Help me purchase a 65-inch Smart TV!

OP
powerstarprince

powerstarprince

In the zone
Thanks for all the input. I checked the rtings.com website and ordered the TV reviews from best to worst in mixed usage. Now, I got an idea of how to compare the TVs. From this list, I think the LG A2 would have been the best for the ₹80,000 it sold on Amazon sale. I don't see Sony X82L here, but I think it would have a rating of around 7.0 in mixed usage. It looks like Samsung Q60C and Q70C are better than Sony X75L, Sony X80K, LG QNED81 and LG QNED80.

I looked at the websites of Vijay Sales and Reliance Digital. I found a couple of older models at more than 50% discount. Samsung Q80A priced at ₹73,000 and Sony X85K at ₹77,000. These TVs look better for their value. There is an SBI card discount available only on a few TVs.

There are only two televisions priced at or below ₹60,000 inclusive of the card discount, Sony X75L and Samsung Q60C. Is the Samsung TV a better choice, according to rtings.com?

Should I fix this TV? Or should I buy something worth in the ₹70,000 range?

Thanks for all the input. I checked the rtings.com website and ordered the TV reviews from best to worst in mixed usage. Now, I got an idea of how to compare the TVs. From this list, I think the LG A2 would have been the best for the ₹80,000 it sold on Amazon sale. I don't see Sony X82L here, but I think it would have a rating of around 7.0 in mixed usage. It looks like Samsung Q60C and Q70C are better than Sony X75L, Sony X80K, LG QNED81 and LG QNED80.

I looked at the websites of Vijay Sales and Reliance Digital. I found a couple of older models at more than 50% discount. Samsung Q80A priced at ₹73,000 and Sony X85K at ₹77,000. These TVs look better for their value. There is an SBI card discount available only on a few TVs.

There are only two televisions priced at or below ₹60,000 inclusive of the card discount, Sony X75L and Samsung Q60C. Is the Samsung TV a better choice, according to rtings.com?

Should I fix this TV? Or should I buy something worth in the ₹70,000 range?
LG A2 has a major con in form of low brightness, so not suited for bright rooms. Else, it surely punches way above its league for the price.

Not sure of others, compare them in offline stores & take a call if they are worth the extra money over Sony X74L. X75L should be the same panel as X74L, I don't think Motion Flow XR100 vs 200 makes any difference. X80L might have a bit better panel, usually just a bit brighter panel with extra marketing goodies. It seems to have better mics for voice search, but price hike is too steep IMO. Just check how close X74K & X80K are at rtings.com.

Again, my recommendation will remain at X74L or go all in on proper FALD or OLED at 1 lakh. I am yet to check TVs locally recently, but I highly doubt stuff has changed much since 2021. Watch reviews by Vineet Malhotra & Techibeez. They are much worse than rtings.com but can get some info.

OP
powerstarprince

powerstarprince

In the zone
Are HDMI 2.1 ports needed in the long run? The Sony X75L has 3 of them, even though the panel is 50Hz. The Samsung Q60C has three HDMI 2.0 ports, a notable difference. I'm willing to purchase one of these entry-level TVs as they appropriately fall under my budget and are a good starting point.

Last edited:
Are HDMI 2.1 ports needed in the long run? The Sony X75L has 3 of them, even though the panel is 50Hz. The Samsung Q60C has three HDMI 2.0 ports, a notable difference. I'm willing to purchase one of these entry-level TVs as they appropriately fall under my budget and are a good starting point.
It is not true HDMI 2.1 48Gbps, just the old HDMI 2.0b which they conveniently renamed to HDMI 2.1 to confuse consumers. Since X74L doesn't have a 120Hz panel, there will never be a need for 48Gbps bandwidth needed to carry 4K 120Hz signal.

OP
powerstarprince

powerstarprince

In the zone
Finally, these are the prices for the two TVs I have decided to purchase.

Samsung Q60C at ₹62,000
Sony X82L at ₹65,000

Which TV is better? Both TVs are neck-to-neck, but I believe the Sony is a better TV overall. Should I buy the Sony or the Samsung?

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Do not buy any of these TVs without getting a demo. Watch some cricket or football to find out which one is handling better motion. Q60C is known to be bad in OLED segment.
Also compare, X74K/L vs X82L, because as omega said, its not worth spending extra for a minor upgrade.

Are you going to use external speakers? If no, then Sony have significantly better sound even in budget segment, Samsung LG is just ok or bad. If you are going to use external speakers, then your decision should be completely based on picture quality.

OP
powerstarprince

powerstarprince

In the zone
I will compare these two TVs side by side in the showroom. On YouTube, the Sony X82L wins over the Samsung Q60C.

I don't have external speakers. I might use them in the future.

The reason I want the X82L is for the better colours, Dolby Vision support and a few more enhancements in features and audio. I would purchase it for ₹65,000 or less.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
TCL 139 cm (55 inches) 4K Ultra HD Smart QD-Mini LED Google TV 55C755 (Black) *amzn.eu/d/0bx96po

@omega44-xt what do you think of this tv and also about TCL TVs as a brand in India?

TCL 139 cm (55 inches) 4K Ultra HD Smart QD-Mini LED Google TV 55C755 (Black) *amzn.eu/d/0bx96po

@omega44-xt what do you think of this tv and also about TCL TVs as a brand in India?
TCL brings their low quality stuff to India, ignore. That is my opinion. Also people have complained a lot about their QC issues & poor after sales, so I don't recommend its TVs at all, like blindly ignore it.

When Hisense U7K is sold in India for much cheaper, why consider that TCL? Sadly 55" U7K is OOS right now.

If they want to be serious about India, they need to bring the models sold in US to India.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
TCL brings their low quality stuff to India, ignore. That is my opinion. Also people have complained a lot about their QC issues & poor after sales, so I don't recommend its TVs at all, like blindly ignore it.

When Hisense U7K is sold in India for much cheaper, why consider that TCL? Sadly 55" U7K is OOS right now.

If they want to be serious about India, they need to bring the models sold in US to India.
Hey!
I demoed multiple brands recently. Sharing my thoughts. A high end model of a low end brand looked worse than an entry level model of a high end brand. Oled of a brand like hisense was worse looking than regular lcd/qned of LG Samsung. Anecdotal reviews of a few close friends recommending me to buy LG only as Sony Samsung TVs don't seem to last that long nowdays. Again this is highly debatable. I am also torn between a 65" TV and projector.

*www.lg.com/sg/tvs-soundbars/qned/65qned80sqa/

I really liked this one, took a demo. It was way better than LG led and slightly worse than LG OLED. IMO QNED is a sweet spot even when it is a gimmicky thingy.
Rtings has very bad review of this model though but I don't want to buy TCL / hisense models that come to India.
VS this one :

*www.whathifi.com/reviews/epson-eh-tw6250

Took a demo, no complaints except extra expenses like screen and mounts needed for it. Please share your thoughts.

Last edited:
OP
powerstarprince

powerstarprince

In the zone
I also saw the LG QNED81(2022) in a showroom, and the demo picture quality looked great. It looked better than the Sony and Samsung entry-level and lower mid-range series. I compared the brightness next to X82L and Q70C. But it has lower ratings on the rtings.com website. There are also complaints of edge backlit bleeding. I was offered the price of Rs 66,000 for this TV in 55 inches after bank discounts.

It seems Sony TV prices have increased. The lowest price for the Sony X82L is locked to Rs 71,000 with a few credit card discounts. I do not have one of those credit cards. The showroom manager offered an alternative deal to purchase with the credit card price and get a piece of free electronic equipment from the store for Rs 6,000. But the Samsung Q60C can be bought for Rs 59,000.

I compared the pictures for X82L and Q60C. The Sony TV has live colour technology and processes the colours differently. The Samsung TV produces more natural colours. I couldn't compare an 8K video at full 4K resolution on both TVs as the internet was slow. But I liked the Samsung colours here while the Sony is good for watching movies.

I like to buy the Samsung Q60C for its Pantone-validated colours and a lower price below Rs 60,000. How does Google TV (Android OS) on the Sony compare with Tizen OS on the Samsung? Which one of them would have long-term app support?

I also saw the LG QNED81(2022) in a showroom, and the demo picture quality looked great. It looked better than the Sony and Samsung entry-level and lower mid-range series. I compared the brightness next to X82L and Q70C. But it has lower ratings on the rtings.com website. There are also complaints of edge backlit bleeding. I was offered the price of Rs 66,000 for this TV in 55 inches after bank discounts.

It seems Sony TV prices have increased. The lowest price for the Sony X82L is locked to Rs 71,000 with a few credit card discounts. I do not have one of those credit cards. The showroom manager offered an alternative deal to purchase with the credit card price and get a piece of free electronic equipment from the store for Rs 6,000. But the Samsung Q60C can be bought for Rs 59,000.

I compared the pictures for X82L and Q60C. The Sony TV has live colour technology and processes the colours differently. The Samsung TV produces more natural colours. I couldn't compare an 8K video at full 4K resolution on both TVs as the internet was slow. But I liked the Samsung colours here while the Sony is good for watching movies.

I like to buy the Samsung Q60C for its Pantone-validated colours and a lower price below Rs 60,000. How does Google TV (Android OS) on the Sony compare with Tizen OS on the Samsung? Which one of them would have long-term app support?
Google TV is superior, no question, except the lags you might potentially face. Tizen & LG's UI are considered faster & have all the necessary apps for 99% of the population. You can invest 5k on Chromecast 4K later on to change the OS but can't change the panel. So keep panel quality as the deal breaker/maker.

OP
powerstarprince

powerstarprince

In the zone
I finally purchased the Samsung QN85C 55-inches TV for ₹84,000 over the Q60C priced at ₹59,000. I chose the FALD TV instead of the regular QLED. For the price difference of ₹25,000 I think it’s a good upgrade. There is a limited period price drop on Samsung upper midrange and premium televisions. I hope the TV is a good choice. Thanks for all the input.

I finally purchased the Samsung QN85C 55-inches TV for ₹84,000 over the Q60C priced at ₹59,000. I chose the FALD TV instead of the regular QLED. For the price difference of ₹25,000 I think it’s a good upgrade. There is a limited period price drop on Samsung upper midrange and premium televisions. I hope the TV is a good choice. Thanks for all the input.
Great choice, enjoy.

500 zones for 55" is good, shouldn't be able to count zones easily & result in a good true HDR experience. I wish I had space in my room for a 55" TV, this seems like a solid option for a gaming TV for its price. I'm considering LG C3 42" because of smaller size, not sure when I will make the purchase though.

OP
powerstarprince

powerstarprince

In the zone
A few days after I watched content on my new television, I noticed a subtle grid on the left side in solid colours or bright scenes such as the sky. I googled it and found that it is common in FALD TVs. I called the Samsung technician home to verify the artefact. He said the panel was perfect, and there was no issue. But are these common in most of the Samsung high-end models? Is it because of bad quality control checks from Samsung, or would it have been caused during transit or installation? What is the chance of receiving a perfect panel?

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I am reading first time about it. Is it bothering you?
Run some screen test for FALD TVs from Youtube. If the grid is significantly visible, then try to record it/take snapshot and send it to Samsung's customer care. Let's check what they have to say about this.
Now that you mention it, it does look like its common issue on online forums!! I am shocked that no one talks about it enough.

OP
powerstarprince

powerstarprince

In the zone
Great choice, enjoy.

500 zones for 55" is good, shouldn't be able to count zones easily & result in a good true HDR experience. I wish I had space in my room for a 55" TV, this seems like a solid option for a gaming TV for its price. I'm considering LG C3 42" because of smaller size, not sure when I will make the purchase though.
I think the Samsung QN90C 50-inch TV is a great choice for gaming. It comes with a VA panel and a 144Hz refresh rate. It has been discounted lately and is available for less than ₹70,000 including bank offers.

OP
powerstarprince

powerstarprince

In the zone
I am reading first time about it. Is it bothering you?
Run some screen test for FALD TVs from Youtube. If the grid is significantly visible, then try to record it/take snapshot and send it to Samsung's customer care. Let's check what they have to say about this.
Now that you mention it, it does look like its common issue on online forums!! I am shocked that no one talks about it enough.
The grid is only visible in bright solid colours and scenes such as the sky or underwater. It bothers me sometimes when I watch these shots. Otherwise, it's hidden in the rest of the content.

The Samsung technician asked me not to look at it and enjoy the picture instead. It seems Samsung doesn't consider DSE issues as a panel defect. The panel is close to perfect except for this subtle visible grid.

I had also not heard of this before until I observed it on my TV. I searched for it and found that it is more common in larger TVs and about 40 per cent of the models. It is more common in Samsung TVs due to their thin bezels and bad quality control. Some people have found the grid in almost every TV in varying amounts. It is possible to get one without the grid. But that would need a lot of luck.

There are refund and return policies in America and Europe. So, people can try again and test their luck even though it is a double-edged sword. There are no such policies available in Asia and Africa.

Top Bottom