

www.system86.blogspot.com
use partition magic to expand ur partition....so that u can increase space in ur c drive..

and the next time when u install new softwares...then install them on some other partition...jus create a Program Files folder for tht in other partition

in Partition Magic...there is a drive mapping feature...i think u can use tht...that wil correct all the registry entries pointing to ur c drive program files...tpo any other drive where u copied all data

rajsujayks

CSE Freak!
Moving Program files folder is easy. Follow these steps:

>Open Registry editor by going to Start->Run and typing "regedit"(without quotes) and hit Enter.
>Once the Registry editor appears, Press Ctrl+F.
>In the Find dialog, type "ProgramFilesDir"(again without quotes) and hit Enter.
>You can right-click on ProgramFilesDir and select Modify to change its value data to your new drive or folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom