HD5850 color/stripes freeze

win32.tr0jan

Journeyman
After almost two months and a faulty replacement, I got HD5850 as warranty replacement for my HD5670. So much for the free upgrade, now I am getting stripes ( black thin lines in dark green or light brown ) or plain color (Light brown) while playing or in idle at random times. I tried

1. Clean and reinstall drivers.
2. Upgraded bios from techpowerup.

Still it happens. I haven't OCed anything. I read that the 5xxx series has this voltage issue. Anybody know how to fix this thing?

I have read in sites that 5xxx series has power management issues, like switching from 3D application to 2D the power saving mode lowers the voltage below 0.7V which causes this. But I am not able to change the voltage settings through MSI Ab or ATi Tray tools.

> Check if same distortions appear when with with other PC.

> Check "Unlock voltage control" in afterburner to control voltage.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
5850 is a power hungry card. your local psu may be failing to provide the required power for the system. i suggest to check the gpu with a branded power supply. you have to buy one for sure for ensuring the security for your complete system.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ +1 to that - Umax 600W PSU is the root of all troubles.

@ OP - are getting color/stripes freeze at random times [ not always ] ? Try with a linux distro and play some games on it but first of all get a better psu.

OP
win32.tr0jan

win32.tr0jan

Journeyman
> Check if same distortions appear when with with other PC.

> Check "Unlock voltage control" in afterburner to control voltage.

Yea, I am planning to check it with CM Thunder 600W today. I did check the "unlock voltage control" in MSI ab in settings, but still I can't change it.

5850 is a power hungry card. your local psu may be failing to provide the required power for the system. i suggest to check the gpu with a branded power supply. you have to buy one for sure for ensuring the security for your complete system.

I think so too. HD5850 needs 2xPCI-e 6 pin connectors. Umax has only 2x4 pin molex left, so I used this converter:
molex_pci-e.jpg

Sine I need to power 2 6 pins, I connected only 1 4pin to the converter's other end. Maybe that's the problem. Will check it today and will post back.

^ +1 to that - Umax 600W PSU is the root of all troubles.

@ OP - are getting color/stripes freeze at random times [ not always ] ? Try with a linux distro and play some games on it but first of all get a better psu.

Yea random times, only while gaming. If you aren't using any heavy things (PS and AI seemed to be fine) the display is fine and smooth.

Yea, if it works well on CM, then I will buy that. Thanks a lot guys.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
do the checking but don't plan to buy the Thunder 600 for yourself ;) .. instead get Seasonic S12II 520w.

OP
win32.tr0jan

win32.tr0jan

Journeyman
do the checking but don't plan to buy the Thunder 600 for yourself ;) .. instead get Seasonic S12II 520w.

I am not that good with electronics :D but will 520W be enough for my righ *if* it was a PSU problem? And Seasonic has only 1 PCI-e 6 pin connector...

OP
win32.tr0jan

win32.tr0jan

Journeyman
Guys, no worries :D the problem is with the card. In CM Thunder too its giving this
IMG-20131003-WA0000.jpg

And the xfx support is just behaving like an autoresponder "Please take it to the reseller and request for RMA. We are sorry for the inconvenience. ". Guess what? this is the second faulty replacement they are giving me :/

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
upload pics in imgur like websites. unable to see the attachments. any way get good psu like seasonic s12 ii 520 asasp.

I am not that good with electronics :D but will 520W be enough for my righ *if* it was a PSU problem? And Seasonic has only 1 PCI-e 6 pin connector...

definitely.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys, no worries :D the problem is with the card. In CM Thunder too its giving this
View attachment 12340

And the xfx support is just behaving like an autoresponder "Please take it to the reseller and request for RMA. We are sorry for the inconvenience. ". Guess what? this is the second faulty replacement they are giving me :/

hmm, even I suspected it to be a XFX gpu .. had to rma one of mine for 5 times though every time I got replacement the same issue showed up anyway, just to make sure test the card on one of your friend's pc.

OP
win32.tr0jan

win32.tr0jan

Journeyman
hmm, even I suspected it to be a XFX gpu .. had to rma one of mine for 5 times though every time I got replacement the same issue showed up anyway, just to make sure test the card on one of your friend's pc.

Yea, I tested it on another pc. Same issue. Need to take it to the reseller today. Its the delay they take for replacing almost 2 months!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can directory deal with Rashi [ if it's the distributor of the card ] but a replacement is not guaranteed ;) and Rashi have their own share of bad records regarding XFX gpu RMA.

Top Bottom