Help me to choose PSU

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Which one should I choose?
1. Gaming Series™ GS800 — 80 PLUS® Certified Power Supply
or
2. CoolerMaster GX 750W?

I'm confused. I am planning to build a solid platform for PC game programming, video editing etc.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
1. Gaming Series™ GS800 — 80 PLUS® Certified Power Supply
Positives
*Great Built
*Upto 85% efficiency and that's great!
*Roughly "flawless" PSU in this range :thumbs:

Negatives
*None

Check out- Gaming Series GS800

2. CoolerMaster GX 750W
Positives
*Superb Voltage regulation
*over temperature protection
Negatives
*80 plus website doesn’t list this power supply :shock:
*Noise level at +3.3 V and +5VSB outputs were above the maximum allowed when pulled 600 W and above.

Check out- CM GX 750W

IMO you should have now have no doubt in selecting the better one.i.e. Corsair GS800. Its way better especially for hardcore gaming which you're gonna do :) :doublethumb:
In a lower price bracket, a better option than CM one would be Seventeam ST-750P-AF, but if money is not a concern, GS800 is the one for you.

BTW check out following links, they may be useful to you in selecting right PSU for you-
*PSU Watt Calculator By CM
*Another PSU Watt calculator

Last edited:
OP
d6bmg

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Thanks for the quick info sujay.

P.S. GS800 is avilable @ 6700/- whereas GX750W is @ 6400/-
So there is not much of difference between these two in terms of price.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Anytime buddy :)

Thanks for the quick info sujay.

P.S. GS800 is avilable @ 6700/- whereas GX750W is @ 6400/-
So there is not much of difference between these two in terms of price.

Then you should not even think about GX750, GS 800 is the way to go for :)

MegaMind

Human Spambot
PSU must be decided based on the system specs... So no point in asking about the PSU w/o a rig.. Also there are still better PSUs other than GX750 & GS 800 at the same price..

P.S : At all costs avoid cooler master GX & extreme power plus series.. If dont want to get ur PC burnt..

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
PSU must be decided based on the system specs... So no point in asking about the PSU w/o a rig.. Also there are still better PSUs other than GX750 & GS 800 at the same price..

P.S : At all costs avoid cooler master GX & extreme power plus series.. If dont want to get ur PC burnt..

I just gave my opinion on the basis of options and he gave, and i also gave the links of wat calculator to find out how much power his pc would be using. If he'd have tried and find results something to share, he must had told.
BTW Why are you againstCM GX & xtreme plus power series? Explain technically.

Last edited:

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Why are you againstCM GX & xtreme plus power series? Explain technically.

They dont have good build quality...

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600 W
If you pull more than 450 W from this product, it will offer real risk to your computer, plus it provides poor efficiency, between 69.2% and 77.6%.

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 550 W
Although some can see Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 550 W as an option if you are not going to pull 550 W from it, we can't recommend this unit, as it burns if you try to pull its rated wattage.

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 400 W
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 400 W is capable to deliver its labeled power at high temperatures. But as we always like to point out, maximum power isn’t everything. This unit presents lousy efficiency and noise and ripple levels above the maximum allowed, which can lead you computer to present random behavior (“freezing,” random resets, Blue Screen of Death, etc) and overload components. Therefore we can’t recommend this product.

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500 W
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500 W is the perfect example to explain why maximum power isn’t everything. This power supply can really deliver 500 W, but with efficiency above 80% only when you pull between 40% and 60% load (between 200 W and 300 W) and electrical noise level above the maximum allowed if you pull 80% load or more (i.e., starting at 400 W).
We can’t recommend this power supply, however if you are really on a budget this may be an option until you have money to buy a decent power supply for your PC.

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 460 W
Even though this power supply can’t deliver its labeled power, it isn’t a bad product for its price tag and targeted audience. Its real power is close to its labeled power (430 W) and its efficiency isn’t bad for a low-end product. Plus it has all its protections up and running, a thing sometimes hard to find on cheap power supplies.
In summary, the only real flaw from this product considering its price range is its wrong label; this power supply should be sold as a 430 W unit.

Also check why they are not recommending this unit..
Cooler Master GX 750 W
Cooler Master GX 750 W looks like a good option for users looking for a mainstream 750 W power supply, however it has a major flaw that prevents us from recommending it: noise level at +3.3 V and +5VSB outputs were above the maximum allowed when we pulled 600 W and above from this unit. High noise levels overload and can even damage components on your computer.....

.....Of course GX 750 W offers as advantages having four power cables for video cards and more SATA power connectors, but it is only safe to run this new Cooler Master unit up to 450 W.

An example of a good PSU, (not the newer ones)
Corsair VX450W
If we could summarize this power supply in just one word it would be “wow!.” You will bring home a relatively inexpensive power supply that even though is sold as being a 450 W unit can deliver up to 570 W at 48º C – in fact Corsair could have easily labeled this power supply as a 500 W unit, but they preferred to stay on the safe side. This model from Corsair brings an updated design with active PFC, higher efficiency, lower noise level and the ability to deliver far more than its labeled power

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
They dont have good build quality...

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600 W

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 550 W

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 400 W

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500 W

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 460 W

An example of a good PSU,

Corsair VX450W

Also check why they are not recommending this unit..
Cooler Master GX 750 W

Thnx, btw I had also given links from that site only ;)

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ I quoted about VX450. Newer VX450 are not reliable. You might see VX450 V2, judging by the fact that newer corsair V2 series are popping up. Don't misquote me :p.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^ I quoted about VX450. Newer VX450 are not reliable. You might see VX450 V2, judging by the fact that newer corsair V2 series are popping up. Don't misquote me :p.

:)
Was not misquoting you saar. Was just asking a genuine question. For obvious reasons you have considerable more knowledge about PSUs then me. So asked.
:)

OP
d6bmg

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
May be its too fast to decide, but after reading all the posts in this thread, it looks like for now, I should skip psu upgrade for my present system (core 2 duo) and wait untill sep-oct at least for new sandy-bridge E series processors to some out & then upgrade my whole 2 year old setup.

Top Bottom