High Performance Desktop for 2k EUR

aaruni

The Linux Guy
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)
Ans: CPU heavy things like code compilation and training some ML models. Will also want to run video games occaisonally. Raytracing performance is not super important, but would be nice if most games would run at high settings and 100+fps in 1080p / ~60fps in 1440p. (Will definitely play RDR2, Cyberpunk 2077, Metro Exodus, Witcher 3).

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: Around 2000 EUR for just the cabinet and components. I already have some peripherals, and I might upgrade them later. Could increase budget by ~200 EUR, but less is better.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Maybe near the end of the component's lives I would overclock a bit, but not in the first few years.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: 100% Linux build. Might try to run a hackintosh on it for lolz, but not important.

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: I'm thinking 500GB nvme + 2 TB SATA SSD.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: I have a cheap 1080p / 20 inch monitor. I may upgrade it in the future or buy a second screen, but not as a part of current purchase.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I only have the peripherals: keyboard, mouse, monitor with speaker. Everything else needs to be bought.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: June or July 2023

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I built a desktop back in Pentium 4 days, and I will build it myself, but might have to read manuals or look it up on youtube.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Germany. Don't really know local places here, so, anything available on idealo.de is stuff I could get.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Already thinking of a build along these lines, open to suggestions and corrections

CPURyzen R9 7900 or 7900 X (whichever is cheaper at time of purchase)
*www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/202275773_-ryzen-9-7900-boxed-amd.html
500 EUR
GPUSapphire RX 6600
*www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/Offer...eon-rx-6600-pulse-8g-sapphire-technology.html
300 EUR
RAMKingston FURY 2 x 16 GB DDR5
*www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/Offer...ddr5-5200-cl36-kf552c36bbek2-32-kingston.html
140 EUR
NVME SSDCrucial P5 Plus 500GB
*www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/201512030_-p5-plus-500gb-crucial.html
70 EUR
SATA SSDCricial MX500 2TB
*www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/5950096_-mx500-2tb-crucial.html
140 EUR
CabinetFractal Design Torrent
*www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/Offer...rrent-black-tg-light-tint-fractal-design.html
220 EUR
CoolerNoctua U12-S
*www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/3885374_-nh-u12s-noctua.html
75 EUR
MotherboardASrock X670E Pro
*www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/202120657_-x670e-pro-rs-asrock.html
320 EUR
PSUEVGA Supernova 650 G5
*www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/200288134_-supernova-650-g5-650w-evga.html
95 EUR

Total : 1860 EUR

A lot will change by June (lower prices & maybe newer GPUs), so not much point in asking now IMO. Still following are my suggestion if you buy one now.

GPU - IMO upgrade the GPU to 6700XT for another 100EUR. It will then meet your expectations of 100fps at 1080p & 60+ fps at 1440p (when you get a new monitor).

RAM - I see 6000MHz CL32 for a few euro more or 6000MHz CL30 for like 20 EUR more. Both can be considered a better investment. Don't go above 6000MHz for Ryzen. In 2017 or so, 3200MHz was relatively high for DDR4, now its kind of the bare minimum.

Mobo - If you are keeping headroom for PCIe 5.0 GPUs, then X670E makes sense, else X670 should suffice.

SSD - Just get 1TB NVMe for around 100 EUR

CPU - look into 105W eco mode, use it that way. Also look into undervolting. Experiment a bit with UV + power limits to get as much performance as possible using that cooler.

These small changes will improve experience will remaining close to 2000 EUR budget you have & buying right now.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
650W is the recommended number for 6700XT, should be fine. My i5 12400 + 3070 used to draw under 400W while gaming in stock config, these days I run the GPU undervolted.
Hmm. Is there a huge difference in power draw between 6700xt and 6800xt? I have a 6800xt and my previous Seasonic 650w PSU croaked when I play something graphically intense like Cyberpunk 2077. So I had to upgrade to Antec 850w.

100% Linux build. Might try to run a hackintosh on it for lolz, but not important.
Then good call getting all AMD hardware. You could also run Windows on QEMU with VFIO, that way you don't even have to install Windows on an actual partition and have full access to the GPU to play games et al.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
RX 6650 XT for 350 euros should be fine. Check on mindfactory.de.

300 euros for RX 6600 is too much.

Hmm. Is there a huge difference in power draw between 6700xt and 6800xt? I have a 6800xt and my previous Seasonic 650w PSU croaked when I play something graphically intense like Cyberpunk 2077. So I had to upgrade to Antec 850w.

Then good call getting all AMD hardware. You could also run Windows on QEMU with VFIO, that way you don't even have to install Windows on an actual partition and have full access to the GPU to play games et al.
6800XT recommends 750W. I think there's a ~100W difference in power.

RX 6650 XT for 350 euros should be fine. Check on mindfactory.de.

300 euros for RX 6600 is too much.
Some numbers to put where different GPUs lie:
GPU mid range 1440p.png

Newer numbers:
1677263860291.png

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
For VFIO, still try to gather info about the reset bug.

It is indeed fixed for >95% RX 6000 series cards, but sometimes a certain card from a certain board manufacturer has the bug.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
For VFIO, still try to gather info about the reset bug.

It is indeed fixed for >95% RX 6000 series cards, but sometimes a certain card from a certain board manufacturer has the bug.
I did a single GPU passthru on my machine with the 6800xt. I didnt face any issues. I had to disable resizable BAR though.

Edit: Mine is Gigabyte card if that matters.

I also took help from the VFIO discord for setting it up. *discord.gg/f63cXwH

Last edited:
Top Bottom