Help: Upgrading 10 years old rig step by step

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
Due to budget constraints I cannot shed a chunk of about 20-30k cash. So this is what I plan to do, need to know the possibilities-

I have a 10 year old machine-

Intel Pentium 4 1.8 GHz,
Gigabyte Intel 845GV Chipset Motherboard,
0.5 GB DDR Ram,
Gigabyte 128MB ATi Radeon 9200 SE Pro Series AGP Card,
40GB HDD and CD-RW Drive (Serial Cable) :D
Frontech ATX Cabinet

I may start with motherboard and cabinet, but then I need to know if they are downward compatible with my CPU and RAM. If yes, how do i figure out socket port compatibility(esp with CPU).

If no, where should I begin with while spending least possible amount and go ahead with time part by part.

PS: I purchased LED monitor so that's not into consideration.

Thanks in advance,

Enjoy~!

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
[strike]
upgrade like this IMO -
Cabinet
PSU
HDD
RAM
Mobo +CPU
GPU
[/strike]

I just remembered that the mobo won't be compatible with the RAM and the HDD too.

so go like this-
Cabinet
PSU
Mobo+CPU+RAM[save money for some time if you don't have the budget]
HDD
GPU

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
You will have to upgrade CPU + Mobo + RAM + PSU together. No turning around it.

So, my advice is going to be just one of these things:
1. Save money and buy them together
2. Take a loan from parents or something, and get them together
3. Buy parts on EMI on Flipkart (they do provide EMI's)
4. Lend father's CC to get it on EMI
5. Buy a second hand PC/laptop until you can make yourself a modern rig
6. Make a very economical rig (I call it LEPC - Low End PC). More on this below:

I was using a Pen 4 rig for more than 7 years since 2005. After many curses from [MENTION=26711]ico[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26920]Liverpool_fan[/MENTION] I was trolled for remaining so outdated in the wold of computing. And then one day I realized I can't take it anymore. So I decided to quit Pen 4, come whatever it takes. My dream was atleast a 3rd generation Intel rig, but didn't had budget. So I decided to built a PC that can help me get out of Pen 4 misery. I came to know about an AMD combo motherboard that consists of an AMD APU and stock graphics which rivaled an entry level graphic card. (It had AMD Radeon HD 6300 graphics.) The combo motherboard costed me just Rs 4100 and together with RAM and 500 GB HDD the new rig costed me just around Rs 13k. I could do a lot of work on this LEPC than I ever was able to do on Pen 4. You could also use the same HDD and save another 3k or so.

Hence you might want to create an LEPC for now, until you can afford to have a modern PC. I reckon any such LEPC would be way better than your age old Pen 4, and way efficient in saving electricity too.

Read moar about my experience here: *www.digit.in/forum/pc-components-c...pc-7-years-d-help-needed-finalize-config.html

Top Bottom