Hackers get access to iPhone firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

looksvivek

Broken In
It's been a busy weekend for all those lucky enough to snag an iPhone. I've been glued to my computer for the past 48 hours and based on public opinion, I don't think that the launch and the product could have gone any better. Remember, there have been few tech products as hyped and revered as the iPhone -- only Windows 95 comes close in terms of hype -- and I think it will be a while before we see another one.
I keep trying to compare the launch of the iPhone with the launch of the Microsoft Zune. Both products were launched into mature markets and both had a generous amount of marketing lavished upon them. And yet the Zune with all its hype is a complete flop. Microsoft has left it to flounder and instead of upgrading the software to make the device better they've dropped the price and changed the colours. It's not even as good as the first generation iPod which is 5 years old now.

Any way you cut it, love or hate Apple you've got to admit that the iPhone will change the game.
Now, to some must read articles:

Hackers are already on to it.
Hackers found the link to download the restore image for iPhone hidden away on Akamai mirrors. They're now working on how to open the encrypted OS X disk image within the restore file -- the key is somewhere in the iPhone itself. How long till the device is hacked and we get the ability to use SIM cards from any carrier and load in our own plugins and apps?

Jobs shows up for iPhone launch
Steve visits the Apple store in Palo Alto for the launch. For a guy who has a (government sanctioned) numberplateless car, we can only assume he had a bevy of security people dressed up to look like starstruck iPhone fans.

Apple posts photos from launch.
Just look at all those happy, happy people. No aggro customers in this Apple-selected lot!

Complete Interface Walkthrough
If you're still uncertain about why the iPhone rocks check out the Engadget complete interface walkthrough.

iPhone in the real world.
Dave Caolo over at TUAW takes the iPhone out on the street, and loves it.

Time reviews the iPhone
And loves it.

PC World tries to destroy an iPhone
PC World drops and tries to scratch an iPhone but it doesn't break or scratch.

How Apple will conquer the wireless industry
Interesting take on how Apple will use the iPhone to take over the wireless industry.

Courtesy: APCMAG

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
looksvivek said:
Any way you cut it, love or hate Apple you've got to admit that the iPhone will change the game.

yeah... bet it definitely will. :) :) Just wait for custom firmwares and unlock methods to pop up soon.... this is goin to be a *custom-made* wireless killer !!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
i agree.. we'll soon haf custom firmware. iphone hardware is underutilised. the software is crippled! i'm sure people will soon change the macos based core to linux core and then you'll haf a winner in ur hands! :) an unlocked beast!

OP
looksvivek

looksvivek

Broken In
yeah, the ui is really hot though. i love the way you can flip through albums with you finger only.. awesome.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
The USP is the UI. You install Linux on it and you lose the UI and the warranty. I would never dream of doing something like that if I had the "Jesus Phone".

I'm sure Apple is going to fix the flaws and restrictions in the OS ASAP. At least, I hope so. :D

faraaz

Evil Genius
He he he...but to Apple's credit, they have a crack team of designers...here's hoping we get a crack team of crackers who make this piece of $hit usable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom