How much Power does this PC eat up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
I have been looking at various places to get the rough estimate of the Power this system of mine would use up. My power bills have come more high than normal since 2-3 months. All this time, I have my PC on.

Most of the time, I don't do any heavy and demanding stuff on the PC. Its limited to surfing, downloading, reading stuff, etc.

I want to know how much power my System takes. (w/o monitor, speakers, etc)

This is the configuration..

- Intel Celeron D 2.26 GHz
- 2x512 MB DDR 400 MHz
- Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 128 MB
- ECS Via P4M800 Motherboard
- 80 GB IDE
- moser-baer SATA DVD+-RW DL

- Internal 56k Modem
- MM Keyboard + Mouse

- Chinese Low Quality 400 W PSU (It could be 250 W actually, they fake it).. These PSUs have very low effciency 70% or maybe even less. So a lot of power is lost..

MOST of the power tests (eg. from Thermaltake) that I have taken on the internet give on-load values. But when I am just surfing, and keeping it on for downloading at night, I think power usage will be much lower.

Basically I wanted to have a rough idea of power consumption during night, when the monitor is off.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Dont know about that but someone from another forum had 3 pc in his place- 1 htpc, 1 main pc and a 24 hour downloader. He shifted from VIP 400w silver to corsair vx450. He observed that his bills were 300 bucks cheaper. He was using a x3 or x4 proccy with gigabyte 780g mobo as a downloading rig btw. I have seen some people (in India if some are wondering) using better main caps, electrolytic caps, much better fans, 16AWG wiring and using custom sleeves. For an end user its a hassle, but people who are well verse with soldering and all can do this. I think you do really get good server power supply which can be used for a low powered machine.

OP
IronManForever

IronManForever

@The Sorcerer..
No doubt, if the person uses a X3 for Download rig, maybe he also uses a Core i7 for HTPC and a Mainframe as his main PC, then 300 Rs low on a bill would be nothing extra-ordinary. Whats the normal bill like? 20,000? :p
---------------
I did not get any techy things that you said, sorry, afterall my career line is almost opposite..

If anybody is confused, I repeat I wanted to know the Idle Time power consumption of my PC.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ Well the main pc isnt used much unless its for work :p. He's a reputed member at TE so he knows what's he buying- unlike some people who claim a lot. Someone whom I used to know a year ago who had 20 quad machines for his autocad projects had bill of 27-30k. I doubt using 3 config will generate so much bill. Most probably 5-6k. I have a mac and a this main pc so the total bill I get is 2-2.5k. Most of the time my main machine is on.

acewin

Point Blanc
20K is quiet alot, I have been paying my electricity bill, a very low power consuming downloader rig will run on less than 100W as GPU and all will be shut. fans will be running low speed. With current boradband plans do not think, system will run very long as the best plan for downloadin in BSNL giving max 2MBps download speed in night 2-8 will come up less than 6 hours continous run.
Change this to a E8400 and such config system(no downloader and main PC) it will be running around 150W.

I used my laptop for downloading, not much electrical appliance in my house. my internet plan being Home 750 Plus(256KBps unlimted) lappy ran very long still my bills never went very high. and were less than 500 bucks

the power consumtion for downloader rig will be 15-20% more than when system is just ideal.
Rated Energy-efficient mobos are a plus, and mobo with onboard GPU even better.

Check this chart Check Power consumption of system when idle, and you will realize it.

Basically I wanted to have a rough idea of power consumption during night, when the monitor is off.

I think around 50-60W, a good PSU saves almost 30% of electricity, yours should have been less than 40W.
E7200-G31, check the PSU used, its just a 220W PSU.
And check the power cunsumtion results for the setup

a celeron D cunsumes lesser power than E7200. as Sorcerer, a good PSU makes real good difference, your system should have run fine on 300W PSU

Last edited:
OP
IronManForever

IronManForever

^ Now WHAT was that?

@acewin. Thanks for all that valuable input. My PSU Sucks.. So I could be certain that my system would run on less than 100 W during such low-activity period? Phew! That gives relief. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom