Ho hum ... History repeating itself ... XP yesterday, Vista today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
"Vista today is just like XP was 6 years ago. People are whining and moaning and saying that Vista is the worst thing since minced bread. They say XP is the ideal and does almost everything perfectly.

Problem is, and I guess 6 years is a really long time, XP was received in just the same way. The same response, the same questions, the same demands. Few people can get it through their heads that Vista will, like XP did over time, become the OS of choice and we will not know the difference or care. As loved and touted as XP is today, Vista will be in 4 years.

As proof, and since it's late I only did a quick search, I offer you these two reviews. One for XP 6 months in the wild, and one for Vista. You'll find some interesting parallels. Both of them are from Cnet, and I hope to find several more to prove my point." From Neowin.

CNET about XP 6 years back.

The system requirements swamp
First, Microsoft says 64MB, then it turns around and says 128MB. What gives?

Oh, driver, my driver
You still can't find the right drivers? Here's the scoop.

Service pack, anyone?
If you've been holding off for some major updates, hope is on the horizon.

The help you need
Now, you don't have to run up your phone bill getting help from your techie uncle.

Programs to watch out for
No OS escapes the software bugaboo. Find out how XP's holding up.

The bugs crawl in
What good is your OS if any old Tom, Dick, or Hacker can march in anytime?

Err ... sound familiar !?

Extract From WinVistaClub.

din

Tribal Boy
Great find !!!

anandk said:
As loved and touted as XP is today, Vista will be in 4 years.
So as per the source and explanation, it is very clear we better wait for 4-6 yrs for Vista than jumping into it and do the 'beta test' for free ! I mean those who really liked XP and using it rt now, need not go for an upgrade now ;)

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
din said:
Great find !!!

So as per the source and explanation, it is very clear we better wait for 4-6 yrs for Vista than jumping into it and do the 'beta test' for free ! I mean those who really liked XP and using it rt now, need not go for an upgrade now ;)
But those buying new computers should get Vista !

That's the gist . If it ain't broken why fix it .

praka123

left this forum longback
I dont believe XP with SP2 is that good!though XP is much faster.XP is still open to security threats.while due to release of Vista,all windows users are feeling nostalgia and trying to prove XP SP2 *was* secure :rolleyes:
dont expect any de javoo like what happened with XP in Vista,expect the dejavoo of what happened to windows ME :twisted:

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Hmm,if people found xp crappy years back and they think is good now,
it means it took M$ 6 years to develop enough updates/patches to make an already released os moderately stable.

Hmm,since it took vista 6 years to be developed,i wonder how long it will take for it to be patched to where xp is now ;)

Regards,
ray

praka123

left this forum longback
I'll be 45 then. ;) and microsoft will be already dead by then.and google will be the monopoly!I'll be there to kill google's monopoly :D

din

Tribal Boy
anandk said:
As loved and touted as XP is today, Vista will be in 4 years.

Zeeshan Quireshi said:
But those buying new computers should get Vista !

LOL, sorry, no offence, but it sound like - New computer buyers should suffer, they should not get XP or any other OS !!

As you already know lot of people going back to XP form Vista, why not giving them 4 or 6 yrs instaed of forcing Vista ? Let Vista become good by that time - As per the author of the article !!

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I think Win98 and win2k were the only windows operating systems that received immediate applause from users across the globe.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^heh yeah.

4-5 saal mein vista to perfect karenge then windows 7(or whatever is that called) release ka time aa jayega its a endless loop.Whatever XP is better than VIsta as of now and with the upcoming sp3 its gonna be even more better(if M$ decides to play honest).Lets see how sp1 fares.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
lol.. this is like those who say.. PS3 will be.. will be...

It aint.. so. it is not.. when it will be, we'll see.. If linux can catchup so much within 18months, by the prediction about Vista in 4yrs.. Yes, it will be good.. but by then majority of the world will be on OSS.

So, I'm saying.. in 4 yrs times, OSS will rule.... then you say... lets see when it will be... so i say.. lets think about vista after 4 yrs.. coz it aint good now... simple as that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom