HDDs failing lately

saz

Journeyman
Hi,

I am facing issues with my HDDs lately. Recently, my 1TB WD is showing bad sectors. Earlier I had a couple of segate 500GB HDDs failed with SMART errors. Another issue is that I have 4GB of DDR3 installed, but bios says 2032MB of RAM all this happened in last 6 months...and not to mention 2 external HDDs also slowed down drastically. This is after I upgraded my Motherboard, Powersupply (both second hand via a forum) and a new procci.

Below is my full config:
FX8320, Asus 990Fx R2.0, Corsair 2X2GB RAM, HD6870, Corsair 650HX, quite old worthless UPS.

What could be the reason behind all these failures? Could it be Motherboard? Power supply? bad UPS? or just bad luck?

RBX

In the zone
I believe bad power supply is the cause of most HDD failures. Also, I think the drives which showed SMART failure errors must've been quite old; all of my HDDs which had SMART failure had been on power for more than average.

Use your external HDDs with another computer (and different USB cable) to make sure that the drives themselves aren't faulty. Also, go to your device properties and select 'Better Performance' removal policy.
*i.imgur.com/XhEa6Vi.png
If all this doesn't work, try stopping 'Background Intelligent Transfer Service' and test the drives again.

For your RAM issue, see if your BIOS version is latest and look at this article OverClocked inside - Redaktion ocinside.de PC hardware page
Seek analogous options in your BIOS.

Top Bottom