Help with Upgrade

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@sam
maybe i didnt frame my question properly.....
i was aksing which is most important part from point of upgrading ??

i think my previous reply covers this part too, a bit. firstly you need to check whats your usage & why you are upgrading. do you need better processing power, powerful GPU, hard drive or ram. in case of latter two, simply add them & problem solve.

however if its a processor upgrade, most likely your current board mayn't support any of AMD or Intel solutions. so first step is get a board that will support next gen processor i.e. backward compatibility. then drop in a suitable processor according to your needs. but don't spend most of the cash on motherboard just for the sake that it'll support next gen processor. nobody can say if board manufacturer will release bios update to allow future gen processor support possible.

GPU, ram, hdd can be added easily. so those are secondary concern and mainly limited by budget.

so if you choose AMD, get AM3+ socket so at least bulldozer & maybe piledriver will be supported while you continue to use Athlon2/Phenom2. in case of Intel, its been confirmed that Ivy Bridge will be socket compitable with current 6series chipset. so core i3 is a good choice. only problem, you get exactly what you pay for. not even a single Mhz can't be increased while with AMD, Athlon II can be overclocked by as much as 500Mhz on stock cooler. so think about the pros and cons of each platform & decide.

hope this time i am bang on target :)

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
Cilus - Dude... really? U dint like Pentium G Series... I'm a big fan on G6950!!
Although intel locked SB SKUs thats sad!! :(

I think G620 should be so far behind AII X3's??

Cilus

laborare est orare
Cilus - Dude... really? U dint like Pentium G Series... I'm a big fan on G6950!!
Although intel locked SB SKUs thats sad!! :(

I think G620 should be so far behind AII X3's??

LionKing, I am not expressing my personal opinion buddy; It is the different reviews which clearly indicate that Athlon II X3 3 GHz+ CPUs are ahead of Pentium G series in almost all multi-threaded and productivity applications. Check the Anandtech review. Also in gaming X3 is almost neck to neck with the G series and can be overclocked easily to match it of not beating it. Plus you will get a more feature rich board from AMD at the same price point compared to Intel.

Top Bottom