HD6950 vs 560Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
i differ. first read this -

FAQ: Acceptable Temperatures for Graphics Cards - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

and you forgot rchi's stock cooled gigabyte 6950 runs at 61c at 880mhz in crysis 2 load. and i think sapphire cooler is better. skud should have adjusted fan profile.

this implies we can easily overclock sapphire 6950 1gb.

i will do it with some adjustments and post my progress here.

and yes i too use a GS600. it will do fine. vfm psu.
get both from smcinternational.in

Ofcourse you can but temps always need to be monitored. Actually its true that thermal limits of a gpu are higher these days but still its wise to keep them at check in the long run. Why unnecessary overclock when stock performance is fine.
In a transistor level, the only thing that can deteriorate a chip overtime is heat.

The gigabyte card also gets hot and in fact all stock 6950's does. Check this.

It does get hot, i mean its in the top list in the degree of hotness. But its totally upto you regarding how hard you're gonna push it and how temps matter. Its a personal thing. But for a single gpu, anything greater than 85c is hot and should not be pushed beyond that. In that review, overclocked gigabyte 6950 was reaching overclocked 580 sli's temps. Now that's what i call hot.

But jas you need to rest assure cause you have the sapphire card and it does not use a stock cooler. Got this and the temps look fine to me. I wonder how skud got such high temps??

So no probs for you.:smile:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Batman they might not have adjusted fan profile. How come rchis oced stock 6950 ran at 61 ;-)

90c is fine.

And thanks for sapphire link :)

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Batman they might not have adjusted fan profile. How come rchis oced stock 6950 ran at 61 ;-)

90c is fine.

And thanks for sapphire link :)

Without adjusting any fan profile i am getting idle-36 and Load-55 in my MSI N560TiGtx TF II/OC.Hawk will be much lower.I don't agree about 90 degree is fine.Nvidia has advantage over ATi in heat generation.

In long run the card with lower heat dissipation will last more

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Without adjusting any fan profile i am getting idle-36 and Load-55 in my MSI N560TiGtx TF II/OC.Hawk will be much lower.I don't agree about 90 degree is fine.Nvidia has advantage over ATi in heat generation.

In long run the card with lower heat dissipation will last more

nvidia is not cooler :-D
its the tf2 which is cool.
Check 560 stock cooler temps in anandtech etc.

And read the link i put. Its from OCN. They i think know better than u and me.

About longitivity, afaik rajan1311's 4850 runs upto 100c sometime, from past so much time. :-D
Gpu can withstand heat. Its not a cpug

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Reference gtx 560-ti is 9-10c cooler than reference 6950. Check here.

The ocn link you provided is from their forum and not website. It should be taken with a pinch of salt. Over 90c is very high and may damage the gpu core in the long run. When temps increase, so does the collector current in a transistor. A rise in collector current with heat increase will allow the chip to reach its threshhold early.

In semiconductors

So the gpu has a high probability of getting fried. Same happened with my 8600gt. Temps were always past 85c and one day, it got fried. Took it to authorized service centre and they said gpu core is damaged.

High temps was the only culprit in my case. So better be safe than sorry. If the card does not have overheat protection in its circuitry, then it might get fried as well.

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Chech anandtech bench. Its 5c cooler than reference 6950. Temps vary.

Please i need some solid proof and not just saying pinch of salt. What will they get in putting up that temp info.

And gpu core might have damaged due to other reason. Whats the proof temp was cause? Gtx480 ran upto 95c and nvidia told it was fine. I mentioned example of our member too.

Tenida

Gadget Freak
^^Don't compare old generation gpu with current genaration Gpu.Newer generation Nvidia Gpu is cooler than newer generation Ati amd gpu anyday.You don't have to look for the reviews for any prof.Its solid fact.

Can you say what is other reason that might damaged Gpu?

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Chech anandtech bench. Its 5c cooler than reference 6950. Temps vary.

Please i need some solid proof and not just saying pinch of salt. What will they get in putting up that temp info.

And gpu core might have damaged due to other reason. Whats the proof temp was cause? Gtx480 ran upto 95c and nvidia told it was fine. I mentioned example of our member too.

Not damaged but was fried. Most users had their 8600gt's damaged due to overheating. The engineer examined the gpu core and gave this conclusion. There were black spots on the die.

Sure temps vary. But that is not the point here. Point is higher temps in the long run damage the gpu. If 90c temps are fine, then why would reviewers even bother to include a temperature testing page in their reviews.

Remember they review cards & pass judgement & not play on it at higher temps in the long run unlike actual users. You don't expect to play on a lets say a stock 6950 or a stock gtx 560-ti by overclocking to 950+ mhz with temps shooting past 90c all the time in the long run believing the chip to handle it. This is why you see twin frozr's and toxics.

Overclocking potential of a GPU is inversely proportional to temperature.

It will go kaput without warning. Reviewers just test the ocing potential of a card and they don't encourage users to push their cards to limits & the only reason why is higher temps. It will degrade the gpu in the long run leading to irepairable damage.

