Help for Playstation 2 problem!!!

sa_still_rocks

SA ~San Andreas
Well guys I dont exactly know if this goes in the hardware section so maybe its off topic...

But the problem is I recently got a second hand PS2 from US and unfortunately, I later realised that the power supply there(120V,60hz) and here/India(220V,50 hz) is different....
I was wondering if there are any suggestions except the obvious one of selling it and buying a new one again in India..

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
I think, powerbrick will take care of stepping the volts up and down. All you need is a plug converter. And, you are good to go.

gameranand

Living to Play
@OP
Yeah Vamsi is right. You just need a plug converter or say a electronic device to change the power. It is easily available in electronics stores maybe not in all of em but many of them sell them. Many people do what you did and run their console using that.

OP
S

sa_still_rocks

SA ~San Andreas
Hey, i tried using just a plug converter/adapter, but it didnt work.

So, i guess the next option is getting a power convertor/power brick...

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder why would a plug-converter work? cuz the mains is still at 220V/50Hz you see. :|

What you need is the Indian power adapter for PS2 if something like that exists.

This: eBay India: New Power Adapter adaptor for PS2 ,Playstation 2 ,8.5V

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
^ There is a powerbrick bundled for all the ps2 builds.. except the latest.(which will adjust the volts for itself.)Unless.. OP is using the 9xxx version of PS2, he should have the brick which you gave the link for.

Sarath

iDota
Pls check the rated wattage of the PS2 and the converter in case you are using a 220v to 110v converter.

Or you can just buy a new adapter for PS2 from an indian store (sony or others)

OP
S

sa_still_rocks

SA ~San Andreas
I dont exactly know the build... Be model no. is but the model no. is SCPH 50001/N.
And ico is right to say that the power still remains 220v 50 hz.

Either way, I found my answer in three simple words - Step Down Transformer...:)
An adapter to convert 220V to 110V, and I have found such a device at a local electronics shop.
Only problem, its a ripoff at Rs. 850.. when I got the PS2 itself for 50$+accesories...
I will search a bit more and decide on one of such devices..
Thanks everyone. :)

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Yes. For 5xxx models, You will be definitely be needing a step down transformer. Because fat variants of ps2 has no external transformer to adjust the volts that they pump into ps2. Fat models have a internal transformer who's volts are set according to the region code. But, if you had gotten a Slim ps2 which will have a powerbrick.. the external powerbrick will act like a step up/down thing maneuvering the volts that it is reeving from the power socket.

Top Bottom