How to boot from SATA drive?

ajayritik

Technomancer
I have two HDD's. one is SATA and the other is IDE. I have XP installed on IDE and XP and Windows 7 installed on the SATA drive. Now by default the system boots with the windows XP that is available in the IDE Drive. What settings should I change to make sure that it boots from the SATA HDD. I checked in the Bios Settings but it's not letting me choose the boot order sequence for the HDD. It's still letting only the IDE HDD to be the primary HDD to boot. Do I need to change any jumper etc on the HDD?

Kindly advise!

koolent

Youngling
Just swap the cables going from the Hard Drive to the motherboard a.k.a SATA CAble.. Do that and post the results.. :beer:

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
This can be easily changed by the BIOS. Look for option Like Boot Drive Priority or something. Toggle and it and you are done.

Also you can install a 3rd party Boot Program to avoid this hassle.

dude_gamer

Half Life2-Follow Freeman
I have two HDD's. one is SATA and the other is IDE. I have XP installed on IDE and XP and Windows 7 installed on the SATA drive. Now by default the system boots with the windows XP that is available in the IDE Drive. What settings should I change to make sure that it boots from the SATA HDD. I checked in the Bios Settings but it's not letting me choose the boot order sequence for the HDD. It's still letting only the IDE HDD to be the primary HDD to boot. Do I need to change any jumper etc on the HDD?

Kindly advise!

Go to Start ---> Run now type "msconfig" & press Enter.
"System configuration" appear in which you have to click on "boot" tab.
there you will find both windows 7 & XP.
just click on OS which you want to make default (i.e windows 7 on SATA drive) then click on "set as default". Apply & OK.
that's all.

Last edited:
OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Actually I want to get rid of the Data currently in the IDE HDD and use it only as backup. However that IDE HDD is now the primary Boot Device. So I should first make SATA one the primary boot device and then back up the data.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
1. Try booting just with the SATA HDD. If everything works fine, you may check the Master-Slave configuration of your HDD's. This configuration used to be there in the older IDE's drives (all HDD's, ODD's and FDD's).... and you may skip the next para to go to the third one.
2. If in case you are unable to boot into the Windows, getting Disk Not Found (or such) error, probably your boot manager is located (mostly on C:\) in your IDE HDD. To correct this Boot in with the Windows 7 DVD and try repairing the Boot Screen. Once it finishes try running Windows again. If successful, you can try the below mentioned steps.
3. You'll need to make your IDE the slave (by configuring the jumper correctly by consulting the manual of your IDE HDD).-This step should be done with utmost care.
4. This done, reconnect your IDE drive, have a quick check in:
BIOS > Standard CMOS Features> IDE Channel * Master etc.. showing your SATA HDD as Master and your IDE HDD as SLAVE.
5. Now set the SATA HDD as the Primary Boot Device:
BIOS > Advanced BIOS Features > Hard Disk Boot Priority : Select your SATA Drive as your primary boot device, save the settings and then save the BIOS settings

Good Luck!:-D

Prime_Coder

I'm a Wannabe Hacker
Your BIOS should display the number of Hard drives and their model details.

Choose the hard disk (having SATA interface) from BIOS as your first hard disk.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually I want to get rid of the Data currently in the IDE HDD and use it only as backup. However that IDE HDD is now the primary Boot Device. So I should first make SATA one the primary boot device and then back up the data.

just make the Sata HDD as the primary boot device but if you do so you will not be able to log into any OS because the boot loader installed by win 7 will be still on the IDE HDD - to fixx it just run win 7 setup using the DVd and select startup repair option and after doing that if you can't log into Xp it can be easily fixed from win 7 using EasyBCD app.

dude_gamer

Half Life2-Follow Freeman
@OP: for Intel motherboard try this:
Go to your BIOS Setup --> Advanced --> Drive configuration.
In "Drive configuration" you will find ATA/IDE mode where there is two mode Namely Native & Legacy.
to boot from SATA Drive select Native Mode.press F10 for save & exit.

(optional: to boot from IDE just select legacy instead of Native)

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
which bios
How do I check this? When I go to Bios Screen can I check which Bios it is?
Just swap the cables going from the Hard Drive to the motherboard a.k.a SATA CAble.. Do that and post the results.. :beer:
I didn't try this yet.
This can be easily changed by the BIOS. Look for option Like Boot Drive Priority or something. Toggle and it and you are done.

Also you can install a 3rd party Boot Program to avoid this hassle.
I already checked the Boot drive priority as mentioned. Maybe the 3rd party boot program is way to go.
Go to Start ---> Run now type "msconfig" & press Enter.
"System configuration" appear in which you have to click on "boot" tab.
there you will find both windows 7 & XP.
just click on OS which you want to make default (i.e windows 7 on SATA drive) then click on "set as default". Apply & OK.
that's all.
When I boot from IDE I get only Windows XP as the option in the settings you mentioned.

you can use some bootloader software ...like EasyBCD
EasyBCD - Take control of your boot loader | NeoSmart Technologies
I need to try this.
Your BIOS should display the number of Hard drives and their model details.

Choose the hard disk (having SATA interface) from BIOS as your first hard disk.
I tried this. It's not selecting the SATA HDD as priority even after I select it as primary boot device. It's reverting to the IDE one as primary.
Which motherboard you are using?
Already updated Intel DG 965 RY
op: which is ur bios
so we can tell u clear way to set it
Already answered above, trying to check how to find out which Bios?
just make the Sata HDD as the primary boot device but if you do so you will not be able to log into any OS because the boot loader installed by win 7 will be still on the IDE HDD - to fixx it just run win 7 setup using the DVd and select startup repair option and after doing that if you can't log into Xp it can be easily fixed from win 7 using EasyBCD app.
hmm. Looks like this is the option I should try. Will give it a try.
@OP: for Intel motherboard try this:
Go to your BIOS Setup --> Advanced --> Drive configuration.
In "Drive configuration" you will find ATA/IDE mode where there is two mode Namely Native & Legacy.
to boot from SATA Drive select Native Mode.press F10 for save & exit.

(optional: to boot from IDE just select legacy instead of Native)
Bingo! Even I was thinking if this is got anything to do with the Native and Legacy Settings yesterday when I checked the BIOS Settings. I wasn't sure what native and legacy stands for so I didn't make any changes. I think it's currently Legacy.

root.king

geek in action
does problem solved

hey @op if u want 2 use ide as only backup then just format it and freshly install os in sata then connect ide

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
does problem solved

hey @op if u want 2 use ide as only backup then just format it and freshly install os in sata then connect ide

So the boot loader now maybe in the IDE HDD so that means I need to reinstall the OS on my SATA again?

root.king

geek in action
ya that should be a very easy way...
If u dont know how to set it in bios

So the boot loader now maybe in the IDE HDD so that means I need to reinstall the OS on my SATA again?

connect only sata and boot from it if that worked (log in to xp and 7) fine , then post back i'll tell u the other way,.

Top Bottom