hdd warning message at bios

abhijeet2021

Broken In
Hi

got a 1tb green wd sata internal hardisk. Now for a few days am getting bios warnings that its got some error on every boot. I got around 900gb of data already on it and got no means to backup the data. Also i noticed it is detected as ide in windows 7. My bios got AHCI enabled for sata controller. Is there a way to repair the hdd without formatting it as am sure full hdd formatting can fix the issue. Already defraged and checkdisked all came positive. I can access its data but dunno what is causing this messages.

system spec
core i3 2nd gen 2100k
intel motherboard series 6 DH61WW
got another 500gb hdd from wd green which is also full.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
windows chkdsk can't find bad sectors sometime - so it's better to use some 3rd party HDD tool like HDTune - scan your HDD for bad sectors , Smart Value with this and post the results.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@abhijeet2021: buddy your HDD will crash any time now...so I suggest u manage the backup process somehow to avoid huge data loss (900GB)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yep, just backup the important data and if possible erase all the sensitive data on HDD with appropriate software and claim for RMA.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
WD picks up HDD from customers or After contacting WD customers are told to deposit the HDD on their selected courier service office - for more details contact WD

this link below might be a bit helpful to you :
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/service-rma-watch/133227-rma-experience-thread-4.html

look at the posts by jerrin_ss5

insaneYLN

In the zone
abhijeet2021, how old is your 1TB Western Digital hard drive?

If it is a relatively new drive, then what could be the cause(s) for it going "bad"?

Last edited:
OP
A

abhijeet2021

Broken In
its not even a year i have now done an rma with wd they said they gonna pickup on 17th nov. I checked my hdd status on the website and it says its got 3 years warrenty left. I dunno what caused the issue but my hdd usually run 24 *7 for downloads am a big series fan :) and sometimes windows tend to crash. I already used the wd tools to zero my hdd still i get smart signs that its gonna crash soon. Already backed up data on a friends 1tb external

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another WD drive gone kaput. I would have lost faith in this brand by now, but for their minimum hassles RMA. Recently lost a WD 500gb Black RE at my office PC. The darn HDD won't even power up. :(

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
When a HDD goes bad after only 700Hrs of use, then it is badly manufactured. May be his HDD is an exception, or it's the problem of manufactures (i.e. WD). The second case is a bit more concerning.

OP
A

abhijeet2021

Broken In
well filed a rma with wd on friday they picked up the hdd on saturday on monday they confirmed they got the hdd. now today they emailed they have already.dispatched.a new model of hdd via courier. waiting for the new hdd to arrive now. P

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ wow - that's an excellent example of good RMA service - congrats in advance.

BTW, where do you live ??

OP
A

abhijeet2021

Broken In
i live in mumbai and
Ya it was green they are now sending me model WD10EARS-003BB1 earlier it was WD10EARS-00MVWB0

i live in mumbai and
Ya it was green they are now sending me model WD10EARS-003BB1 earlier it was WD10EARS-00MVWB0

Update: Just now received the new hdd properly packed. Good rma service :razz:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like they have upgraded the firmware again. At least WD's service is superb as usual, even in these times. Congrats Abhijeet.

OP
A

abhijeet2021

Broken In
ya even in these time they are replacing hdd within 4 days. Now this is what creates brand loyalty. Every electronic device is bound to get wrong due to 100s of reason but its the manufacturer responsibly to honor the warranty on time and at the earliest. WD has proven that as an excellant example of good support and that too when people are facing worldwide shortage of hdds.

Top Bottom