How to get Hardware from outside India & Related Doubts

Status
Not open for further replies.

quad master

In the zone
How to get Hardware from outside India & Related Doubts
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Which are the Trusted Websites from which we can purchase.

- When we buy products from International Websites is the product
delivered straight at our doorstep or do we have to collect it from
somewhere [Customs] (What exactly happens when the product is
discharged from theie side how does it reach us exactly)

- Do the purchased product have International Guarantee/Warranty

- What if after getting the ordered product finally in your hand,
you feel its damaged or faulty & theydont even have a service center
here then do we need to courier back the faulty product back to them for verification so that we can get a replaced new one.

- How is the customs duty calculated on anything you get or order
from outside India.

- Suppose your friend gets some hardware for you from any foreign
country eg. RAM & your friend has those Ram in his luggage , how do the
customs know that you have this ram in your luggage and you have to pay
the duties for it. same goes for products like Mobo,GPU,CPU etc..

- How many days are spent for the ordered product from a website
to finally reach your hands.

- Has anyone ordered any product from an International Website ,
If yes can you share your experience with us.

As many gr8 hardware products are there which are not available here
have to be purchased from these websites. I have never in my life purchased anything from International Websites so am a bit worried and
wanted to clear these doubts before anything goes wrong.

Wating for response from your side.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
1. www.amazon.com or www.amazon.co.uk is your best bet
2. I think they will deliver it to your home
3. That depends on the product that you bought-it may or may not have International warranty
4. Faulty products need to be sent back for replacement
5. No idea about customs duties
6. You have to declare your goods when you arrive in India. As far as I remember, they don't scan the baggage when you arrive. However, if they want to, they can check your baggage manually and then of they find something that you did not declare, then you are in trouble
7. Varies
8. Nope

OP
Q

quad master

In the zone
Thanks a lot Nemesis.

But would also like to know about more International sites which ship
hardware to India and are reliable.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
quad...most dont ship outside their own respective places. And even if they do it usually gets caught up in Customs. I know because my friend had it sent from abroad and it went thru a lot of customs mess to get it. And you dont actually save any money. Sometimes you end up paying more than the counterpart available in India. enoonmai bought something from Amazon with which he gets a philips CD's free which got held up in customs and the the customs guy asked 3000 Rs for it! lol! He sent it back ;) Your best bet would be to have it bought from someone coming from abroad. Thats how I get my stuff.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I too am wondering on this ebay.uk has some realy cool stuff at amazing prices but i too am not sure about the shipping and stuff. I did ordersomething via RS the package was dilivered at my place and i piad in indian rupees you can check out their on line catalog . Only draw back is there prices are a little on the higher side.

eminemence

Journeyman
I had ordered a second-hand dual processor and mobo with RAM
and some more stuff on ebay.
It took nearly 5 months to come here!!
All the stuff is in good shape,but then I had to wait for nearly 5 months.
Bye.
--eminemence.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
what a coincidence i too am looking at a dual processor mobo (Dual p3 1.4). How did the money transation go through? Did you pay by card? Please tell me more.

As far as I remember, they don't scan the baggage when you arrive.

Haha, is this a joke. The goddamned scavengers/vultures/theives (Indian customs) are experts at reading body language and then milk you as much as possible. The most corrupt vile persons I've ever come across (all my life) have been in Indian customs, mostly Chatrapaty whatever airport (a very shabby gateway to the worlds largest democracy). Indian Customs officials are a totally different breed of humans(?) in India who exist and thrive on bribes/extortion.

eBay - most eBay sellers (the experienced ones) won't agree to ship to India (and few other nations). Why? Lengthy customs clearances. I've been a very active eBayer overseas and have recieved electronics from Singapore,Malaysia,Hong Kong and Japan into Australia. Most customs declarations where just underquoted. Like a $700 Seiko watch will have description as "Beads, Value = $20" and "Gift" filled in on the customs declaration sticker on the packaging. Try this with Indian customs and see what happens. You'll get a letter from customs (in their own sweet time) to come down and collect a parcel from their holding points. Once you go there you'll go through the normal bribing process us Indians are so accustomed to. End result: total money paid + trouble = not worth the savings.

Nemesis - they do scan baggage. The wise ass at you know where airport identified a Johnny Walker Blue label bottle just from the profile on x-ray. Amazing!

Keith

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Well, I walked right past them without any issues the last time so I was not sure about it. I do suffer from amnesia at times :wink: Did you have any bad experience with them at any point of time?

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
I disagree. Its a sheer matter of luck. Heck when i came back from the UK I packed a mutli-region DVD player, XBOX and hellava lot of CD's/DVD's into my baggage and didnt pay a penny nor was I stopped to do so. It all depends on how you pack things and how confident you are. I also got my geforce 6800 the same way thru a friend. He just walked right thru customs.

OP
Q

quad master

In the zone
Well it seems there is a gr8 discussion going here.

Thanks guys you experiences will really help me and others also decide
on importing foreign products.

eminemence

Journeyman
pradeep_chauhan said:
what a coincidence i too am looking at a dual processor mobo (Dual p3 1.4). How did the money transation go through? Did you pay by card? Please tell me more.
Yup paid by card and transaction was smooth.
I have to still get it working I am bored to assemble the full thing and am
also short on bucks. ;-).
--eminemence.

Agree it's about luck, confidence and packing techniques. My post was about the general condition of customs officials.

And, no, I don't need any advice on packing etc. Why? 'Cause I have a relation at the top of the customs food chain :wink: (Terminal IIC, Mumbai). This has, in the past enabled me to get in 6 times the liquor allowance :lol:

Regarding luck, confidence, packing -
It depends on the time of the day (how busy, tired these theives are, depends on number of flights) and more importantly where you're flying in from and MOST importantly, how many visa's (and entry/exit seals) are stamped in your passport. Frequent travellers are always suspected of smuggling. Whereas students who come in once a year are let through without problems. Trust me, I know the workings of a customs officers brain inside out.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
hi

hi

firstly isn't there no duty on rs25000 per person worth stuff?

secondly don't you call paying no duty when you are supposed to smuggling?

BONZI

Journeyman
I bought a britannica 2002 cd rom few years ago. I paid about Rs.4000 (including shipping). Payment was the painful task. I dont have a credit card so I had to take a dd in US $ ( A relative in china took it for me) and sent them. I got the product with in 2 months. No problems at all.

And one more thing they sent me a check of $10 and said it was some reduction. Guess what I still has it 'cause to get that $10 I will have to spend $20.

Hulo

Broken In
Keith Sebastian said:
eBay - most eBay sellers (the experienced ones) won't agree to ship to India (and few other nations). Why? Lengthy customs clearances. I've been a very active eBayer overseas and have recieved electronics from Singapore,Malaysia,Hong Kong and Japan into Australia. Most customs declarations where just underquoted. Like a $700 Seiko watch will have description as "Beads, Value = $20" and "Gift" filled in on the customs declaration sticker on the packaging. Try this with Indian customs and see what happens. You'll get a letter from customs (in their own sweet time) to come down and collect a parcel from their holding points. Once you go there you'll go through the normal bribing process us Indians are so accustomed to. End result: total money paid + trouble = not worth the savings.

Nemesis - they do scan baggage. The wise *** at you know where airport identified a Johnny Walker Blue label bottle just from the profile on x-ray. Amazing!

Keith

Well that makes India Customs people very efficient becos you can get away with underquoting and misdeclaration elsewhere but not here. And of course they would demand bribe when they catch you in the act. Why call others thieves when u are resorting to cheating by declaring $700 watches as $20 Beads and gifts? In fact it is pointless to misdeclare and underquote the contents of the parcels. Most (in fact all) components of computers and related goods have almost NIL duty if brought by post. If the customs declaration is correct, there is no way they can ask for a bribe. When brought as baggage, of course u can bring as much as u wish upto a total value of Rs.25000 over which u have to pay a duty of 35.7% on the excess value. Please refer to customs websites like *www.geocities.com/indiancustoms for details.

Hulo said:
Keith Sebastian said:

Nemesis - they do scan baggage. The wise *** at you know where airport identified a Johnny Walker Blue label bottle just from the profile on x-ray. Amazing!

Keith

Well that makes India Customs people very efficient becos you can get away with underquoting and misdeclaration elsewhere but not here. And of course they would demand bribe when they catch you in the act. Why call others thieves when u are resorting to cheating by declaring $700 watches as $20 Beads and gifts? In fact it is pointless to misdeclare and underquote the contents of the parcels. Most (in fact all) components of computers and related goods have almost NIL duty if brought by post. If the customs declaration is correct, there is no way they can ask for a bribe. When brought as baggage, of course u can bring as much as u wish upto a total value of Rs.25000 over which u have to pay a duty of 35.7% on the excess value. Please refer to customs websites like *www.geocities.com/indiancustoms for details.

"when u are resorting to cheating by declaring $700 watches as $20 Beads and gifts?" - That wasn't me. It was between the person I bought the stuff from and Australian customs.

"When brought as baggage, of course u can bring as much as u wish upto a total value of Rs.25000 over which u have to pay a duty of 35.7% on the excess value. Please refer to customs websites like *www.geocities.com/indiancustoms for details" - These figures are hypothetical and easily manipulated by customs. Obviously you have no experience whatsoever regarding these matters. Try explaining to a customs officer that the camera you have may be worth $600 in India but you got a great Christmas deal for $350. Just try. Try it after a 14 hour flight and 1/2 hr wait at the baggage carousel at Mumbai Crap-thapathi airport. Try it after you've discovered that one of your bags has been slit open by baggage handlers (no wonder the baggage took 1/2 hr to arrive)

The one thing that everybody seems to be good at here is talking morality.

godzi_85

In the zone
ya man dealing with customs is a lot more horrible than going to the BMC and complaing them about bad roads :p ... the best option is to ask someone who knows the customs inside out and who knows who to dealwith the trecherous custom officers to get stuff
but then how many of us know such people??? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom