How much amount of PC133 SD-RAM, will Intel Solano 815i support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
Hi guys, i have an old PC, which i need to make use of. It already has 2x128MB SD-RAM. One of these is 100Mhz, other 133Mhz. The mobo has three ram slots overall....

So my question is: will the pc function if i add a 256MB stick??? or will all sticks need to have same capacity??

Also, what will be the total amount of RAM supported??

Please help me out.
Thanks.

Sooraj_digit

BLah.. Blah..blah.......
yes of course it will fuction and though with more noticable speed, get your self 133 Mhz module. But you have SD ram slots, a bottleneck, SD ram are the costliest and the toughest to find in shops. reply to ur ques: it is the "frequency" which matters NOT "capacity" for ram modules to work glitch free. Max. ram supported by your mobo must be at least 2 gigs(ONLY A GUESS!!). For an advice have new pc if possible(only take it as a advice, not seriously). Hope u r happy.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
IIRC, the Intel 810 chipset family, which includes the 815, supports up to 512 MB RAM, so you should be okay with adding 256 MB. I'm sure about the 810 chipset, but even if the 815 is different, it will not be lower than 512 MB because the 815 is more advanced than the 810.

They don't have to be all the same "capacity" - 128 + 128 + 256 gives you 512 MB.

Regarding speed, if you install more than one RAM stick, they will all run at the speed of the slowest one, 100 MHz in your case.

OP
confused

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
thanks guys for the answers.... as it turns out, the mobo supports only 512mb memory.
forgot to mention that i also have a nvidia 5200fx 128mb card. so when i plug in the 256 mb ram (bought it yesterday for 500 bucks), there is no display...... guess i will have to plug out one 128mb ram card.

For an advice have new pc if possible(only take it as a advice, not seriously). Hope u r happy.
dude, i bought a high end pc recently, but wary of taking it to my hostel. so need to reburbish my PIII.:D
here is my config:*thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87334

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
thanks guys for the answers.... as it turns out, the mobo supports only 512mb memory.
forgot to mention that i also have a nvidia 5200fx 128mb card. so when i plug in the 256 mb ram (bought it yesterday for 500 bucks), there is no display...... guess i will have to plug out one 128mb ram card.
No, it doesn't work that way. The memory on you graphics card is used in another way, and does not change the amount of RAM you can use via the motherboard RAM slots.

The absence of display must be due to other reasons. Make sure all all memory sticks are firmly inserted, and check all other connections. It could also be that you "new" 256 MB is defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom