Half-Life 2 Discussion

sms_solver

In the zone
There was time when game used to less than 1 MB, now a days game like Half Life 2 takes around (4-5 GB) of space.

I am not complaining

I think after 5 yrs game can occupy 40-50 GB of space, and they will come in 4-5 DVDs

OP
G

gxsaurav

Woooooooooooohhhhhhhhooooooooooooo

Another game completed rite on time, I just completed Half life 2, I have to leave for Delhi tomorrow at night, so I wanted to complete the game today, I played it for 6 hrs today, although with packets of 2 hrs, after that 1 hr rest, then again, play

I was in Highway 17 yesterday, at the bridge, today when I started I played the Nova prospect level, the Citadel, & dam, Havoc Engine rocks, dam useful in the game or maybe the game was made in a way to make use of it.

Still no idea what the story was, how many years have passed after HL1, & what happened in the end, after that portal blasted in the end & the G-Man came, what happened after that, are Alyx & Humans safe, does this means combine forces are over or not, still a lot of stories untold

I took screenshots on the way of my game play, but I was slow in taking them, dam the story is wisely scripted as a game by the storyline is completely bonkers, u have no idea of what is going on, how everything started & why u r doing all this, maybe for the freedom of mankind

& somebody tell me if the teleport combine made gives u ability to time travel then how in the end Dr. Breen was going to use it to teleport himself in another universe, hmm, Stefan Hawking anyone

Now about the game engine, graphics are beautifully crafted, even at DX8.1 it is really close to DX 9, I was able to use tweaks & played game at the settings of 1024X768 with 2XQ AA & 2X Anis, 85 Hz refresh rate, forced FP16, & DX9 mode, (the FX card tweaks apply here). There were no Outdoor scenes in D3 so I can’t directly compete, but the outdoors of HL2 are much better then even Far Cry, however, I found D3 to have a smooth finish on the indoors then HL2, the indoor scenes of D3 were a lot better. Also I have to admit, until now the best Fire I have seen in a game is UT2004

One bad thing, the sound engine is really horrible, When compared to Doom3 a game which this game was made to compete in the game engine market, it beats HL2 by every possible way, first there was the stuttering problem, that was solved but came again, then there were white lines in the game, well, ok, this can be a driver bug, also the sound in D3 used to sound like actually coming from somewhere close or whispering, like I used to go or follow the path or detect the monsters by their sound in D3, but nothing like that here, when hearing by Headphones. Valve really needs to polish that EAX engine even on my Audigy it doesn’t sounds any better then D3, but worse

Now come to the system wrecking thing, well, ok, just like D3, HL2 requires a lot of PC power, it played fine on my P4 3.06 GHz system with 512 MB RAM, however, I guess that even 512 MB was a bit low for it, as it used to slowdown my PC a lot when exiting, but this was solved when I added 2X128 MB of more RAM to my system, my Page file was at default of what I use, 512 MB, in Dual Channel DDR mode. I bought the RAM from a friend, so no investment as 512 is still enough for me

I have given a link to download a zip of all the screen shots I took, they are recompressed at the resolution of 800X600 with high compression to minimize the file size, just download the zip, I edited them to add my subtitles

*www.geocities.com/gx_saurav/gfiles/HL2.zip 944 KB

beaditya

Journeyman
all ya guys , who say that u'v done with the game .....upload your saved games somewhere on the net so that everyone else can download em and see wht u'v really done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hate games wherin the first stages do not have action in em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ashis

In the zone
funkymonkey said:
well I finally completed HL2 and I am gona start all over again.
This was great game. Great graphics and played amazingly well at 1600x1200 with 4XAA and 8XAF with all details set to high and water set to reflect all.
It was really amazing experience.
It took me while to complete some stages as I was playing on Hard mode from the start itself.
Rs.1499 totally vasool.
Now I am addicted to HL2 deathmatch. Freaking addictive and fun multiplayer. got 134 using only gravity gun. lol.

What Must Be The System requirment Hah... Tell Me Bout???

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Guys...what frame rates are you people getting in the game ? lowest and highest ? For those that dont know how to get frame rates I personally use FRAPS get it here :

*www2.fraps.com/FRAPS250.EXE

. Its simple and easy to use.

NikhilVerma

Padawan
You sould have told yours first...

Anyways.. I run HL2 on my G4MX4000 Card and I get fps of above 30 at 1024x768

The lowest lies around 21 and highest reaches to 50

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
I didnt mention mine becoz I hadnt tested it yet. Anyways I went home and tested it and the avg I get is around 60 fps and never goes below 30 on 1024*768

Aparajith

Broken In
Is my configuration specified in my signature enough to play HALF LIFE 2 because am having problems playing the game.It opens ,shows the VALVE symbol,shows the LOADING..... message and then exits the game.No Dialogs,errors and so on.Please help.

Aparajith .S

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
yes ur system is just good enough 2 play the game...it might b the memory...it needs 256MB and u have just 256MB....

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
well which loading screen do u mean??? the 1 where the game starts or the one when u load a game or start a new game...i mean do u get the main menu????

Aparajith

Broken In
No dude I get the screen with VALVE`s symbol [the man with a valve on his face ] and then immediately it shows the LOADING.... symbol with that landscape picture and it immediately exits to Windows.
Hope you guys have a solution for this as someone else too would have experienced it.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
well i still think its the low memory.....it starts 2 load but then lack of memory prevents it frm loading...try these 2 things:
1. try adding more RAM and then play the game
2. try the game on a computer with a similar config

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
ummm check the bazaar section, there was a guy selling 128MB RDRAM...but yea...RDRAM is almost dead....the reason i said it was the RAM is that i played the game on a computer with P4 2GHz and 512MB RD RAM and it would lag at times and take a long time 2 load after autosaving the game...but now im playin it on a 3Ghz P4 with 1GB DDR RAM and am having no trouble at all...it runs really smoothly....

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
borg said:
c'mon Saurabh man. I am not that late, am I?. HL2 was released just a couple months ago.

Half-Life 2 hit India on November 22, 2004, so you're 3.9 months / 96 days / approx. 2304 hours / approx. 138240 minutes / approx. 8294400 seconds late. :D So most people have finished playing the game at least thrice, so that's why Sourabh said "Better late than never" :lol:

Top Bottom