How to install ubantu 10.04 through pen drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dangerous Dave

Digital Marketer
Sorry for asking noob question.
My DVD WRITER is not working properly. so i wanted to install ubantu through my pen drive. MY HARD DISK is divided into 3 partition
C:// which is a PRIMARY PARTITION in which Windows is installed
D://which is also a primary partition in which data is kept
E:// WHICH IS LOGICAL PARTITION which is blank

i want to install Ubantu 10.04 in E Drive without formatting c and d drive. So what can i do.and tell me how to create pen drive bootable

khmadhu

change is constant!!
write the ubuntu iso file to u r pen drive using this software (u r pen drive should have enough space)

*unetbootin.sourceforge.net

check u r bios to boot from usb, and then boot from usb and select manual partitioning.

while installing don't check format option for c and d drive, and format E drive as ext4 filesystem. that's it.

and lastly its not "ubantu" its "ubuntu" :)

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Hi welcome to the forums,
I noticed a duplicate post so I removed that. Be sure to check the rules out once when you get time :) .

Also check this link out for help on Ubuntu installation using a USB Stick. Although it shows it for 9.10 I think it might work for 10.04 so give it a try too if the above doesn't work.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
BTW computers dont have a concept of C:, D:, E:
You just divide your hard drive into partition which say Partition 1, Partition 2, Partition 3. Windows labels them C:, D:, E:, etc. In case of *nix systems, the devices are called /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, /dev/sda3. These devices are mounted as /, /home, /usr, /media/music, /media/games, etc. i.e. you access partitions with a particular "directory" rather than labels like C:, D:, E:
Just a note. :)

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

My friend told me that linux make 2 partitions so what can i do for it!
Do one thing. Delete a partition in your HD. Delete your E: (copy its files elsewhere). By deleting I mean go to Control Panel->Computer Management->Disk Management and right click and delete partition, whichever partition you want to delete.
Then put Ubuntu CD while booting and choose when asked for partitioning: "Use largest continuous disk space"
On a side note, you dont need to bother with partitioning if you use Wubi i.e. just insert the installation device while running Windows and run the setup.

D4RK8L1TZ

Broken In
see its simple,,... use any software which can write a bootsector into a pen drive.....ubuntu linux distributions have one such software called boot disk creater,,,,,,,,ubuntu 10.04 lucid lynx ..... can b downloaded from torrent also ... just takes 1/2 hr.....

see its simple,,... use any software which can write a bootsector into a pen drive.....ubuntu linux distributions have one such software called boot disk creater,,,,,,,,ubuntu 10.04 lucid lynx ..... can b downloaded from torrent also ... just takes 1/2 hr.....

its Universal netboot installer (Unetbootin) ;) btw

My friend told me that linux make 2 partitions so what can i do for it!

well ,you can make many partitions while installing linux i.e / , /home , /boot , /var ,swap etc .Its the minimum no. that works well with every system is making only on '/' and a swap however swap is not that necessary but it may help sometimes from system crashes when system is heavily loaded .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom