How much is too much for a smartphone?

rohanz

Journeyman
smartphone? really? you use notes, to do, reminder, calender sync, task manager and every word in the dictionary? that and not including playing and installing every game and app ever released. impossible, no one needs to use 100% of a phone. Forget smartphones, even the phones that came out 10 years ago. The main thing here is what the consumer needs to do, not what the phone can do.

annnd haters gonna hate...

Yes, I do. I bought an android smartphone(optimus 2X) 2 years back for 25k(can't get a new one because I am in 12th) and now I think it does not have a lot of features. I have installed a ton of apps(atm 100 apps are installed). I have used it to control stuff (robots, lights). I have made a ROM for it, made apps and learned a lot. I don't use weather apps because of the limited RAM and processing power.

bikramjitkar

In the zone
^Wow, you got a 25k phone when you were in Class 10??? I used to think twice about asking my parents for even 250 bucks when I was your age. :lol: Parents these days...

No wonder these companies have the gall to charge 40k for their frickin' phones.

rohanz

Journeyman
^Wow, you got a 25k phone when you were in Class 10??? I used to think twice about asking my parents for even 250 bucks when I was your age. :lol: Parents these days...

No wonder these companies have the gall to charge 40k for their frickin' phones.

Had to study like **** for it. And I think my purchase was justified.

bikramjitkar

In the zone
Had to study like **** for it. And I think my purchase was justified.

Newsflash: All of us "had to study like **** " in class 10 and 12. You shouldn't expect a 25k phone for that. Don't take this personally, but I feel kids these days don't understand the value of money and their parents are to blame. There is no greater satisfaction than when you bust your ass and save up to buy things with your own hard earned money.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
bikramjitkar, calm down.

No need to be so rude.

Just because he got a 25k phone at the age of 15-16 doesn't give you the right to speak in this manner with him. He didn't force his parents into buying the phone for him.

It doesn't matter how much you spend as long as you're not wasting what you spend.

2 years ago 25k was pretty much the mid tier of high end phones except apple (usually prices didn't go above 35k for phones other than iPhones). Apple is to blame for the inflation, not parents.

If the other person has said and explained that he can indeed use his phone to the fullest, you have NO REASON to attack him for spending so much cash.

I think it is absolutely fine to reward your child at that age if he has worked hard and earned what he has been gifted. Do you expect a 16 year old to earn 25k in ~3-4 months? Are you out of your mind?

If he was doing what he was supposed to at his age, you have no reason to say what you did to him.

ratul

█████████████████
Newsflash: All of us "had to study like **** " in class 10 and 12. You shouldn't expect a 25k phone for that. Don't take this personally, but I feel kids these days don't understand the value of money and their parents are to blame. There is no greater satisfaction than when you bust your ass and save up to buy things with your own hard earned money.

+1 to that, but we can't blame them for it, it's a generation change, we used to spend more than our parents and used to hear the same from them, though money spending has increased like 100 folds in last 10 years, in comparison to like 10-20x for us to our parents, which is a healthy 20-25yrs on avg..
My dad used to fancy a cycle when he was 10-15, i and my friends used to fancy a cycle when we were 10-15 (25yrs. GAP) and my neighbor who's 15 (7 yrs GAP from me) fancy and demands atleast a scooty from his parents... :p My cousin who's 10 needs a smartphone, but they all want it just because their friends have it, this generation is like that only, and they are learning from us only, they don't see us as 20-30yrs old earning persons, they see us like: "My brother has this bike and phone, i also want it"..
As i see myself, my bro (3 yrs elder to me) got his first mobile phone when he went to clg, i got my first at the same time, though i was in 11th, so though we both got the phones at the same time, i got it earlier in my life as compared to him, same goes with kids these days, they see us, they tell their parents, and the parents have to buy that to make them happy.. :oops:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Agree or not, parents have become much more liberal. If a deserving child has a 25k phone, fine. But if over all consideration is taken, no child before college education should be given mobiles. Mobile is the first step to break limits. Everything has got a time, so has mobile or anything else. At least this is my personal view and I DON'T CARE if someone disagrees with it.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
movies, games, apps, mp3s - watch and delete after consumption, re-download when necessary
pics and documents - cloud.

:facepalm:
You expect someone to re-download entire legitly bought games or that much data collected over months in India with FUP'd 4 mbps (which is still slow speed) internet?

but the point that phone cannot replace desktop is valid, at the same time desktop cannot replace phone. (think whatsapp, e-tickets).

Agreed with this.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Most parents provide a phone just to keep in contact, as in my case.. i was attending coaching classes really far from where i was staying.. So a phone was a necessity not a "want"..
But, when you do "earn" a phone later on, of a 12-15k value.. you will realise how precious it really is..
even if its not a nexus 4, it has a special "value" attached to it, that you can proudly say, you earned it
even if the goddamn thing crashes 10 times a day :-x
tedha hai, lekin mera hai

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Yes, I do. I bought an android smartphone(optimus 2X) 2 years back for 25k(can't get a new one because I am in 12th) and now I think it does not have a lot of features. I have installed a ton of apps(atm 100 apps are installed). I have used it to control stuff (robots, lights). I have made a ROM for it, made apps and learned a lot. I don't use weather apps because of the limited RAM and processing power.
Wow. It's great you found so much use for the device.

:facepalm:
You expect someone to re-download entire legitly bought games or that much data collected over months in India with FUP'd 4 mbps (which is still slow speed) internet?

Yep, especially purchases. one of the advantages of such storefronts. Humble bundle or amazon, can delete without worrying about how to get it again. Or download only what content is needed in diff devices. Internet in India is good enough to handle these services even at 1 mbps. Not so much usage patterns (rip flyte). Constant connectivity is required, not over much bandwidth.

Flash

Lost in speed
IMO, School going kids should not be given with costlier mobiles.
Just a basic mobile with calling/messaging/music/games/browser/GPS(optional) feature would suffice to know the whereabouts & for recreational purposes.

Flaunting costlier mobiles outside also contributes a risk factor, just like showcasing costly ornaments for the kids.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Newsflash: All of us "had to study like **** " in class 10 and 12. You shouldn't expect a 25k phone for that. Don't take this personally, but I feel kids these days don't understand the value of money and their parents are to blame. There is no greater satisfaction than when you bust your ass and save up to buy things with your own hard saved money.

just a little correction :p

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
But spending 30k+ on a cellphone which will get outdated in less than 2 years is stupidity. A laptop within that price can be used for years in terms of software and OS upgrade by shelling out a minimal amount on faster RAM and HDD from time to time.

very well said...smartphone companies are crunching Quad Core/Octa Core to give PC like performance with high price tag :|
and then other magnetic features to attract more buyes... motion detector,smart stay etc etc

dan4u

Took Off!!!
word-processing ?? how a thing can be called word-processing when you can't type at 'normal' speed or even below that....
even i prefer chatting on a desktop/laptop than a mobile/tablet coz i would take hell loads of time to just type even subtle responses...
these phones are a pile of trash...and people just buy them for money to show off...

well there's Gesture typing like swype or google keyboard , its much faster than typing ........and some expensive phones are not bought just for the "quad core"...the camera also plays a major role, not everyone wants to walk around with two devices, the phone camera is being used for everyday usage (except by enthusiasts), and expensive phones have cameras that can rival entry level digicams,

and I'd say 20 -22k would be the sweet spot, at that price you can expect a decent camera & other common features (exception for the nexus series though :p)

Top Bottom