Just simple semiconductor physics that applies everywhere including cpu and gpu.

About solid-proof, you should ask those guys there to give some links to back their comments.:wink:

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Yes , XFX 8600gt's were referred as "electric stove edition" owing to its heating issues.:smile:

Tenida

Gadget Freak
If heating is not not issue in Gpu and Cpu also.Why every manufacture using custom Heatsink to cool the particular gpu.Why TF III is implemented over TFII because for further overclocking and better architecture heatsink to cool GTx560Ti,6950,Gtx580 gpu.In cpu also why we are using heatsink like noctua or coolermaster?Why stock heatsink is not used for overclocking?If we used stock cooler in for Overclock over 3-4GHz it will die immediately.

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^^Don't compare old generation gpu with current genaration Gpu.Newer generation Nvidia Gpu is cooler than newer generation Ati amd gpu anyday.You don't have to look for the reviews for any prof.Its solid fact.

Can you say what is other reason that might damaged Gpu?

first of all i am not comparing any old gpu with new.

and about highlighted statement i feel like hitting my head on wall.

check this for comparison of reference coolers -
AnandTech - NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 560 Ti: Upsetting The $250 Market

and for TFIII -
MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition OC review

as i mentioned its TFII and TFIII which is cooler. not nvidia reference.

Not damaged but was fried. Most users had their 8600gt's damaged due to overheating. The engineer examined the gpu core and gave this conclusion. There were black spots on the die.

Sure temps vary. But that is not the point here. Point is higher temps in the long run damage the gpu. If 90c temps are fine, then why would reviewers even bother to include a temperature testing page in their reviews.

Remember they review cards & pass judgement & not play on it at higher temps in the long run unlike actual users. You don't expect to play on a lets say a stock 6950 or a stock gtx 560-ti by overclocking to 950+ mhz with temps shooting past 90c all the time in the long run believing the chip to handle it. This is why you see twin frozr's and toxics.

Overclocking potential of a GPU is inversely proportional to temperature.

It will go kaput without warning. Reviewers just test the ocing potential of a card and they don't encourage users to push their cards to limits & the only reason why is higher temps. It will degrade the gpu in the long run leading to irepairable damage.

Just simple semiconductor physics that applies everywhere including cpu and gpu.

About solid-proof, you should ask those guys there to give some links to back their comments.:wink:

it was 8600gt.

why should i ask those ocn people. you didnt believe. ask yourselves buddy.

If heating is not not issue in Gpu and Cpu also.Why every manufacture using custom Heatsink to cool the particular gpu.Why TF III is implemented over TFII because for further overclocking and better architecture heatsink to cool GTx560Ti,6950,Gtx580 gpu.In cpu also why we are using heatsink like noctua or coolermaster?Why stock heatsink is not used for overclocking?If we used stock cooler in for Overclock over 3-4GHz it will die immediately.

arrey yaar read things carefully. they told those temps are fine. they dont say cool temps are not welcome.

My video card is running at XX degrees Celcius! Is this bad?!
Not at all. Graphics cards these days are rated to around 100C! For instance, people who fold or game heavily could see their GPU(s) reach upwards of 90C. This is normal, they can withstand the heat - it's like apples and oranges compared to CPUs, where 75C is the danger-zone these days. Don't panic!

I'm still really uncomfortable running my card(s) over XX Celcius!
If you're really worried about temps over say 65-70C, you could turn your fan up to 100% on your card. If that still isn't good enough, well, you could always watercool it or buy an aftermarket cooler.

When should I be worried about temperatures?
Most would tell you about 105C is the point-of-no-return. Realistically though, for everyday use, you should not exceed 95-98C for extended periods of time.

How can I monitor my temperature on my GPU(s)?
You could use apps such as CPUID's HWMonitor, and in addition you could use eVGA Precision to monitor your temps as well.

Keep in mind though, these chips ARE rated to run at these temperatures!
If you're running below 90C the majority of the time, don't panic!

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ How did you know they were ocn guys? It was a moderator who posted that and it was no where written that he was an ocn guy. It wasn't even an ocn article.

Ofcourse tech improves but in terms of fabrication. 8600gt had 90nm fabrication and 6950 has 40nm. Therefore transistor count of 6950 is far higher than 8600gt which allows it to perform exponentially better and keeping heat generation at similar or lower levels.

But semiconductor rules are always the same. A 6950 @ 90c + has similar chance to go kaput as a 8600gt at similar temperature. No technology benefits here. :wink:

MegaMind

Human Spambot
But semiconductor rules are always the same. A 6950 @ 90c + has similar chance to go kaput as a 8600gt at similar temperature. No technology benefits here. :wink:

Thats a valid point... Also guys, the 560ti TFII is avail for 10.8K, its a no brainer over the 6950...

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^^ How did you know they were ocn guys? It was a moderator who posted that and it was no where written that he was an ocn guy. It wasn't even an ocn article.

Ofcourse tech improves but in terms of fabrication. 8600gt had 90nm fabrication and 6950 has 40nm. Therefore transistor count of 6950 is far higher than 8600gt which allows it to perform exponentially better and keeping heat generation at similar or lower levels.

ocn is a forum only i think. :wink:

GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card Overclocked - Temperature Test :: TweakTown USA Edition
oh, that was a 970mhz oced and overvolted gigabyte. and still its stable at 91c. its fine.
they haven't mentioned any fan profile settings.
look at sapphire hd6950 2gb. its 70c.

how come rajan's 4850 runs stable at 100c too then? :wink:
how come GTX480 and GTX470 ran stable at 98c too? :wink:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
ocn is a forum only i think. :wink:

GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card Overclocked - Temperature Test :: TweakTown USA Edition
oh, that was a 970mhz oced and overvolted gigabyte. and still its stable at 91c. its fine.
they haven't mentioned any fan profile settings.
look at sapphire hd6950 2gb. its 70c.

how come rajan's 4850 runs stable at 100c too then? :wink:
how come GTX480 and GTX470 ran stable at 98c too? :wink:

Well i didn't speak about a 6950 only right? It applies to all gpus. 6950 came into picture because a reference 6950 runs comparatively hot. Oc a stock 6950 to 970mhz including overvolting at let it run past 90c+. It will run but for how long, is not known.
Warranty gets void if your gpu is fried due to heat.

Again those are reviewers and don't run the card at those temps for long unlike users. They commented about the card being hot. Ofcourse you can adjust fan profiles to bring down heat and you need to do it when overclocking.

At high temps, the card will run stable but longevity comes down and it can fry anytime without warning. Better to stay safe than sorry. That's the whole point.

Sapphire 6950 @ 70c is fine. Don't know about rajan but i guess he has packed his pc. 480's were hot no doubt. That's why nvidia had to redesign the reference cooler for 580. 470 was not hot as 480 afaik.

90+ temps are no where near fine. But if a user doesn't pay heed , then he or she is responsible in the end for the inevitable outcome.:neutral:

Check out some user comments on 4850.- source

This discussion is particularly interesting. Very similar to our discussion.:razz: Read it, its good.

Last edited:

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
while experts are already giving you suggestion for Graphic card, i think upgrading CPU will be good along with that 560ti ..

my own experiences says that core2duo e7200 will bottleneck even a HD 5770.. although E8400 is more powerful, but still i doubt it.. IMO

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Well i didn't speak about a 6950 only right? It applies to all gpus. 6950 came into picture because a reference 6950 runs comparatively hot. Oc a stock 6950 to 970mhz including overvolting at let it run past 90c+. It will run but for how long, is not known.
Warranty gets void if your gpu is fried due to heat.

Again those are reviewers and don't run the card at those temps for long unlike users. They commented about the card being hot. Ofcourse you can adjust fan profiles to bring down heat and you need to do it when overclocking.

you yourselves mentioned the solution. adjust profile.
I'm still really uncomfortable running my card(s) over XX Celcius!
If you're really worried about temps over say 65-70C, you could turn your fan up to 100% on your card.

they said and they are users.

Sapphire 6950 @ 70c is fine. Don't know about rajan but i guess he has packed his pc. 480's were hot no doubt. That's why nvidia had to redesign the reference cooler for 580. 470 was not hot as 480 afaik.

rajan ran his pc before. it ran fine.

and when nvidia released 480 and 470 it said it can run at those temps. its designed to do so. newer gpus can withstand heat.

about 470 temps -
AnandTech - NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 480 and GTX 470: 6 Months Late, Was It Worth the Wait?

Check out some user comments on 4850.- source

thats what they say -

4850 runs hot... it's fine my old 4850 could easialy get to 99°C in-game fan 90~100% (yes there was a problem with that card), I used it for a year and the card was still alive..

Anything up to 90c on modern cards is fine

Things don't go wrong at 110C but that is hot. I know Nvidia cards will run fine upto 125C but Nvidia says don't let it go past 110C.
(but dont you think 110c sounds too much. :grin:)

88c in game is fine, in fact i would say its really good. My 4850 idles at 75/80c and plays at roughly 105c which is fine. ATI cards are known to be able to handle the heat

This discussion is particularly interesting. Very similar to our discussion.:razz: Read it, its good.

they say same thing.

this is nice -
My own HD4850 hit 102 and I wanted to use it till it burned out and then get a GTX460.But that card performed brilliantly for 2 years and GOD bless it-no sign of burning till now!! I got the GTX 460 aand continue using the HD4850 on my second PC and it still games furiously-no slowdowns,no shutdowns/freezes/artifacts.recently I gave it the treatment it deserves- a thorough dusting and a fresh coat of CM Thermalfusion 400(and cursed myself for being so cold-hearted towards it ).Now it barely reaches 85 on load, so I suggest you do the same.

thanks for links buddy. :wink:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ You are most welcome.:smile:

I think op here can go for msi gtx 560-ti twin frozr II @ 10.7K instead of a 6870. What say?

@ jetboy

Have a look here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom