How many Linux users are there in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
The World According to Linux

How many Linux users are there in the world? 5,000? 5,000,000? 50,000,000? No one is really sure. Linux users aren't forced to register their operating system with any corporation; Linux users are free to install and use Linux without anyone ever being the wiser. And what about all of the people who don't even realize they're using Linux? Is Linux running your PDA? Smart Phone? GPS? TiVO? Tablet? Router? Wrist watch? Car? Is Linux lurking inside all of your electronic gadgets? Probably not, but it's turning up more and more these days.

Have you ever noticed how flaky the numbers are in reference to the actual count of Linux users in the world? Some say as high as 4% - 7%; others say as low as less than one percent. Is it possible that there are a lot more Linux users than anybody realizes? I have noticed that a lot of the sites that imply Linux use is stagnant at less than one percent are usually sites filled with Microsoft-related ads and sites that are basing these numbers on web statistics, that is they're checking their servers and counting only those Linux users hitting their websites. I'm honestly surprised that one percent of Linux users are going to these sites; we Linux users have better things to do, right? But then, I'm still surprised at the number of Windows users that hit our site.

Seeing that most of these websites take it upon themselves to use website statistics in order to introduce FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) into would-be Linux users by implying that hardly anyone uses Linux; we at LinuxHow2 are going to use our website statistics to show that most of the world is apparently using Linux. According to our statistics, 96.4% of computer users are running Linux. Whoa! It looks like Linux has completely claimed the market. 0.6% of computer users are running Apple; hmm, but I thought the Apple market share was improving? Oh, and funny enough, 3% of computer users are running Windows. Wait a minute! These stats are completely biased, right? Well, I hope you're getting the point.

Read on Full article:
*linuxhow2.com/Feature_Articles/The_World_According_to_Linux.html

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Can't believe. I think Win32 users are more than *NIX users. Thats what we see here in India :p !

ray|raven

Think Zen.
In India, the situation is different.
People here believe that Windows and Word are free , and copying them from a friend is just as ok, as reading the news paper from the guy sitting beside you.
And this is partly due to the computer sellers,
Assemble a computer and the guy asks you,
Sir XP ya Vista?

Once the notion that some software are paid , and using them without paying for it is widespread, we can expect people to switch to Linux.

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
People here don't know how much Linux has developed.I recently told my friend about my Linux switch-over and he was befuddled, as if I had committed a moral crime.!I asked him what he thought, or had heard about Linux.His reply was like "In linux you have to type out everything like in DOS-windows.!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom