How to browse linux files(Ubuntu partition)from windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
How to browse linux (Ubuntu partition) files from windows?
I need both read & write access to the files it must be easy but I cant figure out.
As of now I have to copy linux files to windows partitions then it works but I want to keep the files in linux documents/pictures etc & open the files from windows & work on it.

Linux is addictive!

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Edited
while searching google I found this
*www.fs-driver.org/download.html
is this what you guys use or is there any better software to do the same?

QwertyManiac
we posted at the same time
How about this one
*www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

Out of the two which one is better & more features?
thanks

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
The diskinternals one is a horrid choice, it seems to hang often thereby confusing the user if the program is working or not.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I tried diskinternals & that wont even open my linux drive, don't know why.

I installed "ultimate edition 1.8" under windows using wubi installer so it seems i don't have a separate partition.
What to do?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Haven't used Wubi ( Why use it when you got no Windows :)) ) so I don't know but by the way I heard it does things shouldn't they be directly readable on the Windows platform itself?

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Actually I have a dual boot vista/Ubuntu & I thought using wubi installer I would be able to browse the linux files but what wubi installer did was just create a folder named Ubuntu & inside that there are few folder but I don't see the linux media directory

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Actually I don't have any linux partition which I can see as ext2 and ext3 filesystems.
May be bcoz I used the wubi installer & installed within windows.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Could you explain what's media folder? /media/ *mostly* has automounted CD drives or NTFS/FAT partitions (via FUSE)

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I was wrong in saying linux media directory.
I should have said Linux folders
HOME
DOCUMENTS
PICTURES
etc
As seen in this image I don't see any linux partition hence I cant browse that, due to wubi installation I guess. All I see is regular windows partition & in my case I have K:/ubunutu where I installed the linux via windows vista.
*www.fs-driver.org/images/ScreenSaveAs1.gif

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Can you see folders such as usr, var, root? If so find home and then your user-name under it. This is your 'media' folder.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Can you see folders such as usr, var, root? If so find home and then your user-name under it. This is your 'media' folder.
No I don't see any such folder when I am on windows, on linux I have these folders.
here is the screen shot.
*img170.imageshack.us/img170/4687/20080611014328yt9.th.jpg

i suppose it may not work as its a loopmounted Ubuntu install
Then the only choice left is to tweak it as per my requirement then take a backup (mirror) & then install without the wubi installer so I don't have to loose my tweaked system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom