Help 4 setting up New HDD and DVD ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi Mates,
Today I bought Seagate Barracuda 80 GB +7200 RPM HDD [for Rs. 2900] and a Liteon DVD-ROM 16x Drive [for Rs. 1750 >Black].
I already have a 40 GB + 5400 RPM Seagate baaracuda HDD, LG CD-ROM Drive 52x and Samsung CD-ReWriter 40x-12x-40x. I have Intel 815e Motherboard with 1GHz celeron Processor. Runnning XP. Let me know how should i Connect the DVD ROM and HDD For Max Performance!!

--
Thx in adv.!!

:)

JAK

What the Heck !
Thor said:
Hi Mates,
Today I bought Seagate Barracuda 80 GB +7200 RPM HDD [for Rs. 2900] and a Liteon DVD-ROM 16x Drive [for Rs. 1750 >Black].
I already have a 40 GB + 5400 RPM Seagate baaracuda HDD, LG CD-ROM Drive 52x and Samsung CD-ReWriter 40x-12x-40x. I have Intel 815e Motherboard with 1GHz celeron Processor. Runnning XP. Let me know how should i Connect the DVD ROM and HDD For Max Performance!!

--
Thx in adv.!!

:)

Hmm...

Well i wud suggest that u connect them as follows

Pri. Master = 80GB HDD
Pri. Slave = 40GB HDD

Sec. Master = CDRW
Sec. Slave = DVD ROM

Since u also has a CDROM.. i dont think u'll be able to use it since u'll hav only 2 IDE channels.so u will hav to ditch the CDROM drive... :wink:

practically there is no performance difference btween master/slave so u cud switch the CDRW and DVD ROM positions unless ur CDRW faces some probs gettin detected

Its nice to be back.... :wink:

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
i would recomend
pri master 80gb
pri slave DVD
sec master cd
sec slave 40 Gb
why?
better throughput while copying CD on the fly, better IDE channel utilisation by the HDDs

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
pradeep_chauhan said:
i would recomend
pri master 80gb
pri slave DVD
sec master cd
sec slave 40 Gb

would using a 80 conductor ide cable for this config give udma 5/6 for the hard disks and keep udma 2 for dvd/cd ? or would they all work under udma 2 ?

superwiz

Broken In
pradeep_chauhan said:
i would recomend
pri master 80gb
pri slave DVD
sec master cd
sec slave 40 Gb
why?
better throughput while copying CD on the fly, better IDE channel utilisation by the HDDs

Hard Disk and ATAPI Device Channel Sharing: There are several reasons why optical drives (or other ATAPI devices) should not be shared on the same channel as a fast hard disk. ATAPI allows the use of the same physical channels as IDE/ATA, but it is not the same protocol; ATAPI uses a much more complicated command structure. Opticals are also generally much slower devices than hard disks, so they can slow a hard disk down when sharing a channel. Finally, some ATAPI devices cannot deal with DMA bus mastering drivers, and will cause a problem if you try to enable bus mastering for a hard disk on a channel they are using.

More information read this
*www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/conf_Performance.htm

Well this make me change my setting to all optical drivers on secondary IDE channel, unlike what u hav mentioned :lol:

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
See the daye of the site
The PC Guide (*www.PCGuide.com)
Site Version: 2.2.0 - Version Date: April 17, 2001
© Copyright 1997-2004 Charles M. Kozierok. All Rights Reserved.

thats history, use the setting i suggest and use a utilit like hdtack to do a throughput test you will see what i mean.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
pradeep_chauhan said:
i use a similar setting and use a 80 con cable on both ide channels and get ultra dma 5 on both hdd and a pio for the opti drives

- how have u physically connected the 80 con cable to both drives . normal way would be

blue -> m/b , grey -> optical , black -> hdd right ?

my cable isnt that long and hdd and cdrom too far apart so i had to reverse it

blue -> dvd , grey -> hdd , black -> m/b .

and with this i get the 80 conductor missing error even with an 80 con cable
plus hdd works only in udma 2 setting .
i am unable to use ide controller 1 koz drives connected to it keeps disappearing so i have only ide controller 2 to attach both drives and i want hdd to work with udma 5 .

- if i get a pci ide controller , would i still be able to boot normally with a bootable cd by the boot sequence in bios ? or will the cdrom detect only after i load the os

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
see the red wire or the narked side this is the pin one aline this to the pin one on the mobo and on the drive side it is towards the power socket also one pin in the connector is blocked i hope the insertion is right. The connector i use is from a compac m/c and i have an ibox cabinet where the wire length is fitting ok.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
ide connectors are keyed connectors . it works fine except i cant get udma 5 when i use it with a drive on same cable , if it is connected without a drive i get udma 5 . anyways any idea on how much pci ide controller costs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom