How to disable HDD, but Temporarily ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi all,

One of my cousins had got one of his HDD to be corrupted and now hi is asking one of my spare HDD for some time,
and I know that if I give it to him I wont get it back soon,

so pls tell me that is there any way to disable or corrupt my HDD temporarily so that I wont have to give it to him, and pls also tell me how make it run again ???

Thanks in advance !!!

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
lol...

1st method: Just enter into BIOS settings and set all boot device orders to disable.

2nd method: Open cabinet and remove the power cable from ur HDD.

Stalker

Padawan
install linux on the harddisk, in that case it won't be detected in windows

has anyone got a better idea?? i somewat have the same problem

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Oh,
sorry none of you are understanding my prob,

he will take it from me and then he will attach it in his system and then reinstall XP using a bootable CD as he dosent have any OS currently !!!

So, none of your sugestions would help me !!!

pops

Broken In
Very Sorry!!! There is one easy way. Simply disable it from your BIOS or loose the power cable!!!
If u Dont like u may......

U Have not maintained what type of HD, As SATA or ATA type.
If u have ATA type then u have another option, u can try. Plough another CD-ROM or a HD to the same cable. Then change Master/Slave jumper. Do same for both drive, which ll make confusion and Your HD will not readable for your computer. But in this case u r going to block both the device!!!! Sorry. Later u can change all the setting to back.

(Another option is limited 32GB to give illusion any one as bad-sector HD!!!! But make sure u back-uped ur data!!!!!!! Before changing the jumper for this trick!!!)

suman2005

Broken In
rachitboom2 said:
hi is asking one of my spare HDD for some time,
and I know that if I give it to him I wont get it back soon,

Just look him in the eye and say an emphatic... NO !!!!

I have learned this the hard way - people borrow but never lend and never return in same condition so I now just say a big fat .... NO !!!! I dont bother to give a reason as you will find the borrower will try his best to knock down the escuses you give. I firm NO is the end of the discussion.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
If you are willing to go the extra mile to deny your cousin of your hdd, and you have no qualms de-soldering and re-soldering an smd, just desolder a couple of resitors/caps/chips or whatever is easily accessible on the pcb. As soon as he leaves, resolder'em back on. Just hope that you didn't remove the wrong ones o.o

Or, more practically, just hide it in you closet and tell him you gave it away or something.

d

Journeyman
yea mate.. simplest is to disable the hard drive from the BIOS.. the next one's to disconnect power.. you should be able to resume as you'd left as soon as you're done with it..

satyamy

Alive Again...
I too have a same problem like rachitboom2
but none of your suggestion is good & working for me

d

Journeyman
satyamy.. what is the problem that you're having? why don't any of the solutions fit you?

Stalker

Padawan
d said:
satyamy.. what is the problem that you're having? why don't any of the solutions fit you?

well, i think they both don't want their drives to be detected on their friend's comp but function on their own comp only............right??

well, i have the same sort of problem.......any ideas????

pop143

Journeyman
how abt selling ure HDD to him..! mean..if u dont use it frequent...bcoz..that peice wont go for any cost after some years...!!

bharat_r

In the zone
there was some software called Starforce Nightmare which was used to play Star force protected games..u can disable the hard disk with that..

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz
i don't know it will work or not but try
changing the jumper setting........
make it slave......
or limit its capacity........:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom