How to keep confidential data safe

NAVEEVIa

Broken In
Hi everyone.
I have a very simple query & hope tech gurus might solve it.
I have lots of userid & passwords which i am unable to remember, so i note them down in word file & keep it on my PC.
Recently my PC got some virus & i got scared that if somebody got access to this file then he will have access to all my bank accounts etc.

So whats the safest way to keep all these details stored in softcopy.

Thanx,

Naveen

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Why not use some tool like KeePass? It will manage all the passwords for you and automatically enter it wherever required.

KeePass Password Safe

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
use TrueCrypt ;-)
TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yup TrueCrypt if you want to encrypt a whole partition.

Nuked my hard drive a coupla times though :p

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I have lots of userid & passwords which i am unable to remember, so i note them down in word file & keep it on my PC.
Recently my PC got some virus & i got scared that if somebody got access to this file then he will have access to all my bank accounts etc.

So whats the safest way to keep all these details stored in softcopy.

Try KEEPAS best suited for your needs (its free also) :mrgreen:
KeePass Password Safe

+1 to truecrypt. You can use also bitlocker, it comes presinstalled in Win7 but that is think that also encrypts the whole drive (ultimate & enterprise editions) or there is a software called Folderlock, i believe that is best for you purpose.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - just create a small secure virtual drive ( 100MB using best encryption method and a strong password ) using truecrypt and put that word file into that ;-)

Top Bottom