HDD Problem

Pra1971

Right off the assembly line
I have a 80 GB and a 40 GB HDD on a Mercury 845GV Motherboard with 1 GB (512 x 2) Hynix RAM. Recently I installed the trial version of "AutoRun Pro Enterprise II" and after a week uninstalled it and restarted my PC and my HDD partions show up as CDROM. I can access the partitions by double click to open, but would like to get back the HDD icons and names. I have named the partitions as WinXpsp3 C:, Docs D:, Dump E:, AV F:, Images G: and Misc H:. How to do it ?
*img834.imageshack.us/img834/8972/driveerror.jpg

Last edited:

khmadhu

change is constant!!
check if there is any autorun.inf file(hidden) in each drive.. and delete it.. see if it changes..

if not u can change icons in folder options (file types tab). replace the current icon with drive one.

OP
P

Pra1971

check if there is any autorun.inf file(hidden) in each drive.. and delete it.. see if it changes..

if not u can change icons in folder options (file types tab). replace the current icon with drive one.
No autorun.inf file in any drive, checked that and also scanned with malwarebytes antimalware. Icon in file types is also ok. One more problem has come up, now when i double click on any partition it does not open up, but when i right click and then choose open it does.
*a.imageshack.us/img14/7782/filetype.jpg

Last edited:

khmadhu

change is constant!!
autorun.inf file will be system hidden (check once again..)

open cmd

c:\> attrib -r -s -h autorun.inf
c:\> del autorun.inf

repeat for all the drives &
restart the pc

or in simple way try this

1Open Start >> Run and type regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
2. press ok
3. You will see a message DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in shell32.dll succeeded

OP
P

Pra1971

autorun.inf file will be system hidden (check once again..)

open cmd

c:\> attrib -r -s -h autorun.inf
c:\> del autorun.inf

repeat for all the drives &
restart the pc

or in simple way try this

1Open Start >> Run and type regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
2. press ok
3. You will see a message DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in shell32.dll succeeded
Thank you the "regsvr32 /i shell32.dll" now allows the drives to open on double click but the icon problem still persists even after restart. And "autorun.inf" file still not seen in any drive.