Has PS3 lost the console war!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pratyush

Broken In
It seems that the seventh generation of console wars has been lost out by SONY as they are still struggling with their newest console, PS3. And with the resignation of Ken Kutaragi, the mastermind who created the playstation, it fuels the chances of Sony losing this console war. Till now, wii has outcasted Sony in every region and Sony is still struggling with technical faults, glitches surrounding the tech masterpiece. Moreover, most of ps2 game dvds are not compatible with the ps3 which has raised several questions in the media. To confirm it, here's an article from softpedia.com -

What, you thought that the PS3 still had a shot at winning the console war? If you did, you're sadly mistaking
because it's pretty much over for the next-gen console from Sony, as CNN takes somewhat of a final look over the PS3 console and its status today:

"...the eagerly-anticipated PlayStation 3 has already lost this round of the console wars to its Japanese rival, Nintendo's Wii (See "Why Wii Won," May). Since late last year, when both consoles were released, the Wii has consistently outsold the PS3 in every major market.
Sony's PS3 is packed with costly gee-whiz features that turned out to be a drawback to consumers faced with choices."

As for Nintendo's Wii, the small, cheap and fun to play console, by the passing of each day it looks more and more like Drako Malfoy in Harry Potter. You know, everything's coming together, hitting all the right spots, can't go wrong..., evil laughter while Sony's PS3 slips into the mud.

"Nintendo's Wii simple, elegant design and low price are two reasons it's consistently outselling the PS3.For Nintendo, the number 3 company in the videogames business, it's a David-vs.-Goliath turnaround. For Kutaragi's team, who ruled the roost of this industry for 12 years, it's a shameful final defeat."

What worse way to step down from the position of Chairman and chief executive officer of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI), than when a console fails to sell? None. It's just a given, no one can do anything about it now.

Darthvader

Back From Deathstar
didnt u know that when he steppped down he said that he already had the design of ps 4 and ps 5 already finalized

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Pratyush said:
It seems that the seventh generation of console wars has been lost out by SONY as they are still struggling with their newest console, PS3. And with the resignation of Ken Kutaragi, the mastermind who created the playstation, it fuels the chances of Sony losing this console war. Till now, wii has outcasted Sony in every region and Sony is still struggling with technical faults, glitches surrounding the tech masterpiece. Moreover, most of ps2 game dvds are not compatible with the ps3 which has raised several questions in the media. To confirm it, here's an article from softpedia.com -

What, you thought that the PS3 still had a shot at winning the console war? If you did, you're sadly mistaking
because it's pretty much over for the next-gen console from Sony, as CNN takes somewhat of a final look over the PS3 console and its status today:

"...the eagerly-anticipated PlayStation 3 has already lost this round of the console wars to its Japanese rival, Nintendo's Wii (See "Why Wii Won," May). Since late last year, when both consoles were released, the Wii has consistently outsold the PS3 in every major market.
Sony's PS3 is packed with costly gee-whiz features that turned out to be a drawback to consumers faced with choices."

As for Nintendo's Wii, the small, cheap and fun to play console, by the passing of each day it looks more and more like Drako Malfoy in Harry Potter. You know, everything's coming together, hitting all the right spots, can't go wrong..., evil laughter while Sony's PS3 slips into the mud.

"Nintendo's Wii simple, elegant design and low price are two reasons it's consistently outselling the PS3.For Nintendo, the number 3 company in the videogames business, it's a David-vs.-Goliath turnaround. For Kutaragi's team, who ruled the roost of this industry for 12 years, it's a shameful final defeat."

What worse way to step down from the position of Chairman and chief executive officer of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI), than when a console fails to sell? None. It's just a given, no one can do anything about it now.
Yups , Xbox 360 crushed it .

n now with 360 Elite out , it's better than PS3 in all aspects .

OP
Pratyush

Pratyush

Broken In
yeah. i agree. but doesn't it seems obvious that he said this only bcoz he wanted to show the whole world that he is still involved in all this. cmon, i think sony told him to do so.

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. said this
"Mr. Kutaragi will now apply his extensive technological knowledge and leadership skills to take on new challenges beyond the world of PlayStation."

NOBODY in their right minds would resign for this SILLY reason. i think sony's hiding something from us gamers.

Kutaragi telling he has designs of ps4 and 5 ready is an overstatement. the fact is even sony was telling before ps3's launch that ps3's life is of ten years. considering this, it means ps5 will release after 12-15 years at least or even more than that. no one's got the idea what technology will prevail in the future. so, you simply cant pre-design it a decade yearlier.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
n now with 360 Elite out , it's better than PS3 in all aspects .

no it is not...look at the hardware specs only & the ps3 is much better...the xbox360 elite is same as xbox 360..it has only got a larger hard disc ,hdmi port & black finias...& it costs so much more....:mad: it doesnt even have an hd dvd drive

OP
Pratyush

Pratyush

Broken In
here's a link which would clear all your doubts regarding the resignation of Ken Kutaragi-
*crunchgear.com/2007/04/26/ken-kutaragi-resigns-weeping-heard-in-solid-snakes-condo/

And more to show the downfall of PS3 -

*www.lostremote.com/2007/03/19/wii-top-selling-console-in-feb-blows-away-ps3/
*www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2007-06-07-wii-outsells-ps3_N.htm

you know, there is even news of sony cutting out jobs in North America due to poor PS3 sales:D check this out

*www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2007/06/07/afx3800835.html

K

krazyfrog

I think the battle is far from over, leave alone Sony losing it. The most important games for ps3 are yet to arrive. Its those games that'll decide its fates.
Btw Pratyush why do have an avatar similar to mine?

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
ssk_the_gr8 said:
no it is not...look at the hardware specs only & the ps3 is much better...the xbox360 elite is same as xbox 360..it has only got a larger hard disc ,hdmi port & black finias...& it costs so much more....:mad: it doesnt even have an hd dvd drive
Xbox 360 Elite costs 480 USD whereas PS3 60 GB model costs 600 USD , n hardware specs don't really mean it gives better performance .

Also , 99% of Games of PS3 n Xbox 360 r same give or take a few exclusives .

And , Xbox Live kicks PSN's ass .

Overall 360 is the winner between It and PS3 .

OP
Pratyush

Pratyush

Broken In
krazyfrog said:
I think the battle is far from over, leave alone Sony losing it. The most important games for ps3 are yet to arrive. Its those games that'll decide its fates.
Btw Pratyush why do have an avatar similar to mine?

Yes, you are right. The battle will continue and SONY is not going to give up so easily. But, the present situation of Sony is so bad that it has left all of us wondering. Many say the price is the only reason for this downfall. others think sony made a gamble by introducing new tech. like blue ray which ultimately creatd problems for sony.

but then, sony has a huge lineup of games that are bound to be killer apps unless something disastrous occurs. a few of them being mgs4, gow, dmc (devil may cry), GTA IV and loads. But you have to consider that this time both, ms and nintendo are doing extremely well. if u have followed the above links u wud have noticed that PS3 is outnumbered by 5-1 from nintendo's wii(in japan). the fact that ps3 has a huge lineup of good games can be said for the wii too. after all, who can compare to the mario series, zelda, pokemon and hundreds of nintendo exclusives.

krazyfrog,
sorry, i totally forgot that u had a similar avatar. actually, i am a huge fan of sony and the ps2. i have been gaming on the ps2 for quite a long time. i was browsing through ps2 pics when i got this one. i am extremely sorry. i will change it.

karmanya

Journeyman
Sony may have lost the initial battles- but the war is far from over.Give sony some time. I feel that becuz of the amazin success the ps2 was sony took the ps3 for granted and did not keep the competition in mind.

K

krazyfrog

The next God of War is most probably gonna be on PS3 only. That game is sure to kick microsoft and nintendo's ass.

OP
Pratyush

Pratyush

Broken In
krazyfrog said:
The next God of War is most probably gonna be on PS3 only. That game is sure to kick microsoft and nintendo's ass.

Absolutely. God of War was and is the best title title on PS2 and has a lot of loyal fans(includ. me) There's even an announcement of GOW III coming only to ps3. but it will release in q4 2008-'09 something like that.

By the way, has anyone had hands-on experience with wii?!! if yes, does the motion sensing is always smooth. doesn't it lags sometimes.you know, the best thing about wii is its wiimote. that's why it's sales are soooooo high(n also due to the price)

currently, i am trying to get all upcoming games for all 3 consoles so that we can know what's in store for us in future.

