How to make sure no components are removed/swapped in laptop while giving it for repair?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Since I am out of town, My father wants to get his laptop cleaned and ssd installed in it. He cannot do it himself, so he is thinking of getting it done by someone else. The guy we are giving it is reputable in the area and has been in buisness for long time now. We too have been using his services to refill toner. But Now dont want to take risks.

So is there any software or script(OS is not a problem, Windows or Linux both hosts are present) that kind of generates a dump or file with all the names and serial numbers of devices(Like HDD, Webcam, Motherboard, LCD driver etc.) which can be used after service to compare and find out if any changes are made? I dont want him to swap some component for a faulty one.

Gollum

Collector
Since I am out of town, My father wants to get his laptop cleaned and ssd installed in it. He cannot do it himself, so he is thinking of getting it done by someone else. The guy we are giving it is reputable in the area and has been in buisness for long time now. We too have been using his services to refill toner. But Now dont want to take risks.

So is there any software or script(OS is not a problem, Windows or Linux both hosts are present) that kind of generates a dump or file with all the names and serial numbers of devices(Like HDD, Webcam, Motherboard, LCD driver etc.) which can be used after service to compare and find out if any changes are made? I dont want him to swap some component for a faulty one.
If it's an hp computer then there is a sure way. Each component of the laptop or desktop has a sticker with a unique number. When decoded, it gives the serial number of the PC. If any part is missing this sticker, it's been replaced or not an original part. The sticker also has other things that identifies the part so one cannot just swap the sticker.
However, this will require opening the computer.
Another option is system information option inside the uefi diagnostics. It gives serial numbers or ram, ssd and other removable components.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Best way would be to learn how to open the laptop and install the SSD. It isn't difficult and would save him the headache of dealing with the crappy old pirated copy of OS which the shop will install along with bloatware and what not.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Best way would be to learn how to open the laptop and install the SSD. It isn't difficult and would save him the headache of dealing with the crappy old pirated copy of OS which the shop will install along with bloatware and what not.
He is not at home and his father would do it. So cant expect everyone to be well versed with these things.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
He is not at home and his father would do it. So cant expect everyone to be well versed with these things.
I know but even a 15 year old cousin of mine was able to perform ssd upgrade by following the disassembly guide. He doesn't have any prior experience.

OP
RumbaMon19

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I know but even a 15 year old cousin of mine was able to perform ssd upgrade by following the disassembly guide. He doesn't have any prior experience.
Yeah because your cousin is young and technically sound. My father even though Mech. Engineer won't open it because of fear that it may break. I had tried to convince. Plus to open it, smaller screws and different shape(Torx screw) will be required which will need to ordered seperately. So it is not a practical solution.

Anyways I got it done now.

Top Bottom