High end gaming and video rendering PC

shekharSHASHANK

Journeyman
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:All modern AAA titles with FR of about 100-144Hz and Premier Pro.Both gaming and editing extensively.(12+ hours a day combined time)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:At max 120k.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:Not in the near future but would appreciate only overclockable board suggestions.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:Windows(Obviously) but will get it pirated.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:1-2Tb max.I have an ext of 1tb for additional storage.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:need to buy a monitor too 1080p(24"), RR-144hz, Not sure about Gsync.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:Keyboard,mouse and UPS

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:September to October end(Waiting for either pascal or price drop on 980Ti)

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:I'll be doing it on my own.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Mostly online(Mdcomputers for 99% of the parts)

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:No SLI configurations, And GPU over 980Ti not below, also board Z170 chipset.
I would prefer only Intel+nVidia combos

Last edited:

yasho2249

Broken In
Here's the build :
Intel Core i5-6500, Sapphire Radeon R9 390X, Deepcool TESSERACT SW - System Build - PCPartPicker Indi
All prices from mdcomputers.in. Couldn't get everything that you wanted. The most of all would be the 390X bt the thing is the 980ti comes at 55k and you need something like a 6700k soo that it won't get bottlenecked. That pair alone costs about 80-85k and though I tried to squeeze it I ended up at 120k without the monitor and psu.

The 6500 because you don't want to overclock though I would suggest 6600k. The i7 would help in video editing bt seems a bit out of budget
Got an Asus Mobo with good reviews
The R9 390X does outperform the 980 though(the 980 costs 45-50k), here are some numbers Radeon R9 Fury X 4K Benchmarks vs GTX 980 Ti/ R9 390X/ GTX 980 - YouTube and though it falls behind 980ti as he says here AMD R9 390X vs NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti - YouTube the 390X provides much better price performance ratio and the 8gb Vram will help in video editing. But if you are an nvidia fan I can't help it.
The case is the cheapest that gets the job done. You can go for something better
Not really sure about the monitor. This one seems best suited for gaming and if you want freesync the the G2460PF model provides it though I couldn't find it. You can go for something totally different.

Soo if you are a nvidia fan just ignore but for me pairing a 6500 with 980ti won't be good. Also the AMD cards seem to have a great advantage in DX12 where as the maxwell cards don't show any difference in performance.

Sent from my D5322 using Tapatalk

OP
S

shekharSHASHANK

Journeyman
Well i looked at the rig that you sent..I xan easily stitch a 980Ti, in place of the 390X.
The Asus mobo makes no sense. 21K.
I can get a mobo for 10-11k..
High end mobs make no sense for fps increase.And I am an nvidia fan.
Cant help it..
How ever i saw that 1080 launched yest.And is a titan killer. I assume until Oct most board partners wouls come out with their own Gtx1080 .
And assuming the taxes it would cost around 50k,coz its cheaper than 980Ti.

Also i dont think 6600K wouod choke 1080 or 980Ti.
Or 980Ti atleast would drop its price after 1080..
Isn't it??

Lincon_WD

WD Official
Hi shekharSHASHANK,

I agree with yasho2249. As per your need, I‘d also recommend you to go with powerful configuration for the gaming rig . If you are planning to play heavy games like COD, GTA5 and etc, then go with the selected GPU and SSD. I believe WD Black internal drive will fulfill your requirements. The WD Black drive is the use of high performance like gaming and video editing.

The following link describes the specifications for the WD Black HDD.

Support Answer

Just a suggestion, for RAM upgradation, if you run 2 sticks of 2400 Mhz (16x2); you will be running memory in dual channel which will be a greater increase in performance than running a single stick in single channel.

Hope this information helps.

OP
S

shekharSHASHANK

Journeyman
Dual channel has very minor performance gains over single channels. For the price considerations ill be sticking to WD blues.
And a single stick 3000Mhz 16 gigs DDR5.

- - - Updated - - -

Also do any of you know.. How are the MSI tomahawk Z170 mobos..They sure do look nice BUT..
Do they provide enough stability for long term useage (around 5 yrs+)?

akhilc47

Journeyman
You can wait for Pascal right? Since you've enough budget and the benchmarks for Pascal looks really good

OP
S

shekharSHASHANK

Journeyman
Yeah..m planning this build for september end...wiol sure wait for pascal..1070 or 1080..time will tell..
As far as the pricing goes..
I think 1080 will cost same what 980Ti costs right now..Even though it retails lesser over At US..Coz of the import tax regulations..
So I guess..I will wait..
I think i might even see some 3rd party chipsets until october..
And you are right benchmarks sure do look promising..

yasho2249

Broken In
Well i looked at the rig that you sent..I xan easily stitch a 980Ti, in place of the 390X.
The Asus mobo makes no sense. 21K.
I can get a mobo for 10-11k..
High end mobs make no sense for fps increase.And I am an nvidia fan.
Cant help it..
How ever i saw that 1080 launched yest.And is a titan killer. I assume until Oct most board partners wouls come out with their own Gtx1080 .
And assuming the taxes it would cost around 50k,coz its cheaper than 980Ti.

Also i dont think 6600K wouod choke 1080 or 980Ti.
Or 980Ti atleast would drop its price after 1080..
Isn't it??
Well since you are spending soo much I thought it will be good to have some extra features but if you are only looking for "fps increase", yes u can go with a 10k z170 mobo. Nvidia fan? No problem.....I just look for the best price performance ratio and amd GPUs aren't bad unlike their cpus(just saying). However I really think that a i7 is needed for something like a 1080 not to mention that you will be editing too. And yes the 980ti will definitely fall. Soo I would say a 10k mobo but to stick with an i7 :)

OP
S

shekharSHASHANK

Journeyman
Fitting an i7+ 980Ti/1080 in my budget seems a tad bit difficult.
I guess ill have to go for an i5 and wait couple hours more on my render times.

Also what extra features do high end mobos provide.?(asking)
Ac to me it has been more like a good sound adapter/card in the mobo or some extra SSD slots(yup those small ones )
And then thers all the special overclock modes etc etc,liq N2 ones too in some.
I dont think ill be needing those..
Also ill be saving up again to get a better mixer board and sound card.
So audio dept. No issues.

Apart from these, do you think there are any sensible bells and whistles that premium mobis give for a gamer?
If yes i might think about giving my pocket a bigger blow and squeeze a maximus hero.

yasho2249

Broken In
Well they help in extreme overclocking. Some claim to have overclocked the 2500k to 5.5GHz with maximus boards(just claims though) but no doubt they help in extreme overclocking. Nothing much for gaming though. Extreme overclocking won't help much in fps increase

Sent from my D5322 using Tapatalk

Planning to build a PC should start 1 month in advance, not 4 . Post the same topic in August and you will get a completely different set of suggestions.
Wait for Pascals or AMD's next gen GPUs. Tech Journos predict this will be the year for AMDs comeback.

Stick to Single Channel DDR4 memories, like an 8GB stick. When u feel the need, upgrade to 16 . Been using single 8GB stick for over a year, haven't felt the need to upgrade so far, even with Multiple Chrome browsers running, Blade & Soul MMO running and DOTA2 Waiting for friends to come online. The Dual Channel=More Performance craze of the DDR2 days are over. 1 stick, 2 stick, 3 stick...whatever, its all the same in real life computing experience.

For Motherboard look for these things:
M.2 Slot with support for PCIE NVME
Support for higher clocked RAMs (Z170 series)

Dont go after "Killer NIC" or "Gamer LAN" and other bullshit. NO TECH REVIEWER HAS PROVED THAT THEY BRING SIGNIFICANT PERFORMANCE INCREASE
Similarly, dont be seduced by SuperiorFXAUDIO XYZ . Unless the motherboard has a dedicated DAC, ignore all advertising related to "awesome music experience". (and do u even need a DAC??)
Ignore all the Gold Plated/Platinium Plated/Diamond Plated/Admantium Vibranium Plated Capacitors and what not... Even a Rs5000 motherboard has sturdy reliable capacitors that will last you 5+ years , and you wont even notice whether it has Copper or Vibranium capacitors. I dont believing n spending Rs5000 extra for an exaggerated peace of mind, similar to , lets say building a Zombie Outbreak Shelter in case of Zombie Apocalypse.
GPU clips/armor . Phuleeezz, GPU manufacturers have this area covered , dont let motherboard manufacturers leech you more for exxagerated peace of mind.
Ignore all the RGB Lighting effects.

- - - Updated - - -

In short, get a Gigabyte Z170 UD3

rakeshhkuma90

Journeyman
Case Cooler Master 690 III
Processor Intel Core i7-4790K Devils Canyon
Motherboard MSI Z97-Gaming 3
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz C9
Cooler Cooler Master Seidon 120V Plus
GPU MSI GeForce GTX 970 OC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 SL
SSD Intel 535 120GB
HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB
PSU CoolerMaster G750M 750 Watt

OP
S

shekharSHASHANK

Journeyman
Case Cooler Master 690 III
Processor Intel Core i7-4790K Devils Canyon
Motherboard MSI Z97-Gaming 3
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz C9
Cooler Cooler Master Seidon 120V Plus
GPU MSI GeForce GTX 970 OC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 SL
SSD Intel 535 120GB
HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB
PSU CoolerMaster G750M 750 Watt

It really helps if u read the actual post..

Top Bottom