Here's the list of the upcoming PS3 games. All games listed are officially announced. So, games like god of war 3 is not listed as it's not officially announced.

Assassin's Creed
Grand Theft Auto IV
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Need for Speed ProStreet
Guitar Hero III
Transformers: The Game
The Darkness
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Final Fantasy XIII
Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer
FIFA Soccer 08
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Stranglehold
Resident Evil 5
Devil May Cry 4
Gran Turismo HD Concept
F.E.A.R. 2 (working title)
Tekken 6
Lair
NCAA Football 08
Rock Band
SOCOM: Confrontation
Haze
Heavenly Sword
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
BlackSite: Area 51
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway
Madden NFL 08
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Killzone (working title)
Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007
NBA 08
All-Pro Football 2K8
Warhawk
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Dynasty Warriors: GUNDAM
WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2008
NASCAR 08
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
DiRT
Half-Life 2: The Orange Box
Tom Clancy's EndWar
Army of Two
LittleBigPlanet
The Sims 3 (working title)
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
PAIN
Folklore
Fallout 3
Saints Row 2 (working title)
Blazing Angels 2: Secret Missions of WWII
Burnout Paradise
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
PlayStation Home
The Last Remnant
Skate
Tomb Raider 8 (working title)

that's all for ps3. will post for wii next.

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Like i said most games r same barrin a few Exclusives .

You won't expect Microsoft to ship Halo for Ps3 or Gears of War :D

Other than that Most 3rd party developers will publish games for both the platforms

Last edited:
OP
Pratyush

Pratyush

Broken In
here's the list of upcoming wii games -

WII
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Pokemon Battle Revolution
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy
Manhunt 2
The BIGS
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree - RELEASING TODAY
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
FIFA Soccer 08
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Guitar Hero III
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3
Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution
Ghost Squad
Geometry Wars: Galaxies
Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn
Carnival Games
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
Soulcalibur Legends
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Harvest Moon Wii
Godzilla: Unleashed
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
MySims
Darren Reid's The Half Broken Crown: The Broken Kingdoms
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Brothers In Arms Double Time
Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Donkey Kong (working title)
Need for Speed ProStreet
NBA Live 08
Escape from Bug Island
Battalion Wars 2
SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab
Madden NFL 08
Driver: Parallel Lines
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
TNA iMPACT! (working title)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08
EA Playground

there are few more but they are not big titles, so i have not listed them.

XBOX 360 upcoming games list-

BioShock
Tenchu Z
NCAA Football 08
Halo 3
All-Pro Football 2K8
Need for Speed ProStreet
DiRT
Overlord
Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures
The Darkness
Rock Band
Madden NFL 08
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
Half-Life 2: The Orange Box
FIFA Soccer 08
Grand Theft Auto IV
Assassin's Creed
Two Worlds
Naruto: Rise of a Ninja
Mass Effect
Fable 2
Gears of War 2 (working title)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Haze
Tom Clancy's EndWar
NASCAR 08
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Fallout 3
Halo Wars
Blue Dragon
Medal of Honor: Airborne
NBA Live 08
Resident Evil 5
Army of Two
Guitar Hero III
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
Skate
Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway
NBA 2K8
The BIGS
BlackSite: Area 51
NHL 08
Stranglehold
Dynasty Warriors: GUNDAM
Devil May Cry 4
Alone in the Dark
Project Gotham Racing 4
Unreal Tournament 3
TNA iMPACT! (working title)
Saints Row 2 (working title
The Last Remnant
Virtua Fighter 5
Alan Wake
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
TimeShift
Burnout Paradise
Dead or Alive 5

there are many more releases for x360. so, it was impossible to post all.

Last edited:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Yes.PS3 has definately lost in the battle now.Xbox wins.
But looking at the PS3 specs it's time will come in near future.

OP
Pratyush

Pratyush

Broken In
if u see all the 3 lists, u will find that xbox360 has the best titles available. almost all titles available on ps3 are on xbox too. even devil may cry, considered to be a ps exclusive, has made to x360.let's compare all the 3 -

1. Exclusive games

ps3 now has god of war, gran turismo,metal gear solid, ratchet & clank, killzone only as exclusives.

whereas, x360 has halo, gears of war, alan wake, fable, dungeon siege, forza motorsport and loads more.

talking of wii, nintendo has zelda, mario, paper mario, donkey kong, mario kart and hundreds of nintendo classics that are bound to be successful.

Final Verdict - there's a tie between x360 and wii. microsoft has really done much to ensure exclusives even from 3rd party developers. and more, it has it's own line of games like fable, forza, halo.
wii has the advantage of nintendo's experience of 30 years in the gaming scenario. so, it has the edge with zelda, mario etc.

2. 3rd party developers

till now, 3rd party developers are supporting ms's x360 and many titles which were exclusive to sony have been ported to xbox.

ps3 also has a huge base of 3rd party games but all of these games are multiplatformed i.e. they are on x360 also.

wii is lacking much behind when it comes to 3rd party games. though nintendo is consistently trying to ensure that the wii gets good 3rd party games (and it is proved by the fact that manhunt2, brother in arms and wwe are coming on wii) it hasn't thoroughly succeeded.

Final Verdict - a tie between x360 and ps3. both have huge 3rd party developers support. but in the recent times, developers have started complaining that it is difficult to make games for the ps3.

3. Quality of games

the quality of games on each platform can't be discussed so early but we can foretell what it will be like.
PS3 has excellent hardware which's superior to it's counterparts. and this has shown off in almost all ps3 games.it has support for 720p, 1080i and 1080p. it even supports dts, dolby 5.1 for excellent sound effects. this makes ps3 games more rich in graphics, sound and gameplay.

XBOX 360 too has promising harware though it is no mtach for ps3. it has support for 720p and 1080i. till date, there was no 1080p support but ms has release a firmware upgrade which makes x360 support 1080p. it also has dolby 5.1 support.

WII doesn't has HD support. all games on wii support 480i,p resolution. so, in terms of graphical capabilities it is seriously lacking. the sound is also not too good.

Final Verdict - PS3 wins till now. but it depends on the developers how they make use of it.if current situation is taken, developers have really understood x360's hardware and find easier to make games for it than ps3.

4. The 'PRICE' FACTOR

PS3 is damn too expensive and if sony doesn't do something about it, then they will be doomed. PS3 games are also expensive than X360 games.

XBOX360 is competitively priced and all its games are cheaper than ps3's.

Wii too has a price lower than ps3 and xbox360. it's games are also cheap.

Final Verdict - you have to hand it to xbox. it has the most value for money. with it's hardware capabilities and excellent sound and support from developer's it the best choice for a casual as well as a hardcore gamer.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Pratyush said:
Final Verdict - you have to hand it to xbox. it has the most value for money. with it's hardware capabilities and excellent sound and support from developer's it the best choice for a casual as well as a hardcore gamer.
Plus , the Xbox 360 Controller is very very ergonomic n much betteer than the PS3's .

{I have played both systems for 6-7 hours at stretch loads of times }

OP
Pratyush

Pratyush

Broken In
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
Plus , the Xbox 360 Controller is very very ergonomic n much betteer than the PS3's .

{I have played both systems for 6-7 hours at stretch loads of times }

i don't know but i think ps3's controller is better than x360's. i have heard that after long gaming sessions, x360 controller get too slippery (due to your sweaty hands). i haven't played on x360 so no idea.

on the contrary, i feel ps3's controller is quite good in all respects. it has six-axis motion sensing which x360 lacks.wot d u think?;)

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Pratyush said:
i don't know but i think ps3's controller is better than x360's. i have heard that after long gaming sessions, x360 controller get too slippery (due to your sweaty hands). i haven't played on x360 so no idea.

on the contrary, i feel ps3's controller is quite good in all respects. it has six-axis motion sensing which x360 lacks.wot d u think?;)
i was expecting you to brag about Sixaxis motion sensing .

wel i was talking bout ergonomic design and in that respect Xbox 360 controller is miles ahead of PS3's which is just minor mod to PS2 controller .

the inclusion of both the analog sticks in the center puts strain on ur fingers when u have to use both of them at the same time .

whereas in 360 this is not the problem .(it's dsign is comewhat like that of the Dreamcast controller which too was hailed for it's ergonomic design)

ALso , i think sixaxis won't be used in many games coz the precision u get with analog sticks n buttons can hardly be achieved with motion sensing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom